Father/Son Watch

Nuggo

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
Mornington
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dogs have been mentoring and training their potential father sons at a very young age for a while now. Is this another area were we are not up with the times?

Dogs have been mentoring and training their potential father sons at a very young age for a while now. Is this another area were we are not up with the times?
Any up this way would be part of the academy. Those in other states obviously won't be, but I doubt the Dogs (and the Eagles, who run a similar one) do anything with interstate players either.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Heard a rumour that Ashcroft's boy is going to be placed in the Suns' academy. So what happens in that situation should he be good enough to be drafted? The club with the highest pick gets him? The kid has the choice? The academy overrides father-son? Vice versa? Does anyone know how old he is?

Where is the clarity people!

Heard a rumour that Ashcroft's boy is going to be placed in the Suns' academy. So what happens in that situation should he be good enough to be drafted? The club with the highest pick gets him? The kid has the choice? The academy overrides father-son? Vice versa? Does anyone know how old he is?

Where is the clarity people!
Pretty sure it is like being eligible for Father-Son at two club's ... you pick one or the other or choose the draft.

So little Ashcroft could choose Academy or Team but either way better off in the Academy system now!

Of course you don't get a double discount if your dad's team and your Academy team are the same one :)

Pretty sure it is like being eligible for Father-Son at two club's ... you pick one or the other or choose the draft.

So little Ashcroft could choose Academy or Team but either way better off in the Academy system now!

Of course you don't get a double discount if your dad's team and your Academy team are the same one :)

I thought as things stood if he stayed in the academy until draft age he had no choice but to accept the Suns' nomination, if there is one?

Groo2

All Australian
Nov 11, 2006
Australia City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Isn't there a similar situation with John Blakey's Son? I remember seeing a thread about this where North supporters were seeing it as stealing one of their potential father/sons?

I thought as things stood if he stayed in the academy until draft age he had no choice but to accept the Suns' nomination, if there is one?

Yer I haven't looked into it personally, but Dlanod did mention something similar about Kennedy on the Draft Board and having no choice but accepting the nomination.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
So could the kid switch academies say when he's 16 years old if he moved to Brisbane.

Common sense (granted I don't always think logically so my idea of common sense may not always be common or sensible) tells me an academy will have priority over father son.

Academy kids don't get a choice in whether their clubs nominate and take them unlike father/sons. There was a write up earlier in the year that that might change, but as it stands if the kid has signed an academy contract and their club wants them, their club gets them.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Academy kids don't get a choice in whether their clubs nominate and take them unlike father/sons. There was a write up earlier in the year that that might change, but as it stands if the kid has signed an academy contract and their club wants them, their club gets them.
So presuming the rules don't change and the Suns want him - Ashcroft Jr is a Sun regardless of what the Lions do?

Groo2

All Australian
Nov 11, 2006
Australia City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would need a Collingwood father/son caught up in this for things to change

Would need a Collingwood father/son caught up in this for things to change

Oooh, imagine if we took a Collingwood Father/Son prospect into the academy...Wow...The tears.
253020-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

That contract. .. what age do they sign it as compared to the age they can start at the Academy?

So presuming the rules don't change and the Suns want him - Ashcroft Jr is a Sun regardless of what the Lions do?

Pretty sure that's the case.

That contract. .. what age do they sign it as compared to the age they can start at the Academy?

I don't know that kind of detail.

Pretty sure that's the case.

I don't know that kind of detail.
My understanding is that you are correct dlanod however i remember reading somewhere it is only the last year of being in the academy that binds you to the club. You can choose not to be a member of the academy for that last year and be open to the draft or father son

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Well the academy club has to match the bid when it comes in for the player. Plan should be to bleed the Gold Coast of second and third round picks so they don't have the points to match a bid for the kid if he's any good.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-11/2015-nab-afl-under16-champs-round-three

Noticed Lachie Harris was nominated for BOG in the last Div 1 Metro game

I didn't know that Quigley had a son. At least we know he won't be big headed and will be well aware of his deficiencies. Probably an inside mid ;)

Division one

Vic Country 2.1 5.2 9.4 10.7 (67)
South Australia 1.1 3.3 4.7 8.9 (57)

GOALS
Vic Country:
Darling 3, Hollenkamp 2, Quigley 2, Domic, Henness, Dow
South Australia: Fogarty 3, Crowden, T.Cox, Moller, Pascoe, Houlahan

Back