FFA Cup Final – Adelaide Utd v Perth Glory Dec 16

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Looks like it is set to kick off in April 2014.

Each state to have entrants compete from April to October. 9/10 A-League clubs join at that point and will probably be a in the final 32. So that would mean something like this:

9/10 - A-League sides
5 - Victorian
5 - NSW
4 - QLD
4 - SA
3 - WA
1 - Tasmanian
1 - ACT

If Wellington weren't included could make it 2 sides from Tasmania

Tigerdrive

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Sounds great, let's just hope it gets off the ground.

Also believe they're aiming for an Australia Day Final, not a bad idea.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is going to be a disaster. Nobody wants this s**t. You'll be getting ACL-like crowds and a dilution of the A-League 'brand.' So irrelevant to Australian sport.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
This is going to be a disaster. Nobody wants this s**t. You'll be getting ACL-like crowds and a dilution of the A-League 'brand.' So irrelevant to Australian sport.

I think you'll be surprised how many football fans want this especially from the so called "old soccer fans" from the old NSL that will love any chance to prove themselves worthy against an A-league sides.

This will be big for all those smaller club wanting a chance to play an A-League side, crowds will be massive at the later stage of the competition especially if they play matches at the smaller venues, It will also finally bridge the gap from all the old NSL clubs that the FFA so neglected when the A-league started.

If done right will be a huge success.

MelbourneCrow

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea
As Admiral said, it would be massive, small stadiums full, and the bigger ones enjoying healthy crowds at the latter stages of the tourney. Arnie said only yesterday in his presser that 27 games ain't enough for budding professionals here. And definitely add an NT club.......although Gallop has a history of marginalising a non-core area from his sport!

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
As Admiral said, it would be massive, small stadiums full, and the bigger ones enjoying healthy crowds at the latter stages of the tourney. Arnie said only yesterday in his presser that 27 games ain't enough for budding professionals here. And definitely add an NT club.......although Gallop has a history of marginalising a non-core area from his sport!
I'd love to be proven wrong, but I can't imagine it really being that massive. So what if you sell out a ground with 3000 people? The real benefit would be the notion of country sides getting the exposure, money, and excitement of playing an A-League side. Is that going to happen?

xXJawsaXx

Senior List
Jul 1, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Melb. City, Swansea, Penguins
There was an interesting idea that the winner of the FFA cup should get .5 of an ACL spot.

polo9

All Australian
Dec 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
There was an interesting idea that the winner of the FFA cup should get .5 of an ACL spot.

definitely needs to be done

although with the ACL putting most a-league clubs in the negative, i'd hate to imagine what it would do to state clubs

xXJawsaXx

Senior List
Jul 1, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
has happened before..
I know, but I meant in the context of a cup competition in which there is something to win.

definitely needs to be done

although with the ACL putting most a-league clubs in the negative, i'd hate to imagine what it would do to state clubs

Could you imagine Green Gully playing in the ACL against a Chinese team? Would be huge for the local community, and has the potential to add some life to the state league clubs. The state league clubs aren't as horrendously bad as the majority think. It still may take a while for one to win the cup, but I can picture some upsets next year.

Yes, there is the issue of cost, but that is something that the FFA will have to figure out.

polo9

All Australian
Dec 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
of course it will be good for the club etc but the cost is the biggest issue. it cost central coast 300k for 3 away games in the group stage, that plus all the other costs the champions league comes with. not sure how it will put life into the state league when its gonna cost them massive $$$ to just play the group stages or even the play-off if its only half a spot

it does sound great though, don't get me wrong but the cost is the biggest issue

xXJawsaXx

Senior List
Jul 1, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I know, I am sure this has been brought up around FFA hq and they have some sort of solution.

Crows_United_FC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
If a state team does win the FFA Cup (Unlikely but possible) and are given a .5 spot in ACL then they should play their home games at the a good stadium in their city. Say if Adelaide City win, they should play their ACL games at Hindmarsh. Teams like South Melbourne would be ok because their stadium is actually very good. A-league standard for sure.

The potential match ups could be good. Melbourne Victory vs South Melbourne would be awesome and should get TV coverage. It would be cool if they can get as many games on TV as possible. Even a joint deal with SBS would be cool. Imagine they televise a great rivalry like South Melbourne Hellas vs Sydney Olympic on Foxsports/SBS. or Adelaide City vs West Adelaide etc... I see no reason to not show the 1st round games after all ESPN show round 1 FA Cup games between no name lower league teams that no one really gives a s**t about.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
I think you'll be surprised how many football fans want this especially from the so called "old soccer fans" from the old NSL that will love any chance to prove themselves worthy against an A-league sides.

This will be big for all those smaller club wanting a chance to play an A-League side, crowds will be massive at the later stage of the competition especially if they play matches at the smaller venues, It will also finally bridge the gap from all the old NSL clubs that the FFA so neglected when the A-league started.

If done right will be a huge success.

Remember that he was but a wee child when the NSL was around Giggler.

A lot of people I know that are half arsed with their following of the A-League are really looking forward to this. I think some Glory fans want to play some our old foes from the NSL days. Our friends from Sunshine especially.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Remember that he was but a wee child when the NSL was around Giggler.

A lot of people I know that are half arsed with their following of the A-League are really looking forward to this. I think some Glory fans want to play some our old foes from the NSL days. Our friends from Sunshine especially.
The Glory hosting the Wolves would be pretty cool. And those ties are what's going to give this thing vigour. The majority of A-League v State League games are going to be pretty much skimmed over except for the biannual upset.

I still think this is a massive waste of time and effort and no one will care. I'd like to be proven wrong, though. If they're announcing it now then hopefully it's an August kick-off, ride the World Cup wave, and an Australia Day final.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
The Glory hosting the Wolves would be pretty cool. And those ties are what's going to give this thing vigour. The majority of A-League v State League games are going to be pretty much skimmed over except for the biannual upset.

I still think this is a massive waste of time and effort and no one will care. I'd like to be proven wrong, though. If they're announcing it now then hopefully it's an August kick-off, ride the World Cup wave, and an Australia Day final.

Some state leagues have already starter their qualification ties.
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=89609

In terms of A-League clubs entering the Cup (when it will take meaning) I'll say around August September just before the season kicks off.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos

Ted38

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The Jihadi Jets
Why do Soccer goal keepers almost always fall to the ground when trying to stop a goal, even when the shot is obviously going to be wide or too high?

Back