Preview Finals 2014 Discussion: Hawthorn v Geelong, 7.50pm Fri Sept 5th, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't wait for this. Going to be a ball tearer. I think Hawthorn are the better side. But you know it doesn't matter when these teams meet. Hope to see a cracker with my team coming out on top, and for the love of God no contentious umpiring decisions either way at the death. I don't think the BigFooty servers can cope

A year ago the difference was less than a goal.

We've had an interesting chat on our board as to whether we are a better side this year or not. Losing Franklin, Rioli out, Mitchell still finding his form, but hodge and Lewis in much better form, depth players performing.

Would you say Geelong is a better or worse team this year?

Honestly and my opinion I believe our team at it's best can play at a higher level but the Hawks have been much much more consistent with a higher average this year in particular. You could argue Norf and Freo's best is up there also but they are not considered born to win finalists.

Last edited:
The fact that everyone rates us as favourites is a massive troll IMO. Geelong match up very well against Hawthorn (as evidence in their fantastic recent record against us). This is a 50/50 at best for Hawthorn and a massive achievement if we get over the line. I hope for a fair game (no diving!) and a fair result.

Oh and ...... Go the Mighty Hawks!

I don't think we'll win it this year and I think the Hawks can take the Swans (and I've never believed in Freo despite the media hype earlier this year and all the last). If we play at our best and come out of nowhere then I'd say we'd win it but I just don't see us exploding into the form we need to with our current niggling issues.

We haven't replaced any players... we're still very well in limbo like the last 2 years merely dragging it out wasting time hoping it's enough to pull a lucky flag.. those young players haven't stepped up enough yet (which is already a bad sign). Either they step up next year or we turtle and hold together like glue as we have the past 2yrs, effectively wasting 3yrs. Or they do step up and we become an incredible force once again. They can't drag it out forever, either in 2015/16 those young players will have either stepped up or failed and that'll decide whether we as a club drop significantly or stay in top 4 competition.

Last edited:
Puopolo ducks, it's fairly obvious. That aspect aside he's a very good small forward though. Leads the competition in score assists, tackles inside 50 and pressure acts.
Yep he's a good little player. Quite like him.

You know, there's something weird about this thread. Everyone is being ridiculously polite by the standards of a Cats/Hawks discussion.

Theory: fans on both sides are crapping themselves too much to get cocky about this one.

It's a genuine 50/50 game that'll kill the loser's chance of a premiership. Of course most rationale people are terrified.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that everyone rates us as favourites is a massive troll IMO. Geelong match up very well against Hawthorn (as evidence in their fantastic recent record against us). This is a 50/50 at best for Hawthorn and a massive achievement if we get over the line. I hope for a fair game (no diving!) and a fair result.

Oh and ...... Go the Mighty Hawks!

I agree. Can't stand the diving. But have to remember that the hawks as good as anyone in the diving department...puopolo, lewis, hodge just to name a few. Oh, and that Franklin big dive a couple of years ago against the cats in an attempt to get a free kick in the last few seconds...worse than bartel and should have been cited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Can't stand the diving. But have to remember that the hawks as good as anyone in the diving department...puopolo, lewis, hodge just to name a few. Oh, and that Franklin big dive a couple of years ago against the cats in an attempt to get a free kick in the last few seconds...worse than bartel and should have been cited.

I don't think you'll find too many Hawks fans defending Franklin's diving when he was with us. You kind of felt for him a bit because he got a pretty raw deal from the umps considering the way he was manhandled by defenders and ended up with twice as many frees against as frees for.

I wouldn't say Puopolo is a diver, he certainly slips tackles into his neck in the same way that Selwood/Shuey do but I've never seen him dive forward or go down holding his face.

I don't think Bartel's dive was that bad, shouldn't have been a free-kick but Full-Forwards do that every week. The dives that are the worst are the ones like Jarrad Waite where he's blatantly fabricating the contact.

I really hate when a player gives up the play in favour of petitioning for a free kick (eg. Goodes, and Franklin when he was at Hawthorn drove me crazy).

No-one can deny Puopolo and Selwood shrug tackles looking for high contact but if there's no whistle they at least continue to play the ball.

I really hate when a player gives up the play in favour of petitioning for a free kick (eg. Goodes, and Franklin when he was at Hawthorn drove me crazy).

No-one can deny Puopolo and Selwood shrug tackles looking for high contact but if there's no whistle they at least continue to play the ball.
Would love you to speak loudly and clearly on the main board about this... you are spot on. Selwood and Puopolo don't play for free kicks... they seek to shrug off tackles in order to dispose of the ball, but have mastered the art of doing so in a way that increases the chances of a free kick. If they don't get it, they continue on anyway.

Another year, another Hawthorn v Geelong final to attend. It's becoming a tradition.
It's a genuine 50/50 game that'll kill the loser's chance of a premiership. Of course most rationale people are terrified.

The benefits of winning this are huge. A week off and a guaranteed home PF with the prospect of Sydney of Fremantle away on the other side of the draw. I don't see the team that loses this game getting past that prelim. Plus 2 weeks rest for Johnson and Cyril will be invaluable. It's little wonder that we're all excramenting ourselves.

When will people understand that Puopolo doesn't dive, he gets frees for high contact but he continues on as if he isn't going to get them. The same can be said for Selwood, its not diving when they continue as if nothing happened, it's diving when they play for the free kick...like Lewis and Bartel. At least Lewis had the balls to admit he took a dive though

If the Hawks get up I hope someone in our chearsquad has made a banner that says 'Mission Accomplished'.

Probably best to avoid that. Could easily be confused with this:

35521.jpg

When will people understand that Puopolo doesn't dive, he gets frees for high contact but he continues on as if he isn't going to get them. The same can be said for Selwood, its not diving when they continue as if nothing happened, it's diving when they play for the free kick...like Lewis and Bartel. At least Lewis had the balls to admit he took a dive though

Hawks fans are going to turn on you my friend. Selwood is a massive cheat in Hawthorn supporters minds. Saying something along the lines that you just said will get you a ban on the Hawks page. Funny thing is 2 weeks ago Puopolo got a text book shrug the shoulder high free against Enright and a lot of Hawks fans cheered. Selwood was taken high later in the game and Hawks fans booed him. I know its not all Hawks supporters that carry on like this , but gee a lot of them are A grade fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back