Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

Friday night footy.

Six pack of these
images

Six pack of these
Minimum-Chips-six.jpg

Go tha Hawks !!!!!
They had Fat Yak on tap at a bar I went to the other week, destroyed it.

Agree it destroys any bar.
Never got the love for Fat Yak and I find it's now gotten to a weird transitional point. It's probably at more pubs than it isn't and I'd say the name is bigger than James Squire but it still manages to pass as something 'a bit different,' when it should just be in the same category as your Coopers – which, by the way, has been my go-to for a good two years now. I mean, is there a nicer beer at that regular price in the world? Love em, even better in a glass jug down the local on the footpath.

There's two different Newcastle beers there - a dark lager and a blonde ale.
Last night I was jonesin for just a sixy of Newcy Brown. Do you know where you can get it in Melbs? Anyone? The last time I found it was in my hometown Dan's at about $19, which isn't bad for the genuinely imported stuff. But no matter where I go here I just can't find it – BWS et al go as adventurous as Fosters and Abbotsford king browns and the specialty stores seem to prefer an extra Trappist Belgian (which I'm not complaining about). I do enjoy it, it's not the smartest sessional beer and it always gives me hangovers, but it's something you can actually enjoy and savour and see as a bit special. Does anywhere in the CBD/Fitzroy, Collingwood, Carlton area stock them? Does anywhere stock the IPAs or Summer Ales they brought out?

Speaking of summer, what's everyone's preference? Lager or a pale ale? Any suggestions at different price ranges? Looking for something sessional preferably, not too heavy

Never got the love for Fat Yak and I find it's now gotten to a weird transitional point. It's probably at more pubs than it isn't and I'd say the name is bigger than James Squire but it still manages to pass as something 'a bit different,' when it should just be in the same category as your Coopers – which, by the way, has been my go-to for a good two years now. I mean, is there a nicer beer at that regular price in the world? Love em, even better in a glass jug down the local on the footpath.

Last night I was jonesin for just a sixy of Newcy Brown. Do you know where you can get it in Melbs? Anyone? The last time I found it was in my hometown Dan's at about $19, which isn't bad for the genuinely imported stuff. But no matter where I go here I just can't find it – BWS et al go as adventurous as Fosters and Abbotsford king browns and the specialty stores seem to prefer an extra Trappist Belgian (which I'm not complaining about). I do enjoy it, it's not the smartest sessional beer and it always gives me hangovers, but it's something you can actually enjoy and savour and see as a bit special. Does anywhere in the CBD/Fitzroy, Collingwood, Carlton area stock them? Does anywhere stock the IPAs or Summer Ales they brought out?

Speaking of summer, what's everyone's preference? Lager or a pale ale? Any suggestions at different price ranges? Looking for something sessional preferably, not too heavy
It's at all the Dan's I've been to in the chilled imported section. 20 dollars I think.

After reading this thread, I realised I'm a massive tightarse for not paying over $5 for a pot.

Because of the LCHF diet I am on I only drink Big Heads these days. Not the greatest tasting beer but not too bad and means I can still enjoy alcohol occasionally.

Very happy with the mixed pack I got for Father's Day:
Eviltwin Hipster Ale (US)
Lobethal Bierhaus IPA (Aus)
Prancing Pony Copper Ale (Aus)
Liberty Yakima Monster (NZ)
Rodenbach Grand Cru (Belgium)
Sixpoint Hi-Res (US)
Kooinda Milk Porter (Aus)
Moon Dog Abbey Collaby 2014 Barleywine (Aus)

Sixpoint Hi-Res (US)
Can i steal your kids for next year?

Newcastle Brown is readily available. My local has it in pint bottles.

The pub I drink at has it on tap.

Terrible beer in my view. Best to get another brown ale.
Interesting, good pub? Dingy and grimy good?

Just grabbed a six pack this afternoon and a six pack of the Boddingtons Pub Ale. Never had the latter before, really liked it. Really, really smooth which I don't mind despite being a bit more of a hops fan, but I liked the creaminess and soft flavours to it. Nice aftertaste, beautiful smell, and a genuinely fun pour. Nice beer. Dan's doing the 440 mil cans for $16 which is alright, on that Coopers price level.

The Newcy Brown is a little disappointing in contrast. Not what I remember, almost no smell but still a good beer. Maybe not worth the $20, but it's not a rip-off at the same time. For a rare, monthly treat, why not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Middle of town - Charles Dickens. Bypass the nitro can stuff. Whilst it is priced well, you can get much better English Ale at Dans (albeit more costly).

Landlord
Old Speckled Hen (on tap in a few pubs in town)
Director's

You'll have to go to First Choice to get my favourite, Fuller's London Pride (on tap in a few pubs in town)

As I said, they cost a bit more than the nitro cans, but absolutely kill them.

Bitterest beer? After all these syrupy and smooth, but admittedly very nice, beers I'm keen to get back on something a bit tangier and harsher. I don't care how expensive or cheap. I'm talking Emu Bitter level bitter.

Sixpoint Hi-Res (US)
What did yiu think of te milk porter? I had one and thought it was great really good to drink.

I think most of the James Squire range is overrated.

Have always though that and the Fifty Lashes is as nothing a beer as I've had.........ordinary on ever level.......on par with VB

Haven't had anything recently that's blown my mind but I am have only 4 bottles left from 2 cases of Founders Breakfast Ale.
Have loved it but won't be picking up a third case any time soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back