Favorite Baseball Movie?

Remove this Banner Ad

isn't there one where a kid breaks his arm and then becomes a major league pitcher?

also I vaguely remember a movie with matt leblanc and a urangatan that pitches?

Edit: reasonable list of baseball movies found at http://www.bostonbaseball.com/whitesox/baseball_extras/movies.html

squeeze play sounds promising
Lowbrow, sleazy baseball farce from Troma Films. Filled with gratuitous sex and skin, this smut-fest won't disappoint. Troma fans will be thrilled by shameless humor. (1980)

A League of their Own........

"...........there's no crying in Baseball........" :p

Far Fetched? Not that great but I watched it twice while flying with Aerolineas Argentinas. Once to South America, the other time was coming back. Was so pissed off, they played 2 of the same movies on the way there and back. Other one was Taxi :eek:

heres 1 i dont think that was mentioned Soul of the Game watched it on channel 9 one night a few years back at like 1am great movie based on the negro league players like Satchel Paige Josh Gibson and Jackie Robinson.

As Far as i know it was a straight to tv movie and havent seen it availible on dvd or vhs at any loal video shops

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many times spring to mind.....but where to start

Bull Durham
The Natural
Major League
42* (Jackie Robinson)
Eight Men Out
Field of Dreams
Bad News Bears

It never actually claimed to be a doco.
Understand that, however it's not fiction either.
The character played by Jonah Hill was completely made up and made to look like he was the complete reason behind sabremetrics.
The scout that Beane fired actually left for a more senior position at the Rangers and eventually went back to the A's.
The A's lost Jason Giambi, then were shown going after his brother Jeremy because of his at bat %. Jeremy was already at the A's and had been for a couple of years.
The movie focusses predominantly on the science of getting on base and hits at bat, but the A's pitching rotation was the best in the AL and Barry Zito won the Cy Young that year.
The manager Art Howe was made to look like a miserable prick when in actual fact he was the complete opposite.

Bull Durham and Make League are my favorites.

A kid type one that was not mentioned is Little Big League. Ken Griffey Jr as the bad guy ruined my childhood. A kid becomes owner and manager of the Minnesota Twins. Cute movie I still watch from time to time.

Another not mentioned with some historical feel (not completely factual) is Soul of the Game. It's about Jackie Robinson, Satchel Paige, and Josh Gibson. I believe you can watch it on YouTube.

Understand that, however it's not fiction either.
The character played by Jonah Hill was completely made up and made to look like he was the complete reason behind sabremetrics.
The scout that Beane fired actually left for a more senior position at the Rangers and eventually went back to the A's.
The A's lost Jason Giambi, then were shown going after his brother Jeremy because of his at bat %. Jeremy was already at the A's and had been for a couple of years.
The movie focusses predominantly on the science of getting on base and hits at bat, but the A's pitching rotation was the best in the AL and Barry Zito won the Cy Young that year.
The manager Art Howe was made to look like a miserable prick when in actual fact he was the complete opposite.
I havent seen the movie yet, it is sitting on my shelf waiting for that, but I have read the book and that at least seemed accurate. And apparently it made it clear that the moneyball philosophy was about trying to find undervalued traits to build the team as opposed to trying to build a winning team with discarded scraps.

For those interested in Sabermetrics http://sabr.org/sabermetrics

Did you see where the guy that Jonah Hill supposedly portrayed in Moneyball is now in the NFL? http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/1/5/10717024/cleveland-browns-Paul-DePodesta-mets-moneyball

becoming the special assistant to the general manager, and was then hired by Billy Beane and the Oakland Athletics in 1999 (he was featured in the Michael Lewis book Moneyball and was portrayed by Jonah Hill in the movie).

For my money Bull Durham beats The Natural as my favourite baseball film. Maybe I relate to the moderness of Crash Davis and his group than the 30s style of Robert Redford.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back