Federer v Safin Australian Open Semi Final 2005 - 10 Years Ago!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
I know this is a random thread but I just felt the need to quickly reminisce and remember what I consider to be one of the greatest tennis matches I've ever witnessed in any competition let alone the Australian Open and the fact that it marks the 10th anniversary today since it occurred.

Roger Federer was at the time an unbeatable juggernaut and came up against an in-form Marat Safin who's talent and potential was massive but he had somewhat underachieved in Grand Slams and lost twice in the Australian Open Final in 2002 and 2004. To see someone actually take on Roger in his prime and actually beat him was something of a rarity in those days so this game was massive in so many ways.

I've found a great 47-minute highlights reel on YouTube that I think is worth watching and demonstrates how great this game was from the shots that both players demonstrated, to Safin's powerful backhand which caused Roger loads of problems and of course the dramatic 4th set moment when Roger was on match point and nearly had the match won then and there. Also some of the rallies seen in this game are unbelievable and should be cherised for those who watch the highlights reel.

What are people's memories of this match and where do you rate it alongside other great matches you've seen over the years?

By the way this match also happened to occur on Marat's 25th Birthday so that's a birthday present he won't ever forget in a hurry.

Last edited:

I remember the game well. I was 18 at the time and enjoying a night out with my mates at a club. They had the match on the big screen. I was also there with a mate the night before watching the epic encounter between Hewitt and Nalbandian in the QF.

Thursday nights back then was a very popular night for this club, so the atmosphere was huge for the Federer v Safin match, and not so much for the previous night's match despite an Australian being involved. There were literally around 40-50 people crowded around the big screen during the fifth set, and every single one was supporting and cheering loudly for Safin. I was supporting Safin immensely due to the fact I gave Hewitt a much better chance of beating Safin than Federer. I'm assuming everyone else had the same thoughts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back