Favourite Gerrard moments

Remove this Banner Ad

You see it all the time. Footballers comfortable in their own environment where they can be the big fish in a little pool rather than test themselves at a bigger club regularly competing for honours. Le Tiss was one, just happy to stay at his provincial club where he was happy.

Nothing wrong with that and I don't think Stevie Me should be criticised for bottling his chance of a big move.

Liverpool fans again showing new levels of delusion if they think Gerrard didn't want a league title.

Nobody is suggesting that he didn't want to win a league title. Of course he wanted to win the league title. He wanted to win every single competition he has played in for LFC.

He won the Champions League in one of the greatest performances ever seen in the competition. It really doesn't get better than that in club football. He won 10+ trophies. Not winning the league title bothers him about as much as it bothers City players not winning the Champions League that have won PL titles themselves. Not winning the league title would be much more significant if he didn't have a Champions League title to his name.

Personally think most would rather win a league than a champions league. For me, it's the bigger test and the bigger achievement. And listening to hundreds of players over the years they all say the same.

FWIW I would hope that most of our players care very much about not having won the champions league yet with City. We do have a few world cup winners though so they're not too fussed. :)

Personally think most would rather win a league than a champions league. For me, it's the bigger test and the bigger achievement. And listening to hundreds of players over the years they all say the same.

FWIW I would hope that most of our players care very much about not having won the champions league yet with City. We do have a few world cup winners though so they're not too fussed. :)

How is winning a league a bigger test then the UCL?

Man U since it became the PL have 13 PL titles and 2 UCL. Man City have 2 PL titles recently yet bomb out of the UCL.

Since 2000 Bayern Munich have 7 Bundesliga titles and 2 UCL.

Do you actually think leagues are a bigger test and achievement than the UCL??? :$:$:$

Man U since it became the PL have 13 PL titles and 2 UCL. Man City have 2 PL titles recently yet bomb out of the UCL.

Do you actually think leagues are a bigger test and achievement than the UCL??? :$:$:$

Yeah, I do. Winning a league over 38 games is much more of an achievement than a cup competition where you might be protected from playing the best sides over the first six games, and get a lucky draw in the knockouts.

Most people in football would say the same thing, it used to be a bit of a mantra at many of the top clubs that the first priority was winning your own league.

Champions League has been PR'd to high heaven nowadays but I would still say that winning the league is the pre-eminent achievement. How can you really say you are the best in Europe when you're not even the best in your own country?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Combine the two and u have your answer. Cup comps can be fluked, leagues cannot. Fergie always made the league the priority with the UCL second.
This is pretty spot on.

You can knick a game here or there, be it on away goals or penalties. Nobody can do that over the course of a 38 game season.

Because clubs like Liverpool can fluke a UCL but can't consistently do it over 38 games ;)

This is the Terrace after all!

Because clubs like Liverpool can fluke a UCL but can't consistently do it over 38 games ;)

This is the Terrace after all!
Must have fluked those 18 League titles then?

Or are in the 'Premier League Only' world?

In that case the Hawkers / West Coast are the most successful AFL clubs of all time with 4
Premierships since the AFL'S inception!!
That's actually correct. The drug culture puts an asterisk against both clubs though.

And how many has Gerrard won? Because, you know, he is the point of this thread...
Gerrard wasn't in the discussion of whether it's harder to win CL or League though. You said we can't do it consistently over 38 games. 18 league titles determine that that's a lie.

Gerrard wasn't in the discussion of whether it's harder to win CL or League though. You said we can't do it consistently over 38 games. 18 league titles determine that that's a lie.
How many times have you done it since Gerrard started playing?

All of your titles were won on black and white tv when it was the European Cup, a straight knockout comp.

You can't put it together for 38 games in the Gerrard era.

Not really sure which part of this is hard to understand?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back