Favourite XI

Remove this Banner Ad

All time favourite: (only considered players I've been able to watch in my lifetime - not necessarily the 'best 11')

Formation: 3-2-3-2
Manager: Sir Bobby Robson

Kahn (GK)
Colocinni (CB) Puyol (CB) Woodgate (CB)
Xavi (CM) Zidane (CM)
Ben Arfa (RW) Ballack (CAM) Messi (LW)
Shearer (ST) Henry (ST)

Subs:
Given (GK)
Maldini
Lahm
Lampard
Cahill
Ribery
Drogba

Current favourite 11:
Formation: 4-2-2-2
Manager: Jose Mourinho

Krul (GK)
Lahm (RB) Colocinni (CB) Puyol (CB) Baines (LB)
Y.Toure (CM) Xavi (CM)
Ben Arfa (LW) Messi (RW)
Aguero (ST) Ibrahimovic (ST)

Subs:
Harper (GK)
Pique
Iniesta
Tiote
Cabaye
Mata
Cisse

All time 3 -4-1-2 * I have seen play - not currently playing *

Zoff
Baresi-scirea-Beckenbauer
Maradona-scorates-falcao-maldini
Zidane
Baggio-Batistuta

Subs
Khan
Nesta
Guilt
Matthaus
Albertini
Viera
Ronaldo
Hagi

Current 4 4 2
Buffon
Abate-ramos-t.silva-chielini
Pirlo-de rossi
C Ronaldo - messi
Ibrahimovic- balotelli

Subs
Casias
Cavani
Higuain
Ribery
Schwienstiger
Xavi
Iniesta
Lahm
Pique
Bonnuci
Bale
Nuer

Some serious mops in that current XI's backline NUFC Tiger!

I half thought of putting in Luiz but as the Newcastle fans chanted on Chelsea's visit to St James' earlier in the season (at Luiz) "you're just a s**t Colocinni!" :D

Some definite curlers though - in my all time XI, I also had Woodgate who's hair isn't exactly 'short' either! :)

Zoff
Baresi-schirea-Beckenbauer
Zidane
Baggio-Batistuta

Subs
Khan
Nesta
Guilt
Matthaus
Albertini
Viera
Ronaldo
Hagi
Maradona at RM and Maldini at LM? Errr ok.

Unconventional but could work... diego could play attacking from wide right or left and maldini could play anwhere in defense I do recall him as a lwb when dino zoff coached italy fwiw.

Zoff
Baresi-schirea-Beckenbauer
Zidane
Baggio-Batistuta

Subs
Khan
Nesta
Guilt
Matthaus
Albertini
Viera
Ronaldo
Hagi

Who is Schirea?

Also who is going to defend in that team? You have 3 sweepers and one defender on the bench and another defender on the left wing.

Edit - Make that 4 sweepers with Scirea

Scirea was a quality italian sweeper from mid 70s to mid 80s. Admittedly unconvential but I figure a row of 3 and 4 behind ball without possession with class attack on one side and defense on other would make up for perceived imbalance :)

Edit on spelling - johans pickup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If i had free range to start a side from scratch from a current crop of players: (4-2-3-1) [second in bracket]

GK - Neuer - Best keeper in the world by so far it's actually funny (will make a case for all-time) [Courtois]
RB - Lahm - Truly amazing player, can do it all, completely underrated still. Never gives the ball away, never gets beaten, provides absolute solidarity and gives so much in attack perfect player and EASILY top 5 in the world. [Piszczek]
CB - Hummels - Great ball-playing CB and I love the creativity he has with the ball at his feet. [Varane]
CB - Boateng - Great defensive CB and is a wall at the back (i am fairly certain i heard that he has now played 50 games in a row unbeaten for FC Bayern, incredible) [Benatia]
LB - Alaba - Best LB in the world (Marcelo close second) in my opinion. Played a lot in the centre of midfield this season along with Lahm and shows his versatility and talent (also plays CM for NT) [Marcelo]
CM - Mascherano - World class defensive midfielder as we could all see at the world cup... why is he played at CB at Barca.......... Busquets is average at best. [Matic]
CM - Gundogan - This was a toss-up between Kroos and Gundogan, but i feel Ilkay has a better all-round game and offers more at a higher consistency. [Kroos]
RM - Robben - In my opinion (many will disagree) the best player in the world at the moment. This guy is a scary prospect for any team he comes across and no LB at the moment is capable of containing him. [Alexis]
AM - Gotze - Truly gifted creative attacking midfielder, when played in the 'number 10' role creates so much for his side. He is really flourishing in his second season for Munich. [Messi]
LM - Reus - As this is my preference for a side ;) i pick Marco over Cristiano. I feel my side has the goals in them already and don't need consistent ronaldo scoring hattricks over poor sides and quite frankly i'd feel more comfortable with Reus playing in a big game (imagine how scary Germany would have been with him in their side...) [Cristiano]
CF - Lewandowski - the most well-rounded forward in the world in my opinion [Suarez a close second]

Like i said this is just my preference and looking over it at the moment it does have a distinctly German flavour to it... oh well i guess it comes as no surprise as they won the world cup.

Current favourite XI, more players I really enjoy watching:

-------------Neuer------------
Coleman-Varane-Kompany-Lahm
-------------Kroos------------
---------Isco-----Silva--------
---Sterling---Messi--Coutinho--

Lloris, T. Silva, Vidal, Iniesta, Gotze, Hazard, Suarez

First person to say that midfield would be walked over gets a slap in the face. Try getting the ball off them first!

And I think I might have done this one before, but here's a former players XI:

----------Schmeichel-----------
Cafu-Hansen-Beckenbauer-Carlos
------------Zidane-------------
------Laudrup---Beardsley------
-Best/Zola*--Henry---Barnes---

*Don't make me choose. Got to watch Zola while living over in the UK during the 90's and he was an absolute magician. Obviously wasn't old enough to see Best but if anyone hasn't watched highlight videos of him then you should.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back