Opinion Few and far between: the rare howlers made by the club

Remove this Banner Ad

he said Bizzell did things at training that were similar to Ablett. its a long long way from declaring him the next Ablett. a long way.
Who with and why are you arguing- you've already said even if he did say it, they are just words- we all agree.
We all hoped he would be our rescuer on the fwd line, and at times, he lived up to those words that nobody said..........

Last edited:
He certainly did say something along those lines, maybe not your exact quote, but there certainly was a comparison.

Just checked google and found this quote "But after kicking five goals against Collingwood in Round 14 2001 he was burdened by a comparison with Gary Ablett by teammate Garry Hocking, and was traded to Melbourne at the end of ‘01."

As you guys say, just words, but it probably did put an extra bit of pressure on Bizz.
A fair bit less than on GAJ, maybe.

Yeah, I'm sure you are right and the media twisted the quote to suit them (much the same as the Chappy losing to Hawthorn thing). From memory a comparison was made in that he could do some freaky things like Gazza Snr and they ran with it as they usually do. May or may not have affected Bizzell, but probably not that smart in hindsight IMO. We got Kelly out of his trade anyway, so it all worked out well in the end.
Yeah it wasn't smart by Hocking given he should of been able to guess how the media would twist it and boy did they twist it. to be fair to Hocking a couple of games Bizzells played (one against the all conquering Bombers and another against the pies) he did play like Ablett taking big contested marks, bombing big goals and tearing the defence to shreds in a couple of dominant quarters so you could certainly argue that what Hocking said wasn't over embellishing. But he could only do it a couple of times on the big stage unlike Gazza

garry hocking said no such thing. even if he did so what. its just words.
frabz-yes-sir-sorry-sir-back-to-work-it-is-21143b.jpg

....... :rolleyes:

A fair bit less than on GAJ, maybe.

Yeah I'm sure GAJ had plenty of pressure being who he is. Perhaps it effects some players differently? I agree, it really shouldn't make any difference as they are just words, but maybe it did, maybe it didn't. Anyway, past history, I was just putting in my 2c from what I remember of the situation.

Yeah it wasn't smart by Hocking given he should of been able to guess how the media would twist it and boy did they twist it. to be fair to Hocking a couple of games Bizzells played (one against the all conquering Bombers and another against the pies) he did play like Ablett taking big contested marks, bombing big goals and tearing the defence to shreds in a couple of dominant quarters so you could certainly argue that what Hocking said wasn't over embellishing. But he could only do it a couple of times on the big stage unlike Gazza
It was straight after that game, the interview I heard, and pretty buoyant he was, but you are correct, Buddha could have quelled his praise somewhat. Funny that so many of us remember this, wonder if it did impact on Bizzell.

It was straight after that game, the interview I heard, and pretty buoyant he was, but you are correct, Buddha could have quelled his praise somewhat. Funny that so many of us remember this, wonder if it did impact on Bizzell.
It may of he wasn't your usual football personality. I think the bigger problem was the he became our main key forward when he was too skinny to take it on full time. He would of been better as a half forward who spent the odd quarter as the full forward like Ablett in the 80's rather than being put at full forward like post 92 Ablett who was by that time bulky enough to take on the position.

I remember when Ayres had moved on and we were looking for a new coach.
I didn't care if the coach was unproven.
All I wanted was someone who communicated with the members. Someone who showed emotion. Someone who let us know he was upset with the loss or exhilarated by a win.

Ayres gave us nothing. We are starting to see a bit of the same from Scott.
And I'm not Scott bashing. But I am tiring a bit with the 'give nothing away' vibe.

Mate in all due respect that is the biggest load of garbage ive ever read

The bagging of Ayres is unbelievable - given Geelong were absolutely flogged in the 94GF - actually finished about 6th on the ladder - and the team looked on the decline - thats why Blight walked with 1 year left on his contract

But to say Ayres showed no emotion is absolute total rubbish -there was an opening game of the season ( in one of Ayres years as coach) Geelong played a mighty Nth Melb Team at the MCG under lights( might have been reigning premiers) at half time the Cats were about 6-7 goals down - and in an amazing comeback got up and won - i think both teams kicked over 20 goals each - you should have seen Ayres after the game - id love someone to put up the vision - ive never seen a coach so thrilled with a win - and pumped - it would make Chris Scott look like a choir boy

I thought the Cats had some great wins under AYres ( which alot of supporters conveinitly forget ) - what about that game against the Eagles in his 1st year - up to that point the Eagles owned Geelong - they toyed with Geelong - what was it 8 goals 9 in the 3rd qtr to nothing - Cats won by about 13 goals - and buried some Demons

1995 - no Barry Stoneham all year ( easily the best player on the list) Mensch at CHF and Handley at CHB - yet they made the GF - outstanding performance. 97 - with a touch of luck could have won the flag

But to say Ayres should no emotion is Utter Craap

Mate in all due respect that is the biggest load of garbage ive ever read

The bagging of Ayres is unbelievable - given Geelong were absolutely flogged in the 94GF - actually finished about 6th on the ladder - and the team looked on the decline - thats why Blight walked with 1 year left on his contract

But to say Ayres showed no emotion is absolute total rubbish -there was an opening game of the season ( in one of Ayres years as coach) Geelong played a mighty Nth Melb Team at the MCG under lights( might have been reigning premiers) at half time the Cats were about 6-7 goals down - and in an amazing comeback got up and won - i think both teams kicked over 20 goals each - you should have seen Ayres after the game - id love someone to put up the vision - ive never seen a coach so thrilled with a win - and pumped - it would make Chris Scott look like a choir boy

I thought the Cats had some great wins under AYres ( which alot of supporters conveinitly forget ) - what about that game against the Eagles in his 1st year - up to that point the Eagles owned Geelong - they toyed with Geelong - what was it 8 goals 9 in the 3rd qtr to nothing - Cats won by about 13 goals - and buried some Demons

1995 - no Barry Stoneham all year ( easily the best player on the list) Mensch at CHF and Handley at CHB - yet they made the GF - outstanding performance. 97 - with a touch of luck could have won the flag

But to say Ayres should no emotion is Utter Craap
It can't be crap. Because it's precisely how I felt at the time he left.
You got more out of him. Good. I can't remember him sharing any info with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see the club's reasoning. We had done well with players from outside the club in the past (Blight, Ayres, Thompson) so wanted to continue the trend.

Besides, if you look at Geelong's last four coaches, they all have something in common. They were all part of Legendary Grand Final sides, and dynasties- Blight (70's NM, 75, 77 premiership player), Ayres (80's Hawthorn, 1983,86, 88, 89 & 91 premiership player), Thompson (80's, 90's premiership player, Essendon 1984,85 and 93) and Scott (2000's Brisbane Lions premiership player, 2001, 2002 premiership player (missed '03 through injury)).

So, we seem to have the mentality when picking coaches that "success breeds success". Hinkley was too close to home, and never played in a flag. I think the next time a Geelong player coaches the Cats, it will be from our recent past (a '07, '09 and '11 premiership player).
Like your reasoning and much as I also like CS, sorta wish we had kept/elevated Kenny. He has done gr8 @ Port and the results are only just showing, they are the team e1 else needs to beware of.

But then again it's never just 1 person, must have the players and support staff to achieve.

I have heard that too, and obviously it is likely true, BUT
I was at his last game v Freo, iirc, which we just won, and the players reaction around him was very positive and supportive. I got the impression if he'd been offered a year longer on his contract, he'd still have stayed. His interview that avo was open, and I recall Doc Larkins asking him if he would honour his contract.
The culture at our club back then was in need of change, otherwise we would never have had our era; some of our more senior players were rabble.
Bomber was clearly the right man, but Ayers to his credit, did recognise we had to change the mindsets of many players.
His methods were antagonistic as it is reported, but I would love to ask a Chappy what he would have thought of Ayers as a coach. Never to be.

I didn't like Ayers at the end of his tenure with Geelong but I was about 17 and I had no real understanding of the internal workings.

All I know is that he has been a great coach for Port Melbourne (my VFL team) and I love him now. Whether he has changed or whether Geelong was wrong back then I have no idea but I don't lose any sleep over it.

I didn't like Ayers at the end of his tenure with Geelong but I was about 17 and I had no real understanding of the internal workings.

All I know is that he has been a great coach for Port Melbourne (my VFL team) and I love him now. Whether he has changed or whether Geelong was wrong back then I have no idea but I don't lose any sleep over it.
People change, Ayres changed, and Geelong was "wrong" back then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back