Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not really the same. It effectively does what decanting a wine does. It airates the beer. Also, when you pour you get head, which in turn allows more of the hop aroma to be caught and therefore smelt. And smell is a massive part of taste, as well as identifying a good beer.
Proper pouring and drawing out of the head also enhances the beers flavour.

Yeah, they all do.

Heineken in Amsterdam was delightful.
Heineken here feels like carbonated water with flavouring.

I know that's not fair but it just feels that way.

I was in France last October and drank Heineken a bit. Had it at Maccas instead of the soft drink! To my bogan taste buds it tasted just the same as the locally brewed stuff. Is there any reason they should taste different if they're using the same malt, hops and barley?

Exploded in the past year. Why wouldn't it? even stores like Dans/First choice want you to buy a 6 pack of Sierra nevada over a carton of crownies, A lot of the craft beer makes about as much profit from a 6 pack then stores sell VB cartons

the last thing they want you to buy is a full carton of anything

singles or 6 packs of any brand beer are where the profits are.

Also, when you pour you get head

Exploded in the past year. Why wouldn't it? even stores like Dans/First choice want you to buy a 6 pack of Sierra nevada over a carton of crownies, A lot of the craft beer makes about as much profit from a 6 pack then stores sell VB cartons
I would have thought that the CUB beers etc would have to lower the cost of product to survive the reasonably priced craft beers at Dans etc but I still see a lot of people buying Carlton Draught etc. I think it is more habit with some.

I would have thought that the CUB beers etc would have to lower the cost of product to survive the reasonably priced craft beers at Dans etc but I still see a lot of people buying Carlton Draught etc. I think it is more habit with some.
Yeah most of your 32 Year old+ heavy drinkers will still buy two cartons a week, However they are in for some crap in the next few years when the younger markets lean towards craft beers and more micro brews, The CUB/Lion Nathans will have to innovate to keep up.

Had a pint of Carlton Black yesterday.

Wouldn't say it's my favourite beer, but it is surprisingly nice nonetheless. Particularly as most other Carlton branded beers are, to my taste, bog ordinary.

Yeah most of your 32 Year old+ heavy drinkers will still buy two cartons a week, However they are in for some crap in the next few years when the younger markets lean towards craft beers and more micro brews, The CUB/Lion Nathans will have to innovate to keep up.
I'd say that's spot on.

They're already starting to buy out some of the smaller craft breweries and bastardise their products. Matilda Bay for example are owned by Woolies.

Had a pint of Carlton Black yesterday.

Wouldn't say it's my favourite beer, but it is surprisingly nice nonetheless. Particularly as most other Carlton branded beers are, to my taste, bog ordinary.
CUB's dark beers are surprisingly good. Abbot's Invalid Stout is one I still drink occasionally, but their Sheaf Stout in NSW and Swan Stout in WA are even better. The Black is solid. I don't mind drinking it on tap if it's there.

Toohey's Old finds its way into my rotation every so often too.

I was in France last October and drank Heineken a bit. Had it at Maccas instead of the soft drink! To my bogan taste buds it tasted just the same as the locally brewed stuff. Is there any reason they should taste different if they're using the same malt, hops and barley?

Travel, freshness and whether you're getting the same product as some of these beers are now not imported but brewed locally.

Having said that, everything is better when you're OS anyway....You know what I mean.

They're already starting to buy out some of the smaller craft breweries and bastardise their products. Matilda Bay for example are owned by Woolies.

Coles is Matilda bay, Woolies only stocks the Fat Yak nowdays

Woolworths own 25% of gage roads (i think it's a top 3 in W.A.) and helped upgrade a lot of the facilities and moved them to Freo, where they also Brew under the iconic pub Sail and Anchor (Which is owned by Some group which is owned by Bruce Matherson+Woolworths)

I actually dont mind some of the Gage roads products, I mean woolies has a decent slice in them but quality hasn't dropped. The Wahoo Kolsh is one of the better beers i find

It can be incredibly misleading when people are wanting to try something boutique and turns out your buying something owned by the biggest retailer in the southern hemisphere.

Woolworths own 25% of gage roads (i think it's a top 3 in W.A.) and helped upgrade a lot of the facilities and moved them to Freo, where they also Brew under the iconic pub Sail and Anchor (Which is owned by Some group which is owned by Bruce Matherson+Woolworths)

I actually dont mind some of the Gage roads products, I mean woolies has a decent slice in them but quality hasn't dropped. The Wahoo Kolsh is one of the better beers i find

It can be incredibly misleading when people are wanting to try something boutique and turns out your buying something owned by the biggest retailer in the southern hemisphere.

Agree with Gage roads being decent. Cheap too.

Atomic Pale ale for $45 a slab is close to the best sub $50 slabs of beer going around.

Last paragraph spot on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree about a drop in quality. Some of the stuff turned out under the Sail & Anchor label is terrible in comparison to the days when S&A was a microbrewing pioneer in WA (showing my age here, this was before Little Creatures even existed). Dry Dock in particular was probably the blandest beer I've ever drunk.

Gage Roads still do some good stuff although I swear they changed the Wahoo recipe at some point or I just got a bad batch last time. I enjoy Atomic and Sleeping Giant quite regularly.

CUB's dark beers are surprisingly good. Abbot's Invalid Stout is one I still drink occasionally, but their Sheaf Stout in NSW and Swan Stout in WA are even better. The Black is solid. I don't mind drinking it on tap if it's there.

Toohey's Old finds its way into my rotation every so often too.

I agree - the only way I find domestic mass produced beer drinkable is to do a black and tan with one of these

Mexicans call corona "gringo beer"
And have a running gag that it is so bad you have to put a lime in it. The Mexicanos all drink Telcate - they do a beer equivalent of lick sip suck with it
I haven't had Tecate so I can't judge it, but from opinions I've heard it's more a flavourless nothing drink.

Isn' t Fat Yak a faux craft beer owned by CUB? If they are impersonating craft beers it shows that market penetration is major!

Fat Yak is the most ordinary of brews that sits under a craft beer banner in this country.

I can't see the appeal whichever way I look.

Fat Yak is the most ordinary of brews that sits under a craft beer banner in this country.

I can't see the appeal whichever way I look.
I mean this genuinely, could you tell me what you think it's faults are? It is often in the house so I drink it and don't mind it, but there is something I can't put my finger on that stops me really truly enjoying it.

I disagree about a drop in quality. Some of the stuff turned out under the Sail & Anchor label is terrible in comparison to the days when S&A was a microbrewing pioneer in WA (showing my age here, this was before Little Creatures even existed). Dry Dock in particular was probably the blandest beer I've ever drunk.

Gage Roads still do some good stuff although I swear they changed the Wahoo recipe at some point or I just got a bad batch last time. I enjoy Atomic and Sleeping Giant quite regularly.
Eh, Stuff branded gage is fine, And yeah the Kolsh has changed recently i think, Sleeping giant IPA is still decent, Atomic pale ale is something very under-rated by a lot of people and is one of the best of the affordable pale ales around. Other stuff like the Bolt/Dry Dock/castaway....ild rather a glass of water

I mean this genuinely, could you tell me what you think it's faults are? It is often in the house so I drink it and don't mind it, but there is something I can't put my finger on that stops me really truly enjoying it.

At a guess I'd say you haven't been exposed to some of the great craft beers this country has to offer.

It's a pretty average beer imo, But if what you're used to is Carlton, VB and the like it's going to taste pretty amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back