Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Get young Bradley to put off nominating for the draft, get him a contract with The Northern Blues, employ him to mow the lawns at Visy park for 40K a year, allow him to train with Carlton...

Basically the same situation as being a first year player just that he doesn't get a chance to play seniors, not that many kids do in their first year anyway.

Get young Bradley to put off nominating for the draft, get him a contract with The Northern Blues, employ him to mow the lawns at Visy park for 40K a year, allow him to train with Carlton...

Basically the same situation as being a first year player just that he doesn't get a chance to play seniors, not that many kids do in their first year anyway.
Get the club to use Kenny Sheldon's boy as an example of what not to do.

But what benefit does that provide the club ??? We will still need to draft him the year after and it would (almost certainly) cost more than the 4th rd pick it would cost us if we drafted him in the same year as SOS and Rice (and assuming we keep our 1st rd selection)

let me tell you there is not a boy in the land who will bypass a draft to get picked up the next year. No athlete would do that. They want to play footy at the highest stage and thats it. Would you hold back a year if they asked you to? I know i wouldnt

This.

Sam Sheldon is the prime example.

We told him that we'd select him as a F/S in 2007, however he was given an assurance by Brisbane (as part payback for us "stealing" their father-son Murphy) that they would take him in 2006.

This.

We told him that we'd select him as a F/S in 2007, however he was given an assurance by Brisbane (as part payback for us "stealing" their father-son Murphy) that they would take him in 2006.
And how did that turn out for young Sam?

This.

That worked out well for Brisbane :p

And how did that turn out for young Sam?

I don't know much about the predraft situation with Sam, but from what I saw of him at Brisbane, I don't think an extra year of TAC cup would've made him a successful afl player.

By the sounds of it Jack Silvagni will be a no brainer, but i'd really like see how Rice plays next year for the Stingrays.
Where have you got that impression with Jack? I know it was documented that he was doing well early in his juniors. Young Bradley and Rice are on the TAC u/18 lists as bottom ager's and have both had game time. Is Jack even on a TAC list? If not where is he playing?

I'm hearing the opposite to a lot of people on here re: Jack Silvagni.

A person who I trust that watches him every week says that it's all hype (not that it wouldn't be at under 16's level) and that if his name wasn't Silvagni, he wouldn't stand out nearly as much as people make out that he does.

I hope he's wrong, but as I said, he watches him play on a weekly basis.

Where have you got that impression with Jack? I know it was documented that he was doing well early in his juniors. Young Bradley and Rice are on the TAC u/18 lists as bottom ager's and have both had game time. Is Jack even on a TAC list? If not where is he playing?

I must have gotten the wrong impression from the very limited info I have heard about Jack Silvagni.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not good - but he was a limited role player anyway.

I suspect that with sentiment aside, he would have endured the same fate in our squad.
I suspect that you would have been right... especially with our development program back then.

If he is any good, just wondering why he is not in the Oakleigh Charges squad?
If hes at Xavier on a scholarship, school footy would contractually come before TAC cup as far as I'm aware.

Did Jack Watts or Tom Scully play much TAC cup before they were drafted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back