Opinion Few and far between: the rare howlers made by the club

Remove this Banner Ad

No disagreement that there weren't other reasons and I'm not exactly happy with the way Junior went about it either. The whole Bomber thing came after it was looking like Ablett was already thinking of leaving though and Bomber tried to call him out on that. It certainly wasn't what started it.

Also agree with you regarding getting paid outside of salary caps. Don't think Junior was the smartest cookie there. If he remained a one club player he would of been a legend in Geelong for life and receiving royalties and sponsorships and media gigs for decades after he retired. His dad didn't because of obvious reasons. Junior wouldn't be in the same boat. Once Junior finishes up at the Gold Coast he will be completely forgotton by the community.
Agree Seeds, yet, he'll still be remembered by Geelong!!!

Q: Who receives the most fan mail at Geelong Cats?
A: Gary Ablett Sr

:eek: Yes, still!!! :cool:

Very few centre half forwards balk and dodge opponents the way Stoneham could prior to his broken leg. Very underrated player these days. After Carey and Brereton he was the best centre half forward of the 80's to 90's period, even if his time was short lived.
Imagine if we had Stoneham now! :rainbow:

No doubt about it.

Losing the real Stoneham [note - while rucking] cost us one premiership IMO.
He was a terrific player, able to star in defence, kf, and ruck, clearly ahead of his time.
His game v Dogs in a final many years ago was almost as good as Ablett snr's 89 game. Would love to see that game again.

He was a terrific player, able to star in defence, kf, and ruck, clearly ahead of his time.
His game v Dogs in a final many years ago was almost as good as Ablett snr's 89 game. Would love to see that game again.

His game on Stewie Loewe and then a rampaging Plugger in the 2nd half was the reason we won the elimination final in 1991. He was simply outstanding that day.

His game on Stewie Loewe and then a rampaging Plugger in the 2nd half was the reason we won the elimination final in 1991. He was simply outstanding that day.
Missed that game sadly, the only home game for that year, but iirc was on a Sunday, and we had some function. Was that the game Billy Brownless went hth with Plugger?
The Dogs game, we were well down, but Stoneham played everywhere and virtually got us up single-handedly.

edit;
just saw the stats for that game; bizarre finals series- we played Dogs, kicked 5, 6, 7, 8 goals, they kicked 7, 7, 2, 1, and Brownless kicked 9!. Stoneham brilliant.
Then we played WCE, lost.
Then we played Dogs again, won easily. Billy another bag. He could play, specially v Dogs it seems.
Then the GF V WCE, lost again.

Last edited:
both were massively underpaid while at the club. we should of renegotiated Jnrs contact when he became best player in the comp. if we did he would probably still be here. Leaking to the media that Ablett wanted 10 grand to attend a function was a joke. he was massively underpaid during his playing years by over 100 grand a year and the amount of money the club made off him was ridiculous. yet he asks for 10 grand and the club trys to make him out to be the bad guys. it was very poor form from the club. Geelong probably wouldnt exist anymore if it was from the additional members Ablett brought to the club in the late eighties and nineties.
So the first years of Juniors contract where he was getting paid way overs don't count?

The biggest one for me is not playing Rooke on Hodge from the start in 2008.
For the Hawks to win Hodge had to play that third man up role he was playing so well that season and that we chose to play a unfit Stokes on him was mind boggling.
Going to the game I thought it was just going to be a given that Max would be the match up for Hodge. Thought that would be where we won the game and when I saw Stoker start on him is when I got a bad bad feeling about the day

For the Hawks to win Hodge had to play that third man up role he was playing so well that season and that we chose to play a unfit Stokes on him was mind boggling.
Going to the game I thought it was just going to be a given that Max would be the match up for Hodge. Thought that would be where we won the game and when I saw Stoker start on him is when I got a bad bad feeling about the day
Agreed.
And it was reported Hodge had cracked ribs. Surely Max would be the player to check on his status there. Not Stokes. I really wanted Wojo to play there, on the fwd line,that would have kept Hodge honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This cant be said enough times.

Yes! Yes! Yes! I'd forgotten that one CA! Good one!
Rooke was also fabulous in the 09 GF, kept Fischer quiet + sacrificed his own game for the win. I still giggle when I think of Rooke going back + kicking that last goal after the siren! Saints had fallen to the ground, Cats players were going wild + Rooke kicked the goal, so that everyone at his home town Pub would get a free beer! + that tackle! Geez I still miss Rooke! :cry:

Nope , it was shown after that game in the run..Ling should have been forward on him. Dangerious forward and shut him down as a rebounder.

Nope , it was shown after that game in the run..Ling should have been forward on him. Dangerious forward and shut him down as a rebounder.
Who would have been on Mitchell then?

But Ling played all of 2008 in the same role - tagging the opposition's best midfielder. That's exactly what he should have done in that Grand Final, and it's exactly what he did do. Did it well too.

And we could debate it til the cows come home. Ling was the ideal player to shut down Hodge's influence and that we didn't do it the GF contributed to our loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back