FFA Cup Final – Adelaide Utd v Perth Glory Dec 16

Remove this Banner Ad

00043362-image.jpg

Today's announcement has me excited. I hope my local team (West Adelaide Hellas) makes it. What I don't get is how does WA get 2 spot whereas SA only get 1. SA league is better than the WA league IMO. I hope to see South Melbourne v Melbourne Victory. That'll be a good match up. I'm also glad that they'll be televising some of these games. The only thing that I'm worried about is supporters following 2 teams. See I'm a supporter of both Adelaide United and West Adelaide Hellas. If the 2 teams happen to face off against each other, I wouldn't know who to support. Since I like both teams equally.

Today's announcement has me excited. I hope my local team (West Adelaide Hellas) makes it. What I don't get is how does WA get 2 spot whereas SA only get 1. SA league is better than the WA league IMO. I hope to see South Melbourne v Melbourne Victory. That'll be a good match up. I'm also glad that they'll be televising some of these games. The only thing that I'm worried about is supporters following 2 teams. See I'm a supporter of both Adelaide United and West Adelaide Hellas. If the 2 teams happen to face off against each other, I wouldn't know who to support. Since I like both teams equally.

Its hard but considering Adelaide United didnt exist when West Adelaide were going around (great club) i reacon you should go for your original team, afterall they are probably the reason you got into local soccer in the first place and supporting the underdog is always more fun, myself personally its South Melbourne in winter and MV in summer...if the 2 clash it has to be SM as i've followed them for roughly 15 years more then MV.

This is pointless in Australia for the following reasons:
1. The vast majority of clubs below the A-League don't have the funds/resources/quality of players to make any sort of cup run.
2. The vast majority of people don't know/give a s**t/have even heard of most clubs outside the A-League.

I know the Victorian Premier League clubs and other Vic clubs, but couldn't name 5 other clubs outside Vic.

It works in England because even lower leagues have massive supporter bases and following, and a lot of Championship sides have decent squads that can challenge the lower EPL clubs on their day.

I'd like the idea, but unfortunately the comp will be lame imo.

Well then you might learn something.

Its hard but considering Adelaide United didnt exist when West Adelaide were going around (great club) i reacon you should go for your original team, afterall they are probably the reason you got into local soccer in the first place and supporting the underdog is always more fun, myself personally its South Melbourne in winter and MV in summer...if the 2 clash it has to be SM as i've followed them for roughly 15 years more then MV.

I'm going to put you on the spot here.

What will you do if or when South Melbourne enter the A-League? will you swap back to South? even after everything you'll been through as a Victory fan? Can you swap back so easily? If so how can you emotionally stop caring for a club you use to support?

I know some Heart fans did it back when they entered the competition and I just never understood it, how can you do that after you invested so much in to the club financially and emotionally.

I understand it's a totally different situation with you because South was your original club and I'm not putting you in that Heart category, but do you ever think or debate about it personally in your mind or with mates?

Last edited:
lets not kid ourselves South Melbourne will never be in the A league, and because of that its something i really havent given much thought, if by some miracle promotion/relegation was introduced and it happened it would be an easy choice for me, mv is the team i support for the good of the game, i jumped on board because i knew such a club could take the game forward..SM on the other hand is my actual club that i have followed since i was s child...the league they play in is irrelevant to me..i follow them wherever and they come before everything else, but that's just me, I know other long time south fans who are more passionate about mv and wouldnt choose south...guess it depends on the person....the nsl to a lesgue transition was a tough gig for many. For me it really wouldn't be swapping back, I watch sm in winter and mv in summer...so it's not like I haven't been to south for 10 yrs or anything.

lets not kid ourselves South Melbourne will never be in the A league, and because of that its something i really havent given much thought, if by some miracle promotion/relegation was introduced and it happened it would be an easy choice for me, mv is the team i support for the good of the game, i jumped on board because i knew such a club could take the game forward..SM on the other hand is my actual club that i have followed since i was s child...the league they play in is irrelevant to me..i follow them wherever and they come before everything else, but that's just me, I know other long time south fans who are more passionate about mv and wouldnt choose south...guess it depends on the person....the nsl to a lesgue transition was a tough gig for many. For me it really wouldn't be swapping back, I watch sm in winter and mv in summer...so it's not like I haven't been to south for 10 yrs or anything.

good to hear, love your passion for both clubs and Australian Football.

btw i'm not as far fetched as you are on the issue of south in the A-league, I do believe South will be in the A-league one day most likely a rebranded South Melbourne through, they do have the ambition and potential to be Victoria's third A-league franchise in the future.

It will epic in the short term for now to see a South V Victory FFA Cup Match the Atmosphere will be amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will epic in the short term for now to see a South V Victory FFA Cup Match the Atmosphere will be amazing.
The 14-year old Victory firm wannabes will no doubt start it up against the South Melbourne mental cases. s**t like this is what the mainstream media latch onto. Something will end up happening and the soccer fraternity will again cry fowl and think it's a big conspiracy against them.

The 14-year old Victory firm wannabes will no doubt start it up against the South Melbourne mental cases. s**t like this is what the mainstream media latch onto. Something will end up happening and the soccer fraternity will again cry fowl and think it's a big conspiracy against them.

To be honest if you're looking for South Melbourne mental cases you have missed the boat, crowds are fairly tame these days, dont think i've seen a flare for about over 5 years, the atmosphere is more comedic more then anything, i cant imagine anything happening between the 2 sets of fans, if any group of fans would start something against the old nsl teams it would probably be the Wanderers fans i'd imagine.

good to hear, love your passion for both clubs and Australian Football.

btw i'm not as far fetched as you are on the issue of south in the A-league, I do believe South will be in the A-league one day most likely a rebranded South Melbourne through, they do have the ambition and potential to be Victoria's third A-league franchise in the future.

The beauty about MV coming along was that it allowed me to follow the sport and the team in a more relaxed environment, its helped me appreciate the game as a whole, win/lose or draw i always enjoy the Victory experience.

SM on the other hand im a nervous wreck every time i watch them, i remember last seasons elimination final against cross town rivals Melbourne Knights i had bitten off all my nails lol.

The beauty about MV coming along was that it allowed me to follow the sport and the team in a more relaxed environment, its helped me appreciate the game as a whole, win/lose or draw i always enjoy the Victory experience.

SM on the other hand im a nervous wreck every time i watch them, i remember last seasons elimination final against cross town rivals Melbourne Knights i had bitten off all my nails lol.

I keep seeing people referring to South Melbourne as SM and think people are talking about me...

To compete in the AFC Champions League, one of the criteria is that the clubs are supposed to have a minimum average crowd of over 5,000.
No Australian non A-League teams would meet those requirements.
I am not sure how strictly it is enforced as I know that some of the Arab domestic leagues have very poor crowds and still compete in the ACL.

Tampines Rovers have played in numerous ACL campaigns (including 2014) with a stadium that holds 4,000.

The FFA will be able to get around it.

Great starting platform IMO :thumbsu:

Final is only on a Tuesday because of the Asian Cup, ACL and A-League fixtures, should be on a weekend on the future.

would be bigger facing melb knights or syd united away. a real possibility if we get top 4.

To compete in the AFC Champions League, one of the criteria is that the clubs are supposed to have a minimum average crowd of over 5,000.
No Australian non A-League teams would meet those requirements.
I am not sure how strictly it is enforced as I know that some of the Arab domestic leagues have very poor crowds and still compete in the ACL.

Yeah the Thai army or something had a team in it in one of the first years A-League teams competed. They got hundreds, not thousands.

I do believe the FFA do need to dangle a carrot so it is taken seriously. Whether that be a major cash prize or a champions league spot. Obviously the CL travel costs would need to be covered by the FFA if earned by a semi-pro team.

Mate you are still thinking like its 2007. A lot as has changed sense that friendly match, circumstances have changed in fortunes for both clubs and both sets of supporters have changed and dare I say them 14 year olds have either grown up of been told to Piss Off!

Get with the times man!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back