FFA Cup Final – Adelaide Utd v Perth Glory Dec 16

royaldave

Senior List
Jan 6, 2004
Perth
Other Teams
East Perth, Leeds United
Agree. They need to get priorities right. What would've been a big game now feels like anything but.

Additionally both the Stirling Lions and Bayswater City games will now be played at the (crap) Athletics Stadium. Again due to lighting issues. Clubs requested a daytime fixture but FFA said no and threatened to pull the games over east if they didn't comply.

So the small guys lose home ground advantage and the chance to earn some $$.

Anyone watching? I am quite enjoying the Broadmeadows Vs Strikers game. I also think the coverage has been quite good from Foxtel.

i am enjoying the game.

however, gary phillips comments are infuriating

- horizontal ball (one that goes from one wing to another, but seriously, wtf??)
- capitalised. if you have this word in your houses drinking game, you'd require a new liver

simon hill. what a commentator. afl cohorts listen and learn

Jun 13, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
i am enjoying the game.

however, gary phillips comments are infuriating

- horizontal ball (one that goes from one wing to another, but seriously, wtf??)
- capitalised. if you have this word in your houses drinking game, you'd require a new liver

simon hill. what a commentator. afl cohorts listen and learn

Agreed. Simon Hill is a class commentator!

Cracking match. How about the goalie getting sent off without another sub available. Love how they change over to the other match for penalties as well.

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Was a fantastic night of football, it was cup football at it's best. Hell even the post match interviews where the lower ranked clubs say they will all head down to the pub after. The AFL's Foxtel Cup has absolutely nothing on this. This was something special. Well done Fox and ABC for the fantastic coverage.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Additionally both the Stirling Lions and Bayswater City games will now be played at the (crap) Athletics Stadium. Again due to lighting issues. Clubs requested a daytime fixture but FFA said no and threatened to pull the games over east if they didn't comply.

So the small guys lose home ground advantage and the chance to earn some $$.

Don't think a daytime kickoff is feasible mid week.

polo9

All Australian
Dec 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
was at the south springy match. amazing stuff (Y) would love to see them draw an a-league team next round.

apparently the coverage was excellent, hopefully it's the same sort of coverage over the next 3 weeks.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
was at the south springy match. amazing stuff (Y) would love to see them draw an a-league team next round.

apparently the coverage was excellent, hopefully it's the same sort of coverage over the next 3 weeks.
Coverage was brilliant. Really loved them showing the goals from the other games as they happened.

Does anyone know what the televised game is next week?

polo9

All Australian
Dec 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Coverage was brilliant. Really loved them showing the goals from the other games as they happened.

nothing so far but going by people on twitter/fb/forums, fox sports would be stupid not to do the same next week

Jets v Glory
Parramatta v St Albans
South Hobart v Tuggeranong
Adelaide Utd v Wellington

would hope they keep the theme of covering state league teams, so Parramatta and St Albans would be my pick

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Only saw the first half tonight, but have to agree the coverage was very good especially considering no A-League teams were there. Also have to agree that Simon Hill is nothing but quality. Think the Cup competition will work well, but as others have said the whole Melbourne City vs Sydney thing in Ballarat is a little ridiculous.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Only saw the first half tonight, but have to agree the coverage was very good especially considering no A-League teams were there. Also have to agree that Simon Hill is nothing but quality. Think the Cup competition will work well, but as others have said the whole Melbourne City vs Sydney thing in Ballarat is a little ridiculous.

TBF, A Lague teams normally play pre season games around the country. FFA Cup is in their pre-season, so it is a bit of a replacement for those lost games. are all all A-League clubs playing in regional areas?

i think the bigger issue is the draw itself. should put all the teams in the same pot. i dont really care if their is no regional clubs in the quarters. would just be less colluded.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
TBF, A Lague teams normally play pre season games around the country. FFA Cup is in their pre-season, so it is a bit of a replacement for those lost games. are all all A-League clubs playing in regional areas?

i think the bigger issue is the draw itself. should put all the teams in the same pot. i dont really care if their is no regional clubs in the quarters. would just be less colluded.

Well Adelaide are playing Wellington at Marden which is about the same distance from the city as Hindmarsh. It seems as though the WA games are being played in Perth. Not sure where I stand on the whole 1 non-A-league side getting into the semis. It's good that there will be a team there but the fact that there has to be one makes it a little generic if you ask me.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles

I agree with your sentiment about everyone being put in one pot. The whole point of the Cup is that it's a lottery.

You can't seriously tell me that one of the regional teams that were eliminated last night wouldn't have preferred to play A League teams. Now they won't get the chance.

i was cynical when broady v brissie was announced as the game. thought it was a nsw/sydney decision. but had this been the case they wouldve shown manly v syd oly.

but wowee boy oh boy! what a fantastic telecast. i noted with interest that hill knew every players name.

I agree with your sentiment about everyone being put in one pot. The whole point of the Cup is that it's a lottery.

You can't seriously tell me that one of the regional teams that were eliminated last night wouldn't have preferred to play A League teams. Now they won't get the chance.

i believe the ffa feel its best to have at least one a league team in the final (probably sydney fc).

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
i was cynical when broady v brissie was announced as the game. thought it was a nsw/sydney decision. but had this been the case they wouldve shown manly v syd oly.

but wowee boy oh boy! what a fantastic telecast. i noted with interest that hill knew every players name.
I've met Simon Hill a couple of times. You'll never meet a better professional. He absolutely loves the game and mixes that with an incredible knowledge of it. Always happy for people to pick his brain as well.

Surely they'd expect that would still happen in a random draw? The odds of all A league teams being knocked out before the final would be incredibly low.

correct. but i still think the ffa want as much guarantee as possible that an a league team is final for gate revenue and other business related facets.

hopefully in the future they do randomise the draw, although their current method suggests some form of seeding a la world cup draw.

i do believe strongly that the ffa want sydney fc to win the inaugural comp. much like they did in season 1 of a-league.

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
Loved it. Glad it actually worked so well as have liked to concept from the day it was announced. Giving club players the chance to play against the elite in the country is great for the game.

Virtually no other major sport in this country offers players a similar opportunity, only sport I can think of is cricket when the national players make one of their rare appearances in the district competition (depends on whether the international plays both long and short forms of the game or not).

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
correct. but i still think the ffa want as much guarantee as possible that an a league team is final for gate revenue and other business related facets.

hopefully in the future they do randomise the draw, although their current method suggests some form of seeding a la world cup draw.

i do believe strongly that the ffa want sydney fc to win the inaugural comp. much like they did in season 1 of a-league.
With the current seeding process, does it guarantee at least one finalist will be an A League club?

Wasn't able to watch any of the games but from accounts, was plenty of drama and the FFA Cup started with a nice bang!

What were the crowds like? Hopefully got some great attendances!

Back