Sport FIFA world cup Brazil 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
The big dance is coming up soon in Brazil, any big fans in here? I have been to the last 2 so it will be a strange experince for me to watch one from home, Wouldnt mind a place to talk all things world cup with like minded people during the wee hours of the match time mornings.

although i guess the Brazil time zone may be kind to us, may get games around 5/6/7/8 AM rather than stupid oclock.

Draw is happening tonight/tomorrow morning... as always with FIFA it will be a farce but we can hope for a good one, atleast we wont be in the group of death.. that needs 4 good teams :p

The pots are like this;

Pot 1: Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Uruguay, Switzerland

Pot 2: Chile, Ecuador, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon

Pot 3: Australia, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Costa Rica, Mexico, Honduras, United States

Pot 4: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia

with each group obviously having one team from each pot....

Sadly we can't draw another weak asian/concacf nation which makes it harder.

Best case we draw Switzerland as a seed along with a weak african and a Greece or Russia, worst case we draw Spain Chile Netherlands or something!

We have some histories with Uruguay but who would want to face Suarez and Cavani? Unfinished business with Italy also... Wouldnt be aginst drawing Eng-er-land either, our rivalry could even things out..plus they just aint that good!

In saying that either are we, but we are better than our rank siggests.. i trust in Anges philosophies, his attacking nature, playing out from the back on the carpet and most importantly having a home grown man to inspire playing for the bloody shirt and flag again!!

I'm not saying we can win.. maybe not even leave whatever group we get.. but i don't think we will get embarassed.

Anyhow i just did a faux draw and we got Germany, Ecuador and Croatia so we are a chance :p

So anyone up for football thread chats? keen for the draw tonight? ideas for our team selections? Lucas Neil bashings?

lets do it Australia!

Just know we'll end up with England and Brazil or some group of death bullshit. It's sad really, because atleast back in 2006 we played with heart. Now everyone expects us to qualify for the World Cup quarter final or something, so the support we had back then just isn't there now

To be fair we were smack in the middle of a golden generation in 06, world class players like kewell, viduka, cahill, emerton, in their pomp, moore, breschiano, neil, chipperfield and co all playing top level football at their clubs, and they were well managed... its easy to play with heart when you also have a skilled squad!

Now we are at the low ebb but do have some kids that could fill that void, to be our next world class players, kruse, rogic, langerak, ryan, oar, leckie... we just have to persrvere and wait.. they will come good! Ange will have them playign with heart, dont worry bout that

True, but even still, it was still massive for us, and being the underdogs helped immensely I think.

Our national teams development would be helped along a lot more if the quality of the play in the A-league wasn't so abysmal. Having a good national competition is the cornerstone of any good national team

To be fair we were smack in the middle of a golden generation in 06, world class players like kewell, viduka, cahill, emerton, in their pomp, moore, breschiano, neil, chipperfield and co all playing top level football at their clubs, and they were well managed... its easy to play with heart when you also have a skilled squad!

Now we are at the low ebb but do have some kids that could fill that void, to be our next world class players, kruse, rogic, langerak, ryan, oar, leckie... we just have to persrvere and wait.. they will come good! Ange will have them playign with heart, dont worry bout that

Oar is ******* brilliant. Love watching him play

Oar is ******* brilliant. Love watching him play
He's my one hope for the future. Him as Kruse, but I don't feel like he's got much more development in him

I'll be really happy if we get England.

They're not fantastic at the moment and just the chance to beat them would be fantastic. That said, I don't care about not progressing from the group stage this world cup. Just hoping to see some improvement in the play of the squad before the Asian Cup and the 2018 WC.

Second team will be Belgium, though I think Brazil are going to be incredibly difficult to beat.

Yeh the amount of talk there's been about a potential England match up the last two cups, it's be great to see it actually happen next year. Even though I'm sure we'd still get flogged

True, but even still, it was still massive for us, and being the underdogs helped immensely I think.

Our national teams development would be helped along a lot more if the quality of the play in the A-league wasn't so abysmal. Having a good national competition is the cornerstone of any good national team

for me the a-league is unwatchable!

just a feeder league, if you show anything you are on the first plane to europe, come back when you are 37 and need one last pay check :p hard to keep a decent standard league when any talent is taken right away.

our best hope is to get lots of players getting well coached in europe i think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is so much quality in an Oar-Rogic-Kruse AM trio. When they hit their prime, it will be fantastic to watch.

Who would you play as the forward? I haven't watched much football recently so I don't know who's the young forward coming up

id love to see cahill up top, rogic behind him with oar and kruse either side.... the speed of those two is awesome... when in doubt just use pace.

Timmy <3. Out of curiosity, what's the squad Australia would be looking at for the WC?

I'll be really happy if we get England.

They're not fantastic at the moment and just the chance to beat them would be fantastic. That said, I don't care about not progressing from the group stage this world cup. Just hoping to see some improvement in the play of the squad before the Asian Cup and the 2018 WC.

Second team will be Belgium, though I think Brazil are going to be incredibly difficult to beat.

all over belguim, what a squad! i took them at $30 ages ago.... ill be riding that ticket ;)

you reckon it could go one of 2 ways for brazil? they come out and smash it, or panic from the home town pressure like last time they had it and fall apart.

for me the a-league is unwatchable!

just a feeder league, if you show anything you are on the first plane to europe, come back when you are 37 and need one last pay check :p hard to keep a decent standard league when any talent is taken right away.

our best hope is to get lots of players getting well coached in europe i think.
Exactly, the quality of the passing is ridiculous, you'd think it was a local league for Christs sake! But yeh, with the xenophobia towards soccer in this country, I can't see the A-league going anywhere

Timmy <3. Out of curiosity, what's the squad Australia would be looking at for the WC?

hmmm not a lot to choose from i guess..

Fwds - maybe Cahill, Leckie , with Kennedy, Holman if they get some form up? Archie a long shot i guess
Att Mids - Kruse, Oar, Rogic, Vidosic, Breschiano, Holland, kewell maybe bench fodder?
Def mids - Milligan, Jedinak
Defs- Neil, Williams, Wilshire, Mckay, Davidson, Bozanic (its dire really!)
keepers - Langerak, Ryan

could line up like;

Langerak
Wilshire - Williams - Neil - Davidson
Milligan - Jedinak
Kruse - Rogic - Oar
Cahill

and hope like hell the 2 def mids shield the defenders well.

no doubt rogic will start on the bench for bresch however...

i could be totally wrong also!

Who would you play as the forward? I haven't watched much football recently so I don't know who's the young forward coming up

Leckie was pretty good against Costa Rica. Cahill and Kennedy will be going for sure to play up front occasionally.

Unsure about the squad though. Would say there would be Holman and Bresciano if his suspension is oveturned or he is allowed to play the WC. Jedinak/Milligan/McKay for sure for the holding midfield positions. Defence I'm not 100% certain who will get picked. Keepers will be Langerak, Ryan and maybe Federici as a third option.

all over belguim, what a squad! i took them at $30 ages ago.... ill be riding that ticket ;)

you reckon it could go one of 2 ways for brazil? they come out and smash it, or panic from the home town pressure like last time they had it and fall apart.

Belgians are really going to be a dark horse for the Cup. I think they'll be even more dangerous in 2018 as well. Hazard is only 22 and is already tearing it up, Benteke and Lukaku are still young... jeez they're gonne be good.

Brazil steamrolled the Confed. Cup at home. I dunno, based on their performance there they will be incredibly difficult to beat.

Exactly, the quality of the passing is ridiculous, you'd think it was a local league for Christs sake! But yeh, with the xenophobia towards soccer in this country, I can't see the A-league going anywhere

The A-League is growing without a doubt. The fanatic support of the Wanderers is a clear indication. Del Piero joining Sydney FC is a massive draw, and if we start getting more and more ageing stars, the profile of the league will increase.

Belgians are really going to be a dark horse for the Cup. I think they'll be even more dangerous in 2018 as well. Hazard is only 22 and is already tearing it up, Benteke and Lukaku are still young... jeez they're gonne be good.

Brazil steamrolled the Confed. Cup at home. I dunno, based on their performance there they will be incredibly difficult to beat.

forgetting benteke and lukaku.... being fed by mirallas, dembele, chadli, de bryne, felliani, hazard and co.. how about kompany, vermalen, vertongen and cortois/mignolet... rock like at the back too! its seriously the golden generation of all time

The A-League is growing without a doubt. The fanatic support of the Wanderers is a clear indication. Del Piero joining Sydney FC is a massive draw, and if we start getting more and more ageing stars, the profile of the league will increase.
Still can't see it going beyond a league for old stars to play their last few seasons. It would need the support of the country as a whole, not just the select few who are blinded by the fact there are other sports other than AFL in this country

its funny, we were quick to jump on the pakistani when we knew he could bowl leg spinners, nows hes an aussie....

surely we could find a striker and a few defenders somewhere in the world who are being persecuted aka not getting a game for their country.. that we can give a home and a shirt too :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back