Favourite hidden moments of the Grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

So many great moments that you can point out.

As far as small things I think Breust's tap back that lead to Gunston's goal was great. He knew exactly what he was doing and placed the ball perfectly into Gunston's path.

Puopolo going in to the middle and getting first hands onto the ball and dishing it off to others to get the clearance. He did that a few times and it allowed us to get effective clearances out of the Centre. It would go unrewarded on the stat sheet beyond it being a handball.

Going back a way but...........

If anyone has a copy of the '08 GF, Campbell Brown spoils in the last qtr and ends up sprawled all over the ground, he then gets up with this look on his head and bumps one of the Cats players that just cops it like a bitch.

Still gets me stiff every time.

Anyone else remember/love this?

Croad's last act as a Hawk as he hobbles of the field towards the bench - bumping Selwood(?) on the way out.

So many great moments that you can point out.

As far as small things I think Breust's tap back that lead to Gunston's goal was great. He knew exactly what he was doing and placed the ball perfectly into Gunston's path.

Exactly the same as the one in the Essendon loss that would have won us the game but was incorrectly called a throw. Oh well, all's well that ends well ;-)

Breust was a beast. 2nd only to Mitchell in contested possessions. 9 disposals in the 1st quarter and instrumental in us getting the early lead. Involved in a number of goals, including that tap to Gunston that was pure genius.

That said, my favourite bit has probably been said a few times, but when Smith chipped that ball in from the boundary line it was a West Coast supporter who stuck out his hand for a high-5. Legend of a bloke who accepted his team being beaten by the better side.
That tap on was freaking awesome.

A thinking footballer the lad is.

Like Cyril.....its a wonder they can sleep at night.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It just looked such a lazy thing to do. I actually thought he was taking the piss and was annoyed he even went for the kick.

For about 1/2 a second!
Not so much lazy as nonchalant! He must've gotten pretty good purchase on the kick as I thought he was merely doing the team thing and putting it to the danger spot 15m out from goal. Of course, Hodgey will swear black and blue it went exactly where he intended it to go. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was sour grapes all week about his achievements being matched
Not a LM fan.

Played like a cowardly thug in a few matches for the B & G.

Love my club.....but not this one.

after Izzy's goal from the pocket late in the 3rd, when he's running off to bench watching his own replay on the big screen and then smiling..

Not so much lazy as nonchalant! He must've gotten pretty good purchase on the kick as I thought he was merely doing the team thing and putting it to the danger spot 15m out from goal. Of course, Hodgey will swear black and blue it went exactly where he intended it to go. :D
Actually, it's been the opposite. He's been telling everyone that he was just trying to centre it and the wind took it through. Funny thing is, no-one believes him and actually thinks it was intentional.

Just to buck the trend of men thinking they're gods, Hodgey is god who thinks he just a man!

Watch closely when, in the 1st qtr, the ball comes out to Mitchell. He has 2 eagles on his hammer straight away. Instead of dishing the ball off immediately he draws the 2 eagles to him then finds Burchill who now has a clear lane in front of him and kicks the goal. Nice.
That was awesome to watch.

Just held it a second or two longer for it to all open up for Birch.

You cant teach that to juniors or anyone for that matter.

Watch closely when, in the 1st qtr, the ball comes out to Mitchell. He has 2 eagles on his hammer straight away. Instead of dishing the ball off immediately he draws the 2 eagles to him then finds Burchill who now has a clear lane in front of him and kicks the goal. Nice.
Not only that, he also made sure the angle for the Eagle players to switch from chasing him to Birchall required them to stop, and change direction. If he gave it early, then Birch was in a straightline and easy target to switch to.

edit - Thought I'd add, that the above play is a common play in Rugby League to catch the defence on the wrong foot.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back