Past Father / Son - Josh Dunkley

Remove this Banner Ad

AlibiMonday

I'm sorry, Dave.
Sep 21, 2006
London
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...son-joshson-spat/story-e6frexx0-1226577393183

A FALLING out between Hall of Fame fullback Andrew Dunkley and the Sydney Swans could cost the club the chance of signing his talented son Josh under the AFL's father and son rule.
Dunkley has not been back to the club since he retired in 2002 and chose not to attend his own induction into the Swans' Hall of Fame two years ago.

Someone should smooth that out, not because of the Father-Son issue but because Dunkley was a great player and one of the reasons that 1996 was the Swans' brightest moment since 1945.

Not a particularly good read (in parts)
"In a perfect world he'd get a Victorian club.
"That's being selfish because of where we live (Victoria).
"I'm not against it (going to the Swans).
"I'd prefer to see him do it on his own merits.
"I'd be happy to see him just make it to the AFL."

but..

Although Dunkley attended the 2012 grand final to cheer on his former team, unlike his two sons - Josh and Kyle - he didn't go into the Swans' rooms after the game to share in the victory celebrations.

Work on Josh, try to keep the dad onside and keep Roos away from both of them.

Maybe Dunkley was disappointed with Roos' Al Bundy impression all these years..

423385-andrew-dunkley-and-paul-roos.jpg

al_bundy_gun_to_head.jpg

Dunkley was 34 when he 'retired', maybe against his will. It would be a shame if he has been holding a grudge against the club that served him will for the 10 years prior to that, which stops us from getting Josh under the F/S rule. All over a person who is no longer the coach.

Roosy seems to have pissed off a few people on his way to changing the culture & bringing regular success to our club.
If that is the collateral damage that comes with our success than so be it.

Things have changed. Playing for a Vic team can mean a career of misery if picked up by the wrong team. Should he choose the Swans, then he at least knows the club is as professional as it gets & based on recent history, his son has a chance of playing regular finals footy.

This may not be as bad as made out in the headline!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

meh, just looks like a bit of a nothing story tbh.

Nowhere does Dunkley say he doesn't want Josh at the swans, just rather he'd stay close to family in vic.
Josh's call in the end anyway. If they were all cheering in the 2012 Gf for Sydney things can't be that bad.

Just another case of media garbage, trying to create a headline out of thin air.

"That's being selfish because of where we live (Victoria).

That quote on its own is fair enough, but...

Dunkley now lives with his family in home town of Yarram in country Victoria, where he runs a farm machinery business and a property with 900 head of cattle.

...with this part of the article that quote would have a few members of Jed Lamb's family knocking at his door because I'm sure they did too when Jed was up for the draft:rolleyes:

Plus with the likes of Port, GWS, Gold Coast towards the bottom rungs of the ladder I wouldn't bet of a Victorian club anyway. That out of the way it seems just like a non committal answer two years before the draft and with the kid supporting us and the club in contact with father and son. I would be more worried if this article came out in August of 2014.

Roosy seems to have pissed off a few people on his way to changing the culture & bringing regular success to our club.

If that is the collateral damage that comes with our success than so be it.

Hear, hear.

Dunkley was part of a transition that started with Barrassi, and really got going when Eade took over.

But it was Roos who found the keys to the kingdom. If Dunkley can't see beyond that, too bad.

Two questions, is Josh any good? And does his dad even have a say in it?

If so, what kind of father would restrict his son from playing for a team if he loves or wants to play for them?

He never said he doesn't want his son to play for us only that idealy he would play for a Melbourne team because of where their family lives. A little selfish sure but so are we for wanting him to join us and maybe get an advantage on the rest of the competition.

There are no quotes from his sons who both went to the game and down to the Swans rooms after the game sugesting they are both open to the idea backed up by the statement we have been in contact over the last 18 months. Also if they both would like to play on the same team one day then we are also the best chance of this happening.

Overall i can see positives outweighing the negative of not being based in Melbourne but its up to his sons to decide what they want to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back