Remove this Banner Ad

Sir G

Club Legend
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
mayne tigers
Thought I would start a thread on this for anyone going this battle, share your experience,support etc. Anyone's advice or opinions are welcome. I'll comeback later and share mine!

I had one of my best friends die of Cancer when I was 14 but he was fighting the disease until his very last breath. For anyone fighting it currently, keep up the good work!

was diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma earlier of the distal variety. I had to have a whipple procedure performed on me to confirm this cancer, they removed my gallbladder, the head and unicate of my pancreas, my duodenum,piece of my stomach and some of my common bile duct. After surgery my oncologist junior told me I won't be offered chemo cause it won't do me any good, but when I saw my oncologist told him have a son and won't do what can to beat this cancer so he offered chemo to me. near the end of my 6 months chemo, my half way mark ct scan showed no cancer activity,looks like when i finish chemo I will just have follow up appointments. My oncologist said he doesn't know for sure but there is a high chance the cancer will return but at the moment I am cancer free.

was diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma earlier of the distal variety. I had to have a whipple procedure performed on me to confirm this cancer, they removed my gallbladder, the head and unicate of my pancreas, my duodenum,piece of my stomach and some of my common bile duct. After surgery my oncologist junior told me I won't be offered chemo cause it won't do me any good, but when I saw my oncologist told him have a son and won't do what can to beat this cancer so he offered chemo to me. near the end of my 6 months chemo, my half way mark ct scan showed no cancer activity,looks like when i finish chemo I will just have follow up appointments. My oncologist said he doesn't know for sure but there is a high chance the cancer will return but at the moment I am cancer free.

good on u mate,that is *ing awesome!

Noticed first symptoms post footy season last year, it just goes to prove no footy causes cancer:D

good on u mate,that is ruddy awesome!
krudd.photo.jpg

Decent surgery there! Good to hear you're cancer free. In defence of the jnr. doctor there is no proven benefit of chemo in many localised cancers that are surgically resected and the guidelines clearly state that none should be offered (depending on the situation of course!!). He was just following the book and wasn't trying to hurt you in any way/being a flog just to get rid of you.

Decent surgery there! Good to hear you're cancer free. In defence of the jnr. doctor there is no proven benefit of chemo in many localised cancers that are surgically resected and the guidelines clearly state that none should be offered (depending on the situation of course!!). He was just following the book and wasn't trying to hurt you in any way/being a flog just to get rid of you.

Wasn't having acrack at the jr doctor, mind wouldn't mind she was hot, Just didn't want to not go down with out a fight. I have a son to think of, so if it worked it worked if it didn't it didn't won't die wondering what if?

Wasn't having acrack at the jr doctor, mind wouldn't mind she was hot, Just didn't want to not go down with out a fight. I have a son to think of, so if it worked it worked if it didn't it didn't won't die wondering what if?

Exactly. Good peace of mind for you. Just don't tell medicare.

1 thing that shocked me is when I went to my chemo appointment each week was the amount of people there who being treated for cancer at the Royal Brisbane Hospital. Absolutely full!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My aunty ( step aunty ) is currently fighting cancer. We got a call from her on the weekend saying that she loved us all and wanted us to remember her the way she lived and not how she is now. She wont let anybody come and see her, we dont even know what hospital she is in. We are all pretty sure with the info that we know, that she has pretty much acknowledged that this is the end.

My hat goes off to the people that are fighting this disease and still get up and do the daily things that they need to do. Personally I think it would crumble me

Really happy to hear you are beating it mate

Hey Tiger G good luck mate. In the bigfooty community here it's funny because none (or very few of us) know each other by face, just names on a screen, but there is still a feeling of belonging that is something special. Look after yourself and let us know you're ok. I liked your FB page too :)

As someone who was a cancer researcher until recently (moved on to a different medical field), I would like to encourage people here to make a donation to research (any field you like). It is unbelievably expensive, and many projects peer-reviewed as worthy of being funded don't happen due to lack of money.

Basic research in particular generally gives the biggest 'bang-for-buck', but because there is no obvious translational aspect at the beginning, these projects tend to be the most unpopular as perceived by the general public/non-scientists, including the government. A person very close to me was given no hope until an almost half-century long basic research project culminated in a clinical trial that is now routinely done.

When the government talks about cutting funding to projects such as those with no apparent benefit to society (e.g. humanities/arts), this also means cutting back basic scientific research, as they are all funded by the same body.

All the best to Tiger G, and any others fighting this terrible beast.

As someone who was a cancer researcher until recently (moved on to a different medical field), I would like to encourage people here to make a donation to research (any field you like). It is unbelievably expensive, and many projects peer-reviewed as worthy of being funded don't happen due to lack of money.

Basic research in particular generally gives the biggest 'bang-for-buck', but because there is no obvious translational aspect at the beginning, these projects tend to be the most unpopular as perceived by the general public/non-scientists, including the government. A person very close to me was given no hope until an almost half-century long basic research project culminated in a clinical trial that is now routinely done.

When the government talks about cutting funding to projects such as those with no apparent benefit to society (e.g. humanities/arts), this also means cutting back basic scientific research, as they are all funded by the same body.

All the best to Tiger G, and any others fighting this terrible beast.

Thank you and everyone for your kind words. I contacted the Qld Institute of medical research and they haven't done any research on my type of cancer, my big guess is no funds. Think my Doctors had to go by overseas statistics. My surgeon had a lot experience in this scenario by working and studying overseas. Bringing his expertise to Australia. My oncologist wasn't going to offer me chemo going by overseas stats, but i'm glad I aleast tried and took chemo.

Best wishes Tiger G.

Had a friend go through chemo and radiotherapy for inoperable pharyngeal cancer. Was having both at the same time for awhile. He's comparatively young so they gave him fairly high doses. It took it's toll but he is now in remission. It's six months since the last treatment and it's only now he's starting to feel his old self again.

All the best to you Tiger G!
Such a horrible prick of a thing. My Dad has been fighting it for a few years now, but only recently needed to have some aggressive chemo treatment. Not entirely sure on his prognosis, simply because he doesn't like talking about it. I try and get information out of him, he says a few things, downplays it then changes the subject. Still happy, laughing, drinking, planning holidays and remaining positive though.

If that wasn't enough, Dad's best mate has also been diagnosed and is currently going through really aggressive treatment, not looking too good for him unfortunately. I suppose they have each other to bounce off but it's really cruel.

A workmate of mine is going through tonsil cancer at the moment and recently finished 5 weeks of chemo, every day, morning and night. Can't even imagine what he was going through. Kept popping into work but looked terrible. His latest checkup was that the tumour in his neck had shrunk almost to nothing, but that it was still there. So at the moment I believe he's tossing up whether to just leave it there, or go for the surgery option which apparently has some major risk behind it as it is in such a difficult area.

I'm going to watch cats acting like humans on youtube now before I get too depressed!!! All the best Tiger G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back