Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
HCJ view comes from this article in the Age today

Andrew Newbold urges overhaul of father-son and academy picks in drive towards equalisation

Basically highlights a push towards a "pure" draft and to have f/s and academy bidding more appropriately priced. One suggestion was to make it only 1 player/year.
Interesting. Can't see that happening though. It'd be like a restraint of trade but draft if you stop a father son getting to their father's club. Plus you'd most likely end up with father son's just leaving the club for their father's club at the end of their first contract.

I haven't. He was my first ever favourite player. He broke my heart.

He was certainly up there as a player I loved to watch. Funnily enough, he used to love playing against Essendon and he almost always lifted his performance against them.

What's the big deal with the F/S rule anyway?
It's much fairer now than what it used to be when Geelong got GAJ and Scarlett for peanuts.
At least now there is a bidding process and you only have to look at McDonald who went to North last year.
I don't think anyone would argue that wasn't a fair result for everyone involved.

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
What's the big deal with the F/S rule anyway?
It's much fairer now than what it used to be when Geelong got GAJ and Scarlett for peanuts.
At least now there is a bidding process and you only have to look at McDonald who went to North last year.
I don't think anyone would argue that wasn't a fair result for everyone involved.
I think it's because the northern clubs say because they are unlikely to have f/a picks anytime soon that academy picks are their equivalent.

Although academy picks are always the best talent in their zones. Whereas father son picks are luck of the draw more or less.

I think it's because the northern clubs say because they are unlikely to have f/a picks anytime soon that academy picks are their equivalent.

Although academy picks are always the best talent in their zones. Whereas father son picks are luck of the draw more or less.

That's BS for the Lions and Swans - they're just as likely to get F/S selections as much as the rest of us.
Swans got Mitchell not that long ago and the Lions can bid on Tyler Roos at the end of the year.
And the Lions did happen to get Jonathan Brown - and his old man only played about 52 games for Fitzroy.

And the Suns and Giants have had so many concessions thrown at them it's making my head spin.
It's time the AFL took it's head out of it's @rse and started supporting some of the foundation clubs of the AFL FFS.

coryne

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Pretty much this. Understand academies for gws and the gcs but the swans and lions have been around long enough to get f/s like the rest of us.

I like a suggestion from the main board, work out roughly the league average for f/s selections/club over a 10 year period and allow that many kids to be taken from the academy system. Alternatively let them take 1 player every 3 or 4 years.

They talk about the time/money/resources required to run the academies but every club would jump at the chance to run one if given the opportunity

HereComesJuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Nope. The previous poster was correct.

Nope. CLEARLY you missed the part where I mentioned it's on the agenda and the 18 clubs have already sat down and discussed making the competition more fair. Or you just have no idea.

Equalisation (F/S) has already been discussed and making it equal for all clubs is what will most likely be happening. Wouldn't surprise me it it takes effect as of this year or next. That's why I believed and mentioned: if its not here already it's not far away!
It has been mentioned for a few years now and I am surprised you didn't know this...

Jul 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I have no problem with academy selections. Brisbane and Sydney don't have the luxury of going into the draft with every second player Victorian and the rest a mixture of mostly SA and WA. With each Victorian player they pick there's always the chance they're going to ask for a trade back home due to homesickness. There's hardly any NSW/QLD draftees picked up each year so why shouldn't they get first priority in selecting the only players without the risk of homesickness?

BlackGoanna

Premium Gold
Aug 17, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I have no problem with academy selections. Brisbane and Sydney don't have the luxury of going into the draft with every second player Victorian and the rest a mixture of mostly SA and WA. With each Victorian player they pick there's always the chance they're going to ask for a trade back home due to homesickness. There's hardly any NSW/QLD draftees picked up each year so why shouldn't they get first priority in selecting the only players without the risk of homesickness?

Not sure homesickness is a factor these days. Sydney get a huge win with Heeney is a joke.

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I know its not entirely the case. But last year with Polec, Docherty, Longer and Yeo from Brisbane pretty sure they used that excuse.

That's just Brisbane having a crap culture. Ask Doc ;)

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Just reading the st Kilda father son thread. They said Bailey Rice didn't attend a father son day out at the Freo game last week. When one poster asked why - they said "I think you know why...:("

Should also add, in a Carlton cheersquad facebook group my brother is in - Bailey Rice was recently added (and he agreed to join).

Good signs.

Just reading the st Kilda father son thread. They said Bailey Rice didn't attend a father son day out at the Freo game last week. When one poster asked why - they said "I think you know why...:("

Should also add, in a Carlton cheersquad facebook group my brother is in - Bailey Rice was recently added (and he agreed to join).

Good signs.

He played for Dandenong on the weekend and whilst he didn't get a heap of footy he did a few nice things.
As a bottom ager i'm hoping he'll improve next year so we have some tough decisions to make over him and Silvagni.

coryne

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
He played for Dandenong on the weekend and whilst he didn't get a heap of footy he did a few nice things.
As a bottom ager i'm hoping he'll improve next year so we have some tough decisions to make over him and Silvagni.

1402380199045.gif

coryne

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
^^^^
Depends on what we'd have to give up in the bidding system next year and how they compare against other players.
Next years top end talent looks pretty good so far.

Yeah I know, but as the bidding systems stands today it would (at worst) be our 1st and 2nd rd picks (ala Wallas and Libba). If the AFL changes the system between now and then is another story ........

HereComesJuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah I know, but as the bidding systems stands today it would (at worst) be our 1st and 2nd rd picks (ala Wallas and Libba). If the AFL changes the system between now and then is another story ........

You never know. If we have another bad year and finish low, no one might bid before our first pick and we could get a gun with our first and then one of them with our 2nd.

Back