FFA Cup Final – Adelaide Utd v Perth Glory Dec 16

Remove this Banner Ad

To compete in the AFC Champions League, one of the criteria is that the clubs are supposed to have a minimum average crowd of over 5,000.
No Australian non A-League teams would meet those requirements.
I am not sure how strictly it is enforced as I know that some of the Arab domestic leagues have very poor crowds and still compete in the ACL.

Where you come up with that rule? got a link? and how is it measured by membership? average attendance during the season??

Where you come up with that rule? got a link? and how is it measured by membership? average attendance during the season??

http://www.the-afc.com/uploads/afc/docs/acl2011criteria.pdf

I remember it getting chucked about on the football forums when GCU were getting poor crowds in case they qualified.
I dug around a bit. Although applicable in the 2011 ACL, I can't find any updated documents so maybe it got changed.
I don't think it was ever policed but it was a rule at one stage.

To compete in the AFC Champions League, one of the criteria is that the clubs are supposed to have a minimum average crowd of over 5,000.
No Australian non A-League teams would meet those requirements.
I am not sure how strictly it is enforced as I know that some of the Arab domestic leagues have very poor crowds and still compete in the ACL.

All those oil leagues in the middle east play in front of 2,000 people, some even in the hundreds

Updated
Former NSL clubs in the FFA cup qualifying so far:
Adelaide City vs Adelaide Blue Eagles (SA 2nd Round)
APIA Leichhardt vs Manly United (NSW 4th Round)
Blacktown City vs TBD (NSW 4th Round)
Brisbane City vs TBD (QLD 4th Round)
Brisbane Strikers vs TBD (QLD 4th Round)
Brunswick Zebras (now Moreland Zebras) vs Kingston City (VIC 4th Round)
Canberra City lost to Canberra FC 6-0 (ACT 3rd Round)
Canterbury-Marrickville (now Bankstown Berries) vs Stanmore Hawks (NSW 3rd Round)
Green Gully vs Ballarat Red Devils (VIC 4th Round)
Heidelberg United vs Dandenong Thunder (VIC 4th Round)
Marconi vs TBD (NSW 4th Round)
Melbourne Knights vs Whittlesea Ranges (Vic 4th Round)
Mooroolbark lost to Plenty Valley Lions 2-1 (Vic 3rd Round)
Newcastle Rosebud (now Adamstown Rosebuds) lost to Weston Workers Bears 2-0 (NNSW 1st Round)
Northern Spirit (Now Spirit FC) vs TBD (NSW 3rd Round)
North Queensland Fury (now Northern Fury FC) vs TBD (QLD 4th Round)
Parramatta Melita vs Hills Brumbies (NSW 3rd Round)
Preston Lions vs North Geelong Warriors (Vic 4th Round)
South Melbourne vs Sunshine George Cross (Vic 4th Round)
St George Saints vs TBD (NSW 4th Round)
Sydney City Hakoah vs TBD (NSW 3rd Round)
Sydney Olympic vs TBD (NSW 4th Round)
Sydney United vs TBD (NSW 4th Round)
West Adelaide vs Western Toros (SA 2nd Round)
Wollongong Macedonia (now Wollongong United) vs Dulwich Hill (NSW 3rd Round)
Wollongong Wolves (now South Coast Wolves ) vs TBD (NSW 4th Round)

Last edited:
Updated
Adelaide City vs Adelaide Blue Eagles (SA 2nd Round)
APIA Leichhardt vs Manly United (NSW 4th Round)
Blacktown City vs Bankstown City or Gladesville Ryde Magic (NSW 4th Round)
Brunswick Zebras (now Moreland Zebras) vs Bentleigh Greens (VIC 5th Round)
Canterbury-Marrickville (now Bankstown Berries) vs Stanmore Hawks (NSW 3rd Round)
Green Gully vs Frankston Pines (VIC 5th Round)
Heidelberg United lost 2-1 to Dandenong Thunder (VIC 4th Round)
Marconi vs Auburn or Manly Vale or Dapto Dandaloo Fury (NSW 4th Round)
Melbourne Knights vs Noble Park Utd or Mornington (Vic 5th Round)
Newcastle Rosebud (now Adamstown Rosebuds) lost to Weston Workers Bears 2-0 (NNSW 1st Round)
Northern Spirit (Now Spirit FC) vs Rydalmere Lions (NSW 3rd Round)
North Queensland Fury (now Northern Fury FC) vs Townsville Warriors or Brothers Townsville (QLD 4th Round)
Parramatta Melita vs Hills Brumbies (NSW 3rd Round)
Preston Lions vs Werribee City (Vic 5th Round)
Sunshine George Cross lost 1-0 to South Melbourne (Vic 4th Round)
South Melbourne vs Berwick City (Vic 5th Round)
St George Saints vs Bankstown Berries or Stanmore Hawks (NSW 4th Round)
Sydney City Hakoah vs Dunbar Rovers (NSW 3rd Round)
Sydney Olympic vs Central Coast Academy or Mosman or Propesct Utd (NSW 4th Round)
Sydney United vs Spirit FC or Rydalmere Lions (NSW 4th Round)
West Adelaide vs Western Toros (SA 2nd Round)
Wollongong Macedonia (now Wollongong United) vs Dulwich Hill (NSW 3rd Round)
Wollongong Wolves (now South Coast Wolves ) vs Hurstville or Southern Bulls (NSW 4th Round)

Including the 10 A-league team, 629 teams entered the FFA cup (however Central Coast Mariners Academy Team is entered in the NSW Waratah Cup, but is not eligible to progress to FFA cup proper). 244 clubs remain in the running.

West Adelaide Hellas into the semis of the FFSA cup!! C'mon boys, 2 more wins and we're back on the big stage! :D

Updated

City were defeated last round by LoganFC
Strikers got through with a win over Capalaba
You also have Qld Lions which is the old Brisbane Lions who beat NPL side Moreton Bay last round.

We're into the last 8 up here with two sides making it through.

Lions v Logan
Strikers v Ipswich Knights
Wolves v Olympic
Peninsula v Rochedale

Last round all bar two NPL sides (Strikers and Olympic) were knocked out by BPL sides. Olympic played a 4th division side so they were always going through.

Games to be played this Wednesday.

C
You also have Qld Lions which is the old Brisbane Lions who beat NPL side Moreton Bay last round.
I had just assumed that Brisbane Roar were the old Brisbane Lions, but i guess that isn't the case anymore.

Former NSL clubs in the FFA cup qualifying so far: Some of the links to modern clubs might be tenuous (especially the Northen Spirit - Spirit FC) but I just went by what wikipedia said (such a reliable source of info).

Already out:
APIA Leichhardt lost 2-0 to Manly United (NSW 4th Round)
Canterbury-Marrickville (now Bankstown Berries) lost 1-0 to St George Saints (NSW 4th Round)
Heidelberg United lost 2-1 to Dandenong Thunder (VIC 4th Round)
Northern Spirit (Now Spirit FC) lost 4-0 to Sydney United (NSW 4th Round)
Sunshine George Cross lost 1-0 to South Melbourne (Vic 4th Round)
Wollongong Macedonia (now Wollongong United) lost 4-2 to Dulwich Hill (NSW 3rd Round)
Marconi lost 2-0 to Blacktown City (NSW 5th Round)
St George Saints lost 6-0 to Sydney Olympic (NSW 5th Round)
Brisbane City lost 1-0 to Logan Lightning (QLD 4th Round)
Brunswick Zebras (now Moreland Zebras) lost 3-1 to Bentleigh Greens (VIC 5th Round)
Preston Lions lost 5-0 to Werribee City (Vic 5th Round)

Still In:
Adelaide City vs Western Strikers or West Adelaide (SA Final)
Blacktown City vs Sydney City Hakoah (NSW ¼ Finals)
Brisbane Strikers vs Ipswich Knights (QLD 5th Round)
Green Gully vs TBD (VIC 6th Round)
Brisbane Lions (now Queensland Lions) vs Logan Lightening (QLD 5th Round)
Melbourne Knights vs Mornington (Vic 5th Round)
North Queensland Fury (now Northern Fury FC) vs Far Nth Qld Heat (QLD 5th Round)
Parramatta Melita vs South Coast Wolves (NSW ¼ Finals)
South Melbourne vs TBD (Vic 6th Round)
Sydney City Hakoah vs Blacktown City (NSW ¼ Finals)
Sydney Olympic vs Sydney United (NSW ¼ Finals)
Sydney United vs Sydney Olympic (NSW ¼ Finals)
West Adelaide vs Western Strikers (SA SF)
Wollongong Wolves (now South Coast Wolves ) vs Parramatta Melita (NSW ¼ Finals)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Westfield new naming rights partner of FFA Cup

Westfield will be the inaugural naming rights partner of the FFA Cup with the competition to be referred to as the Westfield FFA Cup for the next three seasons.

Speaking at today’s historic announcement, FFA CEO David Gallop, paid tribute to the support that Westfield provides to football in Australia.

“It gives me great pleasure to announce that one of Australia’s iconic businesses, Westfield, will be the inaugural Naming Rights Partner of the FFA Cup,” said Gallop.

“FFA has enjoyed a long and mutually beneficial relationship with Westfield since 2008, and we are delighted that the partnership has been renewed for a further three years.

Westfield will continue as the naming rights partner of the Westfield Matildas, the naming rights partner Westfield W-League, a partner of the Socceroos and community football, and of course now the relationship has expanded to include Westfield as the Major Partner of the FFA Cup.

“In addition, we welcome Fox Sports, Harvey Norman and NAB as foundation partners of the Westfield FFA Cup.

“With the corporate support of our partners, we can finally realise our dream of having a truly national football competition that connects the grass roots to the semi-professional tier and through to the elite level of the Hyundai A-League.

“Since unveiling the Cup in February, there has been a genuine buzz amongst the Australian football community and today’s partnership announcements provide another historic moment in the genesis of the competition,” concluded Gallop.

Westfield Australia’s Director of Marketing, John Batistich, was also excited about being the inaugural naming rights partner of the Westfield FFA Cup.

“Our partnership with the FFA has grown since 2008, and we are excited to strengthen our alignment in 2014, as the Major Partner of the Westfield FFA Cup,” said Batistich.

“The Westfield FFA Cup is another step in developing Australia’s largest participation sport and connecting local football clubs with our 39 Westfield shopping centres right across the country,” he said.

FFA also announced today that Umbro will be the “Official Ball Supplier of the Westfield FFA Cup”, and will supply a specially designed FFA Cup Match Ball which will also be available for football fans in select retail outlets.

The official broadcast partner of the Westfield FFA Cup, Fox Sports, will broadcast live and exclusive the Round of 32 draw on Thursday, 26 June 2014. Fox Sports coverage of the Westfield FFA Cup 2014 will include a minimum of 10 matches from the Round of 32 onwards, including all Quarter Finals, both Semi Finals and the Westfield FFA Cup Final 2014.

Key Dates of the Westfield FFA Cup 2014

Live Draw of Westfield FFA Cup 2014 Round of 32 - Thursday, 26 June 2014
Westfield FFA Cup 2014 Round of 32 matches commence - Tuesday, 29 July 2014
Live Draw of Westfield FFA Cup 2014 Round of 16 - Thursday, 21 August 2014
Live Draw of Westfield FFA Cup 2014 Quarter Finals - Thursday, 25 September 2014
Live Draw of Westfield FFA Cup 2014 Semi Finals - Thursday, 6 November 2014
Westfield FFA Cup Final 2014 Activities W/C Monday - 8 December 2014
Westfield FFA Cup Semi Final 2014 (1) - Tuesday, 11 November 2014
Westfield FFA Cup Semi Final 2014 (2) - Tuesday, 25 November 2014
Westfield FFA Cup Final 2014 Tuesday - 16 December 2014

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...ld-new-naming-rights-partner-of-FFA-Cup/90439

I wasn't expecting such big name sponsors to kick it off, but it just shows the potential it has. If this competition is done right it will be huge!

Looking forward to it!

I know the semis of our comp is on the June long weekend. The two winners qualify for the main draw. Jacob Burns is now playing for one of these teams. Can't keep the man away!

I'd support Northcote of the 2, both are pretty close but my sister lives in Northcote so them I guess. Hopefully they don't cop South Melbourne next rund

FFA Cup draw taking place on the 26th June at 9am according to Fox Sports. Saw it at half time during the Australia vs Croatia telecast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back