Toast Favourite commentator calls

Remove this Banner Ad

Cometti is a bloody good caller.
Needs to be split up from Bruce and Harley though. They are just too soft as a group.
Let's face it, Tom Harley is an AFL try hard, and anyone working with Bruce has to constantly be on alert to cover his deficiencies

Cometti should be banned from calling, genuinely the worst going around these days. In a thread on the main page they say Sandy Roberts is coming to Fox Footy, someone who has been sorely missed in the comedy calling crap we get these days.

notsureifserious.jpg

I can understand people feeling like Cometti is looking for a punch line but he is still vastly better than most other callers in Australia - is actually capable of communicating events in a original, clear way rather than staggering between mangled cliches like most of his peers.

He may be one of the better callers on Channel 7, but that isn't an especially high benchmark. Gerard Whately or Anthony Hudson are far better than Cometti.
Go watch the vid of Guthrie splitting the port players open.

Cometti is understated yet conveys the mood and the moment without dropping his pants.

Someone like BT would have just screamed 'oh no'
And as much as I love huddo, he probably would have too.

Go watch the vid of Guthrie splitting the port players open.

Cometti is understated yet conveys the mood and the moment without dropping his pants.

Someone like BT would have just screamed 'oh no'
And as much as I love huddo, he probably would have too.
I'll grant that Cometti can call the big plays better than most other callers, but his constant need to crack a joke just puts me off. Same with Bruce actually, their best is good, but it's few and far between these days.

He doesn't try and turn the call into his own private comedy club, he knows the players names, and describes the play. Perfect caller in my mind.
Seriously how funny is it that this is a unique characteristic within the commentary ranks. It just goes to show how s**thouse most of them are and anyone that can perform their job adequately is lauded for how articulate they are. :D

I'll grant that Cometti can call the big plays better than most other callers, but his constant need to crack a joke just puts me off. Same with Bruce actually, their best is good, but it's few and far between these days.
A lot of that wasn't his fault.
The eagles players used to challenge him each week to get a certain saying in.
It was bloody funny early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of Cometti…….after the Hawkins after the siren goal v Hawthorn

"…They've did it again………."

The boy who called that on the ABC that day put the lot of them in the shade…called it with real emotion. :thumbsu:

I miss listening to some of these brilliant commentators...

Nothing beats being there, but sometimes you just need that perfect line "...Hawthorn hearts are breaking!" to make the moment that little bit more special...

Yep, it's a good call by Huddo. Love the way it rhymes.

Adrenalin pumping
Legs aching
Kick on its way
Hawthorn hearts are breaking!

Huddo did butcher the call of the Duncan, SJ, Varcoe goal in the 2011 GF though.
I bet he wishes he could do that again.

loved some of Sandy's calls on Ablett :thumbsu:

Get the feeling he was a pretty big fan of the man

I really enjoyed Sandy's call -'.......... What more can you say - the Master' against the Pies in the rain.

Having been at the match and having a clear view of that particular play - and then later watched the replay - it was just perfect calling - exactly what you felt yourself when you saw that play by Ablett in action.

Huddo and Whately for mine are the best callers hands down.

I also remember some of Sandy's Ablett calls-really good stuff too:thumbsu: Where is Sandy off to next year?

Huddo and Whately for mine are the best callers hands down.

I also remember some of Sandy's Ablett calls-really good stuff too:thumbsu: Where is Sandy off to next year?
Foxtel to call the footy.
Remember he tried to do it last year but 7 held him to his contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back