Toast Favourite commentator calls

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the 3AW commentary post siren, brilliant work by Grybas, unfortunately the last match he ever called.

Sensational, ey?

"A batallion of photographers, (Siren), there it is. Fourty-four years in the making. The greatest winning margin of all time. Geelong have won their seventh premiership, and it's the SWEETEST one of all. All the years of heartbreak and despair, swept away, in one glorious afternoon, that ends with the most gala of celebrations".

It goes on, but it's 12.51am and I'm tired :p

"Mooney, like a bull out of a paddock, to Kelly, cleverly off the in-step, that was glorious, and Chapman can run in, and finish the job.

A couple of minutes before the Grand Final half-time siren, Chappy kicks a goal, Power supporters are going crook over Ablett not being penalised and Geelong fans loving it as they're just about home.

"This is a different sort of courage Garry, go back from 40 straight out and kick it. Let's have a look at big Moons. I like it......I LOVE IT. This is what footy's all about".

Brayshaw when Mooney puts the Cats back in front in the '07 PF.

"This is a different sort of courage Garry, go back from 40 straight out and kick it. Let's have a look at big Moons. I like it......I LOVE IT. This is what footy's all about".

Brayshaw when Mooney puts the Cats back in front in the '07 PF.
I'm about to upload that.

What? You can be pinged for holding even if a team-mate gets you? Why can't we tackle our own say... 20m in front of our goals each week then?

Well theoretically you can. If two Geelong players hold onto the ball and an opposition player holds one of the Geelong players without touching the ball, yep you can.

Byrnes tackled Stokes and he just thought it was a Collingwood player, therefore had no prior opportunity. However it was Byrnes. Once he let go a Pies player came in to tackle, therefore he had prior opportunity, it was just blocked by his own team-mate.

The free goes to thr opposition, therefore it isn't good for us.

Well theoretically you can. If two Geelong players hold onto the ball and an opposition player holds one of the Geelong players without touching the ball, yep you can.

Byrnes tackled Stokes and he just thought it was a Collingwood player, therefore had no prior opportunity. However it was Byrnes. Once he let go a Pies player came in to tackle, therefore he had prior opportunity, it was just blocked by his own team-mate.

The free goes to thr opposition, therefore it isn't good for us.

Fair enough - bloody good explanation, by the way:thumbsu:

I remember watching the prelim last year with you lot and the Pies, when Ablett kicked that snap goal I think Commetti went something like this:
'Cometh the hour, cometh the man! The son of the man!'

Was great commentary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dennis C. "Out wide Ablett (Snr.), takes the mark. He's too far out to score. Although having said that, it's only about 75 meters. He's kicked 399 career goals...this could be number 400! What a massive kick!"
Unfortunately just didn't make it - very close though!

Just watched that video of the last 90 odd seconds of the Prelim, I bloody struggle to get through it, my guts are still tied up in knots.

Top stuff whoever 'hoever06' is.

"Yablett, Yablett to Mooney, down towards Rooke. Mooney. Rooke. Varcoe. Varcoe! Chapman! Goal! Geelong are in front! Geelong are in front! With some of the most magnificent, courageous, determined football in the history of the game!"

Rex Hunt, 2009 AFL Grand Final.

The final minutes of the 09 grand final were by far spine tingling !! abc's call of it, in particular Gerard Whately. I'm sure his call would have been the same at epic turning points or moments thru the 11 grand final too.
Watch the DVD coverage with KROCK calling:
"CHAPPY, CHAPPY, CHAPPY! Sing with me boys!"
The most biased call outside of Channel 9s cricket coverage.

Surprised nobody mentioned Sandy Roberts, "Billy, you are king of Geelong! The monkey's off the back now Billy!" when he kicked the goal after the siren to give Geelong a win over Footscray in the 1994 QF

I just watched the last 90 seconds of the 07 prelim too.
Had to keep telling myself "we actually win this" :)

One thing stands out in that vid of what we currently lack.
Decent speed WITH big bodies.

We were battering rams.

Cometti is a bloody good caller.
Needs to be split up from Bruce and Harley though. They are just too soft as a group.

Cometti should be banned from calling, genuinely the worst going around these days. In a thread on the main page they say Sandy Roberts is coming to Fox Footy, someone who has been sorely missed in the comedy calling crap we get these days.

The man who announced Miss Australia, "Cynthia Dick" as "Cynthia utensil"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back