Food & Drink Favourite Beers

Remove this Banner Ad

Just reading an article in The Age that mentioned a decision to restore the original alcohol content to Victoria Bitter.

It started me thinking about how things have changed over the years.

In my younger days, my absolute favourite was Carlton Draught - as long as it was poured from a tap. For bottled beer, I preferred Abbotts Lager (RIP). Wasn't overly fussed with canned beer, but did appreciate Vic Bitter.

Now you can probably deduce I grew up in Victoria.

I recall the first time I walked into a pub in Sydney and asked for a beer. In Melbourne, you said "I'll have a beer." You got a 7oz glass of Carlton Draught from the tap. Not so in Sydney. This was twenty questions. Schooner or Midi? Old or new? Toohey's or Tooth's?

You could get all the other cat's piss that was produced around the country - West End, Swan, Cascade, XXXX. Over the years we saw the arrival of the boutique beers - Boag's et al. Not a great fan of Boag's but I do think it has improved from the initial brews. Then we some some bloody disgusting brews I came across Sydney airport but the name escapes me - did have some catchy phrase in the name.

So here I am decades later and faced with all sorts of decisions in a visit to the bottle shop.

I have tried dozens of beers from all over the world and apart from my still-favoured CD in the tap, the best was in a bar located inside Asia Brewery in Singapore - freshly brewed Tiger - which was a bit strange since Tiger was only a beer to drink when the only alternative was Heineken or Carlsberg.

So, from all your experiences, what's your favourite?

Even though I'm of legal drinking age, I haven't had any alcohol yet, so I'll have to go with Bundaberg ginger Beer.

Coopers Sparkling is my favourite beer by a mile.

Used to love Cascade Pale until they changed the hop mix about 15 years ago.

Not a fan of VB, Draught or any of the CUB swill.

Also find all of their brewed under licence beers - Stella etc - to be far inferior to the real thing.

I like a good pilsener too - Trumer, Budvar if you can get it fresh.

Most memorable beer, or the the one that truly hit the spot, was a XXXX at the Karumba pub at the Gulf of Carpenteria. We'd been driving all day on dusty, hot roads and it really hit the spot.

But I'm going off memory here - I stopped drinking when my son was born.

Most memorable beer, or the the one that truly hit the spot, was a XXXX at the Karumba pub at the Gulf of Carpenteria. We'd been driving all day on dusty, hot roads and it really hit the spot.

My most memorable beer was a warmish can of Emu Bitter, that my friend dragged out of the back of his panal van one day. I remember it well, as it was the only time a beer has made me puke.

Anyway, I am a beer geek, and have travelled to try different beers of various styles. So this thread caught my interest. Living in Europe I have learned about which beers to drink when and all that kind of stuff, so now I have a few favs. As far as 'standard' aussie beers go, Cooper's Sparkling Ale is my favourite. But there are so many great beers out there these days. One of my absolute favs that I've seen for sale in Aus when I have been back for visits is an abbey beer called Rochefort 10. It is not a summer guzzler, and at around 11% it's best sipped on a cool evening as a part of a premiership celebration.

I do like an ice cold Carlton Draught on tap. It helps if the pub sells a lot of it because it means the keg hasn't been hanging around for ages... The Foresters Arms has a chalk board behind the bar with the date the keg was tapped. I'm also a bit of a fan of the Japanese beers.

I haven't had a Coopers Sparkling in ages. Might have to grab one tonight to refresh my taste buds.

The only beer my wife will drink is Pure Blond with lime cordial. Not for the low carb thing, but purely for the taste. As a consequence, I drink a bit of it too (without the lime). It's passable on a hot evening, and the low carb is an added bonus to the old wasteline.

I do like an ice cold Carlton Draught on tap. It helps if the pub sells a lot of it because it means the keg hasn't been hanging around for ages... The Foresters Arms has a chalk board behind the bar with the date the keg was tapped. I'm also a bit of a fan of the Japanese beers.

I haven't had a Coopers Sparkling in ages. Might have to grab one tonight to refresh my taste buds.

The only beer my wife will drink is Pure Blond with lime cordial. Not for the low carb thing, but purely for the taste. As a consequence, I drink a bit of it too (without the lime). It's passable on a hot evening, and the low carb is an added bonus to the old wasteline.
The ridiculous taxes on alcohol content make it hard in our wondersful country.

As for me, as a few of you will know I enjoy a tap beer.

My favourites are hoppy beers, either a american pale ale or indian pale ale, more hops the better, two best beers for me are Long Trail in Vermont USA as well as Full Sail in Oregon USA, the key to the beer is the water they use, love it.

Euro beers, well Chimay and Duvel are great, others need to differentiate.

Here, there are so many little breweries, just the high prices sometimes make them unaffordable.

The ridiculous taxes on alcohol content make it hard in our wondersful country.

As for me, as a few of you will know I enjoy a tap beer.

My favourites are hoppy beers, either a american pale ale or indian pale ale, more hops the better, two best beers for me are Long Trail in Vermont USA as well as Full Sail in Oregon USA, the key to the beer is the water they use, love it.

Euro beers, well Chimay and Duvel are great, others need to differentiate.

Here, there are so many little breweries, just the high prices sometimes make them unaffordable.

I'm with you on the hoppy beers GH. Welcome back BTW... Haven't seen you around these parts for a while..

Re-acquainting myself with a couple of Coopers Sparkling Ales tonight. They're nice, but not my favourite style of beer.

I'm with you on the hoppy beers GH. Welcome back BTW... Haven't seen you around these parts for a while..

Re-acquainting myself with a couple of Coopers Sparkling Ales tonight. They're nice, but not my favourite style of beer.

Langers mate, nothing better than a Americana beer for me, I love a cold beer on tap here in oz, but s**t when you can get a pint for $4 tops in the states, with up to 9% alcohol content for a IPA you are just spoilt.

My home brews are getting better and better, more and more hops, tasting good.

Coopers sparkling......might as well piss in a cup and drink it:D :D:p

My most memorable beer was a warmish can of Emu Bitter, that my friend dragged out of the back of his panal van one day. I remember it well, as it was the only time a beer has made me puke.

Almost good for another thread - Beers that made me puke.

Has happened once to me. An asian brew call Red Horse. Comes in 700ml bottles. Got through the first and started on the second. Had to excuse myself. Found out later it was actually a nasty mix of beer and gin. Didn't like the taste much either.

i seem to cycle through Becks, Coronas and budweisers atm, in between trying a few of the craft breweries around aus. CD used to be my staple diet but cant stand the stuff anymore (depends on availability though, any beer is better than no beer!).

yes I love beer.

I brew my own, currently drinking a Fat Yak clone.

But if I'm buying a case it will probably be one of these:
Coopers Pale Ale
Gage Roads Atomic Pale Ale
Gage Roads Premium
Fat Yak
James Squire

Oettinger
any beer from Belgium...

If I'm in a pub that only has Tooheys I'll drink Tooheys Old, cant stand any of their others.

Used to drink Emu Export when I lived in Perth.

Hey everyone knows theres a brewery in Hawthorn right? http://hawthornbrewing.com.au/?page_id=44 I haven't tried it yet but will be getting some this week...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you need to try a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale then, wonderful stuff.

The range available has really got out of control in the last 5 or so years. I think we are up to 15 craft beer bars in Brisbane now? Mountain Goat steam ale is a great sessional brew as is little creatures, vale ale pale, and moo brew pale. I tried a beer at a bar last week that was brewed in rum barrels and at a whopping 14.1 was exceptional. The alcohol burns in a lot of the Belgium Trappist beers but you couldn't taste it in this one. That said you could feel it! I'm still trying to remember the name.

In my misguided youth, growing up in Sydney, I would always drink Tooheys Old when at a pub. I was never a big fan of draught beers & Reschs tasted like it had been brewing in a leaf lined gutter.

Then I came to Adelaide & my opinion of draught beer really went downhill after trying West End. Talk about yuk.....

I was saved by one of the sponsors of a show I was in, who put me onto Coopers Pale Ale. And there I stay.

Though I don't mind an ice cold Mythos, and some of the boutique/micro breweries have some very tasty, though potent, drops.

Then I came to Adelaide & my opinion of draught beer really went downhill after trying West End. Talk about yuk.....

Your not wrong mate.

Its always one of the things that hits me each year I when I come across to Adelaide for the footy is the West End tripe they dish up at the swamp.

And yuk is putting it very politely.

Anything other than Guinness!

Am more a spirits man myself but if there's a long day of eating and drinking ahead watching the cricket for example, there's nothing better than throwing down a few cold slabs with ya mates. (light beer for this lightweight here though or i'll miss the match ;))

yes I love beer.

I brew my own, currently drinking a Fat Yak clone.

But if I'm buying a case it will probably be one of these:
Coopers Pale Ale
Gage Roads Atomic Pale Ale
Gage Roads Premium
Fat Yak
James Squire

Oettinger
any beer from Belgium...

If I'm in a pub that only has Tooheys I'll drink Tooheys Old, cant stand any of their others.

Used to drink Emu Export when I lived in Perth.

Hey everyone knows theres a brewery in Hawthorn right? http://hawthornbrewing.com.au/?page_id=44 I haven't tried it yet but will be getting some this week...

Yes I love beer as well,
I brew my own and have a Fat Yak clone bubbling away. If I was to buy a carton it would also be from your list.

I have been lucky enough to spent some time in Belgium and it is a beer lovers paradise.

I like your footy club aswell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back