Toast Favourite commentator calls

Remove this Banner Ad

I have my moments of sparkling intelligence but i won't necessarily being troubling Mensa any time soon.

I like to be entertained listening to the footy. Rex always made me laugh. Sure he could be annoying to some and he certainly was not everyone's cup of tea, but I do miss his hijinx. the 30 second YABLEEEEEEEEET springs to mind...

Go Catters

Timmy McGraths call in the 2009 GF when Chapman kicked the goal would be up there with the best. McGraths falsetto shreek and then asking the commentators to do it again captured the moment and that game.

What are you getting at?

Bobby making the comment that Sandy may have admired Gazza.
Sandy produced the documentary /DVD on Ablett's 93 season and did the commentary/interviews and openly guffawed so often.
Sure Bobby has that in his Ablett collection, so I was just asking if he was serious.
Nothing sinister.

Yep, it's a good call by Huddo. Love the way it rhymes.

Adrenalin pumping
Legs aching
Kick on its way
Hawthorn hearts are breaking!
Adam White's call on ABC of that moment was pretty nifty. "THE CURSE REMAINS! THE CATS REIGN SUPREME AT THE MCG AGAIN! AND THEY ARE ALIVE THIS YEAR GEELONG..."
EDIT: as already noted by SJ...

Sandy Roberts was prone to waffling on about things that had little to do with the game. He also seemingly had it in for David Mensch for some unknown reason. Menschy!

I watched the Melbourne game in 2008 on the Friday night when we spanked them the other day, and there was a couple of gems from Dennis in that game:

1. Steve Johnson had the ball about 70m out from goal, ignored a few leads and then kicked the ball into the pocket, but the ball went over the head of the intended target and rolled out of bounds. "Johnson was going through his options alphabetically, and was down to Wojcinski."

2. As we often did back then, we turned the ball over in the midfield and bombed the ball forward to Mackie who was all alone inside our attacking 50 and waltzed into an open goal. "My wife could kick this!"

There was also a classic from Rex back in the 90's when we were playing Fitzroy, and Peter Caven had made a mistake and Bairstow was letting him know all about it, and Rex goes "Bairstow's applauding Caven, and Caven's telling Bairstow to go forth and multiply!" Then there was the 1995 qualifying final when we were 15 goals up at three quarter time, and Rex spent the last quarter commentating while doing Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd impressions.

Slightly off topic, but I'll never forget another game against Melbourne back in 1998 when we were up 15 goals to zip just before half time, when someone put up a graphic across the bottom of the screen "Melbourne's last goal: 20 minute mark of the last term last week". :D

Cometti should be banned from calling, genuinely the worst going around these days. In a thread on the main page they say Sandy Roberts is coming to Fox Footy, someone who has been sorely missed in the comedy calling crap we get these days.
They're all pretty irritating after a while, and things must be desperate if Sandy Roberts looks like a good option.

I think all commentators should be forced to take a year off after every two years calling. To freshen up and get over themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing beats "what more can you say", but this comes close:

"This golden era of Geelong football gets its second premiership in one of the truly great Grand Finals. It's pandemonium for the Cats. It's heartbreak for the Saints. There's still a kick to come. The siren has sounded. The song is playing. Max Rooke delivers the goal!

Incredible scenes! You've never seen anything like it!"

- Gerard Whateley; 2009 GF (ABC radio)
And a special mention to Stan Alves in the 1989 GF as the Cats fought back: "It's so tense. I want to go to the toilet!")

"What more can you say" + 1

Another goodie is "that's a party trick not a mark" (still good to use during kick to kick)

They can be shocking to listen to (apart from the rub on Friday night and Saturday arvo where I just laugh flat out) but triple M calling Hawkins when he was on fire the 1st 10 mins of the last quarter 2011 GF is some of my favorite stuff..

JB: T-BONE HAWKINS! !!!
Gaz: GET AROUND HIM!!!
JB: GET ARROOUUNNDD HHIIIMMM!!!!!

5AA's commentary for the whole game is hilarious. I especially like the part where we're about 7 goals up halfway through the 2nd quarter before we kick 3 or 4 points in a row, and they start saying we're kicking ourselves out of the game. :D

5AA's commentary for the whole game is hilarious. I especially like the part where we're about 7 goals up halfway through the 2nd quarter before we kick 3 or 4 points in a row, and they start saying we're kicking ourselves out of the game. :D

I've never listened to that commentary (living in Adelaide for a number of years I'm sick of their bullshit bias) but I'm going to load it up and watch it siren to siren, ugh that's going to be tough, just to hear this line :p

This is Ian Major and Jack Dyer

3KZ Is Football- plus they use to have big names around the ground- like John Peck - Ted Whitten ( before he joined GL) Hugh Mitchell

The radio coverage back in those days was absolutely superb- i can remember Harry Bietzel when he was at AW - when there was 12 VFL clubs - all playing on the Saturday - he would pre record during the week an interview with all 12 coaches about their upcoming game - so from say 1 and 1.30pm you would hear from all 12 coaches- so if Carlton were playing Richmond( who were the powerhouses of the 60s and 70s) - you would hear an interview from say John Nicholls and Tom Hafey - it was must listening

Huddo and Gerrard - i know there Geelong tragics - but there plastic blooody lightweights - and wouldnt have got a look in back then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back