Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
Thank god other ppl remember.

When they changed compo rule from winning 4 or less games in one year to two years it cost us a top 5 pick. Then we went and appealed as one of our games was a draw plus we had been over punished from the salary cap punishment...but no.

Then essendon appeals being kicked out of the draft ......yeah no probs you can have a couple of picks back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
No. The timing wasn't deliberately done to penalize us but I can think of a few changes that sucked in their "but geez, we were just about to benefit from-ness".

Yes we were "reamed" back in 2006, when the AFL retrospectively changed the qualification criteria for a Priority Pick.

So instead of receiving Pick 1 and 3 in the 2006 draft we ended up with Pick 1 and Pick 17.

The club protested but we didn't have the AFL "Good ole boys Media" Network going into bat for us, like they did for Essendon* during their drug cheating scandal. :mad:

Would have been nice to pick up Joel Selwood in that draft rather than Shaun Hampson or Shaun Grigg.

Not that we probably would have picked Joel Selwood at Pick 3 anyway...:rolleyes:

Not exactly father-son, but Daisy's little girl Matilda arrived today and Andrew Walker's little girl Leti was born today too.
Mick's granddaughter was born on Monday...must be something in the water!

Almost exactly 9 months after our biggest win last year (85 pts over the saints).... Just sayin...

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Reading a few of the phantom drafts which are usually reasonably accurate. None of them have any of our FS rated higher than late 4th rounder/rookie spot. I would be keen to give them all a go on a rookie spot but would just need to clear a few from our list to fit them all in and our other draft/trade selections.

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Reading a few of the phantom drafts which are usually reasonably accurate. None of them have any of our FS rated higher than late 4th rounder/rookie spot. I would be keen to give them all a go on a rookie spot but would just need to clear a few from our list to fit them all in and our other draft/trade selections.

Based on current form, I would guess SOS will go higher bec it would appear he has great skills and poise, and these are rare and highly desired traits. You cannot teach this sort of thing.
Unless he is injury prone and slow as a tank, this combo makes him a good prospect I would have thought.

But I would be happy to get him late :)

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Based on current form, I would guess SOS will go higher bec it would appear he has great skills and poise, and these are rare and highly desired traits. You cannot teach this sort of thing.
Unless he is injury prone and slow as a tank, this combo makes him a good prospect I would have thought.

But I would be happy to get him late :)

He sounds similar to someone like Reece McKenzie last year, only played the 1 season of TAC but came in and made a big impact but was still a bit of an unknown. If SOSOS continues form he might go up rankings but is rare for a player to go from totally off the radar to first round calculations.. Also clubs knowing that he is only going one place CFC wont bother putting in the time scouting him.

I also think talls are more of an unknown
Someone is going to see the name Silvagni and see that the dad is Steve and they arent even going to bother scouting him.

It was like when SOS's cousin Alex entered the draft (both times)... I think that everyone automatically assumed that Carlton would be drafting him, so they were surprised when we made no move on him and Freo grabbed him in the rookie draft in 2010. He had actually tried to go into the draft in 2006 apparently and no one took him then either.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Someone is going to see the name Silvagni and see that the dad is Steve and they arent even going to bother scouting him.

It was like when SOS's cousin Alex entered the draft (both times)... I think that everyone automatically assumed that Carlton would be drafting him, so they were surprised when we made no move on him and Freo grabbed him in the rookie draft in 2010. He had actually tried to go into the draft in 2006 apparently and no one took him then either.
Alex is one of SOS's distant cousins sons isn't he and had only met SOS once or twice? The reason he wasn't drafted was not because of his name but because he hadn't shown a lot at that stage.

OldSaintsBro

Debutant
Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Went and watched Bailey Rice today. He got in the best players again playing offensive half back. Got a bad corky late in 3rd quarter. Came back on in 4th qtr to get another corky. Played through it, so he is tough. Hardly wastes a disposal. Looks laconic, but has the talent to make AFL. Kicks well, handballs excellent, strong mark, tackles stick and are bone crunching. I noticed he is very fast off the mark. Needs to work on his tank. Plus I was told that he was BOG for his school team the other week kicking nine goals in the first half before switching to the back line for the second half.

Carlton better pull their finger out as I heard they are losing ground rapidly to the Saints in winning his heart and mind. Bit of talk around the TAC traps that Carlton's recruiting set up and staff are in disarray at the moment, or at least missing in action.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
Love your updates oldblubro, really appreciate the info.

Very disappointing news regarding the club losing the rice battle and not on top of their game recruiting wise.

Wtf is going on down there? Can't win games, can't sign up members that want to sign up and can't win players off Saint kilda!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back