Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what really bothers me! How many F/S picks can you nominate in a year? If they all come available at once it could be a problem.

We're due for some good luck! Some of the teams out there have absolutely killed it in the Father son stuff and it's won them flags! Teams like Geelong. Picking up top real high quality Father son picks and using round one draft picks well in the same year completely accelerates a team's building process, especially if this happens more than once like with Geelong.

Dare I say it, we might have to do something dodgy like get one of the kids to not nominate for the draft so we can pick them up another year. Perhaps employ them to "work" at the club so they still get a first year player's wage. Explain that not many players play in their first year, let them play with the Northern Blues and use all our facilities. I think we tried and failed to do this with Sheldon.

Don't expect other clubs not to put a bid in for Silvagni just to screw us. Even if he might be adamant on going to Carlton. Essendon had to take Joe Daniher with pick 10. Would be no harm in perhaps influencing a kid like this to hold back or fake injury.

Terrific program the club has here. It's great to see that the club is welcoming in the families and the young potential players. Make Visy park feel like home before it actually is and get them wanting to play for Carlton before they are drafted, maybe they will agree to hold off nominating for the draft so they can play here then.

Silvagni looks like being every bit as big as his old man, I'd guess he'd be about 6 2 or 3 if Rice (Mark Wahlberg) is 6 foot. Wouldn't Worry too much about Bradley, his old man wasn't overly big and he was a superstar.

People questioning whether Adrian Gleeson is the father. No question with those eyebrows! Great to see him get a game and do well in the VFL seniors too, maybe another one to watch, possible late bloomer.

Better scenario would be that they're all guns and eligible in the same year. Means we'd pay market value for one of them (first round pick) then nab two of them for a 2nd and 3rd rounder like Bulldogs did when they picked up Libba Jr for a 2nd round pick in the 40's because Wallis was also eligible that year.

I think that St Kilda have been complacent in their thinking that he is just going to go into the draft and they will just glide in and take him with a low pick.

I don't know how you could have possibly come to that conclusion. :confused:

St Kilda haven't said anything on the topic IIRC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't sound like any of these players were selected for the under 16 champs. Don't know why some are pencilling all of them in. Buckley played. Sound like longshots ATM.

Wouldn't worry too much about this, I read somewhere Stephen was nothing special at school aged footy and was a bit of a late bloomer. These boys are likely still growing, especially the tall ones, the other stuff like power and coordination often comes after growing stops. Their pedigree and the fact they are actually playing high quality junior footy at their very young age is a good start.

Fingers crossed these guys don't peak too early, are guns and we pick them up without having to use a first rounder on them. Plenty of examples where the best juniors aren't that good in the AFL and vice versa. Plenty of kids who miss out, play a few seasons of state footy before they get drafted and become guns.

The club may already be telling these guys to hold back. Will know for sure in a few years any way.

Better scenario would be that they're all guns and eligible in the same year. Means we'd pay market value for one of them (first round pick) then nab two of them for a 2nd and 3rd rounder like Bulldogs did when they picked up Libba Jr for a 2nd round pick in the 40's because Wallis was also eligible that year.

Better scenario is that they are all available in the one draft but are late bloomers, we keep our first pick, draft a gun with it and the F/S turn out to be guns as well, get an influx of talent into the club that is up there with a new franchise club, win a couple of flags because of it. All these gun teams have one or two super drafts in their history, that's all we need.

Alot of players are late bloomers and shouldn't be written off at 16

Dane Swan comes to mind.
There are heaps, Stratton, Barlow even could count Rowe and White at Carlton as good players. Most kids aren't ready to go until they are in their 20s at least. I don't think SOS played much in his first year did he?

Wouldn't worry too much about this, I read somewhere Stephen was nothing special at school aged footy and was a bit of a late bloomer. These boys are likely still growing, especially the tall ones, the other stuff like power and coordination often comes after growing stops. Their pedigree and the fact they are actually playing high quality junior footy at their very young age is a good start.

Fingers crossed these guys don't peak too early, are guns and we pick them up without having to use a first rounder on them. Plenty of examples where the best juniors aren't that good in the AFL and vice versa. Plenty of kids who miss out, play a few seasons of state footy before they get drafted and become guns.

The club may already be telling these guys to hold back. Will know for sure in a few years any way.
That is some of the best wishful thinking I have ever seen I sure hope that you're right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back