Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard it on GuesSEN and it was from Terry Wallet so a pinch of salt required but the stats say there have been 73 F/Ss taken since drafting began in 86/7. 36 have gone onto make a living from footy. 18 of the 73 have gone onto be top level standard. Basically 24% or 1 in 4 have really kicked on - not sure what the criteria was, probably premierships, awards, games played etc.

So the AFL has officially changed the father son rule - talk about turning of the dim light at the end of the tunnel.

I heard it on GuesSEN and it was from Terry Wallet so a pinch of salt required but the stats say there have been 73 F/Ss taken since drafting began in 86/7. 36 have gone onto make a living from footy. 18 of the 73 have gone onto be top level standard. Basically 24% or 1 in 4 have really kicked on - not sure what the criteria was, probably premierships, awards, games played etc.

Another useless and predictable stat by Wallet

Classic AFL, wait till carlton have 3 in a year and scrap it. If it was the doggies or melbourne there's no chance there'd do it.

Just like when they scraped compo picks from 1 year of 4 wins or less to two years. Who was the only team to miss? Us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I Club X (pardon the pun) say SOSOS is worth their first pick and they want him and that pick is 8 what does that mean?

I don't get it

Prob bec I can't be faaaarked to read the elongated explanation of how it works

Sounds like one needs an algorithm to calculate it

How ridiculous seriously

AFL have too many peeps on their books , too much time on their hands , to come up with this new rule change

In saying that I was peeved Ess got Joe Blow for pick 10 or whatever it was as he was commonly rated in the top 2-3

Can some read it and explain it to me in English what this new rule means? Its doing my head in.
Every pick is assigned a value. When another club bids on your FS or academy player, you need to match 80% of the value with your following picks. For example say hawks bid pick 16 on Rice, we would have to match with pick say 19 and a downgrade of our next pick to make up the difference. The picks we 'spend' then get moved to the end of the draft.
Edit: I think pick 19 is worth more than 80% of pick 16 so I think we'd keep 19 and use our following picks in this scenario...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think it will hinder us too much.

1. Rice and SoS are not absolute guns like Heeney, the hard part is getting from say pick #18 to pick #2 that is near impossible, picks after about #5-#10 will be pretty easy to get to in this system and you get a 20% discount.
2. There is more likelihood that the team with the father son or academy player might pass if they cant afford the player. So bidding will be more realistic, meaning the picks you have to get to wont be as high. Melbourne might not have big pick 2 if they knew Sydney werent DEFINITELY going to take Heeney

So can a club get a F/S without another club bidding, or do other clubs bid to screw you over?

So can a club get a F/S without another club bidding, or do other clubs bid to screw you over?

I guess if everybody else passes, you could just pick them up with your pick as per normal.

But you'd be better off passing, waiting for someone to bid down the line and then using a discount to match that lower pick.

I'm still amazed no kid has ever challenged being sent to club they don't want to play for. They would win a restraint of trade case in a heartbeat.

Years ago I thought Buckley was going to pull that trigger.

Father/sons especially.

If a kid did that their career would be as good as over..The pressure that would come with that move would become unbearable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back