FFA Cup Final – Adelaide Utd v Perth Glory Dec 16

Remove this Banner Ad

No. It's a s**t idea. This competition will never be taken truly seriously if it's all played in pre season and in the first 5 weeks of the season. The final has to be after the new year, preferably in February.

What they should do is add more non-league sides and have a Round of 44, so 22 get eliminated and then the 10 A-League sides get added making 32 in the second round.

Gives the non-league sides a chance to get more of a cup run going as well as allowing the A-League sides to play most of their games during their season. If it's all played early it will basically be considered a pre season competition and will be treated as such by fans and teams.

The thing is that it wouldn't be pre season for half the clubs in the tournament. Perhaps a good idea would be to have the final on Australia Day every year in Canberra? Get a tradition going so to speak.

The thing is that it wouldn't be pre season for half the clubs in the tournament. Perhaps a good idea would be to have the final on Australia Day every year in Canberra? Get a tradition going so to speak.

Again no. Who would go to Adelaide vs Perth in Canberra for example?

This isn't the FA Cup or Champions League Final, there isn't enough history, prestige and tradition behind it to attract neutrals or encourage large amounts of travelling fans to come over to a neutral city.

Australia is also a massive country not like England or Europe, infeasible to expect fans to travel long distances.

Australia Day is also a very crowded day sporting wise. The Cup final should be played a randomly selected home ground of one of the two competing teams on a Saturday in February with that being the only football match that day.

And for the vast majority of the A-League and TV football fans, the season runs from October-May, when public interest isn't high you aren't going to get big crowds or ratings playing in August or September.

Perth have once again been robbed of a major football match. Oh well, will be better to beat them on their own turf.

And what have Adelaide ever hosted recently? It's not like it's Sydney or Melbourne robbing you its little old Adelaide :p. I mean I totally understand Perth people being annoyed but it's not like you were ever guaranteed to host it anyway. May the best team win...

Last edited:
And what have Adelaide ever hosted recently? It's not like it's Sydney or Melbourne robbing you its little old Adelaide :p. I mean I totally understand Perth people being annoyed but it's not like you were ever guaranteed to host it anyway. May the best team win...
No, the problem is the exact opposite. We were guaranteed to not host it, and that's fairly ****ed up.

Given weve had the hardest run in the cup its only fair we host :p

Day before I head to the US for holiday, be nice to be leaving a winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be good. Hopefully Bruce is back on deck by then and we have a nice high scoring affair. Plenty of firepower in both sides.

So why isn't the final played over two legs? That would seem a more equitable solution than arbitrarily basing the location on the whims of the broadcaster wanting to show the game at a convenient time to the eastern seaboard who, incidentally, aren't represented in the game itself.

I'm starting to think now that the A-league grand final should be played over 2 legs and this one should be one legged as it would make the FFA Cup final (and the cup itself) a little more meaningful. Neutral ground would be ideal, but it ain't gonna work unless they head down the path of the BBL and just play it in Canberra, I think a regional venue could make the crowds at a neutral venue higher.

They got rid of two legged finals leading up to the Grand Final in the A-League 2 years ago as your average half arsed fan who normally follows something else couldn't understand the away goals rule.

Seeing as it's guaranteed that one non-A League club makes the semi, just make the winner of the other semi have rights to host the final.

I don't get Perth crying foul when they basically got a free pass to the final.

Genuine question - would you rather be drawn a team like Bentleigh in the semi knowing you wouldn't then host the final or would you rather be drawn a team like Mariners?

Seeing as it's guaranteed that one non-A League club makes the semi, just make the winner of the other semi have rights to host the final.

I don't get Perth crying foul when they basically got a free pass to the final.

Genuine question - would you rather be drawn a team like Bentleigh in the semi knowing you wouldn't then host the final or would you rather be drawn a team like Mariners?
Perth:

Newcastle Away
St Albans Away
Melb. Victory Home
Bentleigh Away

Adelaide:

WSW Home
Brisbane Home
Sydney Away
CCM Home

We may have had an easier run, but Adelaide only travelled once (which was to Sydney) compared to Perth who travelled across the country three out of four times. We also only had one day between beating the Mariners and our semi with Bentleigh. Far from a free pass. The final should either be played over two legs or at a neutral venue. Or, the FFA could've at least taken it to a random draw instead of deciding that Perth wouldn't host the final before we've even made it.

Perth:

Newcastle Away
St Albans Away
Melb. Victory Home
Bentleigh Away

Adelaide:

WSW Home
Brisbane Home
Sydney Away
CCM Home

We may have had an easier run, but Adelaide only travelled once (which was to Sydney) compared to Perth who travelled across the country three out of four times. We also only had one day between beating the Mariners and our semi with Bentleigh. Far from a free pass. The final should either be played over two legs or at a neutral venue. Or, the FFA could've at least taken it to a random draw instead of deciding that Perth wouldn't host the final before we've even made it.
Dude... you played two sides with part-time footballers playing... you got nothing to whinge about.

Dude... you played two sides with part-time footballers playing... you got nothing to whinge about.
I'm not whinging, I'm saying we didn't have the dream run that some make out and the system that the FFA used to decide on the venue for the final is flawed. I can see how you thought I was whinging though, seeing as that's all you do.

I'm not whinging, I'm saying we didn't have the dream run that some make out and the system that the FFA used to decide on the venue for the final is flawed. I can see how you thought I was whinging though, seeing as that's all you do.
No, it's not all I do at all. Everyone has a whinge about something, it's called human nature.

You might not even be in the final if you actually had a fixture like we've had during this cup so consider yourself lucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back