Preview Finals 2014 Discussion: Sydney v Fremantle, 2.45pm Sat Sept 6th, ANZ Stadium

Bulldocker

Nov 22, 2010
WB,Claremont,Seahawks,Canucks
I found a new "must watch" player this year - Luke Parker. The kid is a fair dinkum star. Scratching my head trying to work out how he isn't in the AA best forty. We need to contain him every bit as much as the Swannies need to curb the Fyfernator. Only guy I can see as a possible matchup is Mzungu. The GPS would be off the dial keeping up with those two together.
Crowls will go to Jack. Hanners and Hill might both be given a bit of freedom to run.
Noted with interest that Morabito was rested completely for the second half of his WAFL game last week. Don't be surprised to see his name pop up on selection night. The likening of him to Goodesy when he was first drafted may just get put to the test on Saturday.
Everything ok for us until I try to find coverage for the Swans triple towers. Of course, if the ball is continually tumbling into the Ballas/Walters web at the other end, we may just find a way to snag the win.
Much respect for the Swans. Should be a ripper game either way.

I found a new "must watch" player this year - Luke Parker. The kid is a fair dinkum star. Scratching my head trying to work out how he isn't in the AA best forty. We need to contain him every bit as much as the Swannies need to curb the Fyfernator. Only guy I can see as a possible matchup is Mzungu. The GPS would be off the dial keeping up with those two together.
Crowls will go to Jack. Hanners and Hill might both be given a bit of freedom to run.
Noted with interest that Morabito was rested completely for the second half of his WAFL game last week. Don't be surprised to see his name pop up on selection night. The likening of him to Goodesy when he was first drafted may just get put to the test on Saturday.
Everything ok for us until I try to find coverage for the Swans triple towers. Of course, if the ball is continually tumbling into the Ballas/Walters web at the other end, we may just find a way to snag the win.
Much respect for the Swans. Should be a ripper game either way.
Parker did make the AA Squad this year

TripleB

Mar 26, 2008
Sorry Freo. Brett Rosebury umpiring your game. Never seen him do anything but give Sydney a free ride in games.

Free kicks 21-10 to the Hawks in the 2012 GF would suggest otherwise, although I'll admit most came from Matt Stevic, a fair dinkum paid up Hawthorn member if there was ever one.

I can't disagree more with you tho. Watching every game gives you some idea about which umpires seem to give you a fair run. I'm sure you have an opinion on umps which stitch up Essendon.

It may be the case that somehow you have gained that opinion on Rosebury and Sydney, but believe me, I do not share your opinion at all. I do hope you are proven correct this week tho :)

Apr 7, 2012
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
The AFL have said they will fix the surface before the game this weekend.

I'm sorry but the surface has been s**t for 12 years.

The best both teams can hope for is the pools of water are on the outside of the boundary, players don't sink into the turf and if we're really, really lucky nobody goes up for a specky and winds up with a career ending injury after landing on a 1 foot steel peg.

I'd love freo playing there to suddenly make the ground fit for footy, but if Collingwood can't manage to kick up enough of stink to make the ground suitable no one can.

clogged

10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
You can't fix up a patchy surface within a week. The problem is that it is on reclaimed land which means there are probably soil issues that prevent the grass from growing properly. That and the fact it is multipurpose therefore doesn't get time to recover.

TripleB

Mar 26, 2008
In fairness, the ground is ALWAYS 1000% better when they have a week to prepare it without the need to reconfigure the ground as rectangular. Not saying it's a good surface, but always much better than it was last week with an NRL game a few days before.

Hopefully we will find the surface much better this week, although it will still look shitty and patchworky. The rain again all week won't help them, although it has been pretty windy as well, so may help to dry it out.

The AFL really need to stand up and tell ANZ that if they want the AFL to continue using the ground, they need to guarantee that the ground will be left in oval configuration for at least a week prior to the games to give ground staff a chance to prepare a decent, safe surface. If the NRL want to play in that week, let them play, but the ground needs to stay in oval configuration and the NRL fans, all couple of thousand of them, will just need to watch the game from 20m further back.

Apr 7, 2012
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!

Darcy 2 Fyfe

Sep 20, 2011
Yallingup
West Perth
In fairness, the ground is ALWAYS 1000% better when they have a week to prepare it without the need to reconfigure the ground as rectangular. Not saying it's a good surface, but always much better than it was last week with an NRL game a few days before.

Hopefully we will find the surface much better this week, although it will still look shitty and patchworky. The rain again all week won't help them, although it has been pretty windy as well, so may help to dry it out.

The AFL really need to stand up and tell ANZ that if they want the AFL to continue using the ground, they need to guarantee that the ground will be left in oval configuration for at least a week prior to the games to give ground staff a chance to prepare a decent, safe surface. If the NRL want to play in that week, let them play, but the ground needs to stay in oval configuration and the NRL fans, all couple of thousand of them, will just need to watch the game from 20m further back.

If we didn't win last year at Simmonds Stadium I reckon the AFL would have moved it to Redfern or Cabramatta.

Sep 11, 2008
Man Utd
Worth a read :D

http://titusoreily.com/afl-anz-stadium-surface-sort-safe/

AFL Football Operations Manager Mark Evans said he thought the chances of players getting injured were ‘high, but not really, really high.’

“We say we take player safety very seriously and we’re committed to continue saying that,” said Mr Evans.

“That’s why we are taking immediate steps to make the surface sort of safe for the Sydney-Fremantle game.

“I’ve spoken to both clubs and assured them the surface would be safe-ish by Saturday.”

Swans Coach John Longmire said the proposed works on the ground made him a bit less worried.

TripleB

Mar 26, 2008
Couldn't they just draw up the lines off centre and have all 8,000 sit on the same side?

It's an option, but the problem is not the part of the ground where they play the NRL game, the corridor in our game, but the wings where the stands move in and out which require returfing along the runners/tracks. We need to keep traffic off that area, so best to leave the NRL field where it is.

Actually, you would not be able to move it as much as you'd expect, as the in-goal areas would run into issues with the non-moving stands adjacent to the race. The field would be too long to fit into the space created by rolling back the stand.

PAFC_1870

10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Smash em Freo!

Can't help but think that this is about the worst game possible for WCE fans, unless it's on GF Day...

How could you possibly cheer either haha

Wolfgang West

Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
Can't help but think that this is about the worst game possible for WCE fans, unless it's on GF Day...

How could you possibly cheer either haha

As posted earlier, definition of cringe worthy is West Coast Supporters blowing smoke up Freo's RRRRs. But I guess if you are not playing in September and have been accustomed to it your standards drop and you embarrass your self by becoming a cheer leader for a superior side that is playing in the finals. People with second teams for what ever the reason are weak of character.

clogged

10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
As posted earlier, definition of cringe worthy is West Coast Supporters blowing smoke up Freo's RRRRs. But I guess if you are not playing in September and have be accustomed to it your standards drop and you embarrass your self by becoming a cheer leader for a superior side that is playing in the finals. People with second teams for what ever the reason are weak of character.
I think you're giving them even more reason.

VolgaBoatman

Apr 4, 2008
Claremont Tigers
It's an option, but the problem is not the part of the ground where they play the NRL game, the corridor in our game, but the wings where the stands move in and out which require returfing along the runners/tracks. We need to keep traffic off that area, so best to leave the NRL field where it is.

Actually, you would not be able to move it as much as you'd expect, as the in-goal areas would run into issues with the non-moving stands adjacent to the race. The field would be too long to fit into the space created by rolling back the stand.
From what I've heard the worst part is where the NRL benches / support staff are located on game day, as they walk up and down the sidelines.

Dusky

Sep 11, 2006
As posted earlier, definition of cringe worthy is West Coast Supporters blowing smoke up Freo's RRRRs. But I guess if you are not playing in September and have be accustomed to it your standards drop and you embarrass your self by becoming a cheer leader for a superior side that is playing in the finals. People with second teams for what ever the reason are weak of character.

It's not about blowing smoke up Freos arse, its just our utter hatred towards your club in general.