Finals schedule week one

Remove this Banner Ad

No way

When you can get 90,000 people to hawks v Geelong game at the MCG why would you start the finals with a 40,000 final

The afl will want to maximise dollars .......

Plus this leaves freo with two six days breaks in a row

Play Saturday arvo for freo v swans ....2.10 start ....est

Plus freo will get 2000 fans come over .......they would want it to be Saturday arvo ...so they can travel back Sunday ......

Play port on Saturday night in front of 52,000

With all due respect the game of least interest is north v Esendon so play that Sunday 2.10 start at the MCG

Plus the afl prefers the two MCG finals to be spread as far apart as possible ...that's why we will see Friday night hawks v Geelong then Sunday for ese v north
its Port v Tiges on sunday, South Australian footy has been shafted again. New stadium, most fans, lets throw the state the sunday game

Would be rubbing it in if the weather here in Adelaide would be dry on Saturday but wet on Sunday. And we'd better bloody not get more Sunday home games next season, especially given our 4 highest home crowds were on Friday & Saturday (a twilight & 2 night games.

Of course the MCG should get the best timeslots, it's the home of the finals! The AFL also have to preference the AFL Members and official Finals Series Ticket holders to the premium timeslot games. Interstate games get the leftover timeslots, deal with it...

I'm happy freo play Saturday arvo

They are my second team when eagles out so will enjoy watching them pump the cola boys

I can understand the Friday night game being hawks v Geelong 85,000 -90k

...downside for cats

Six day break ...older team

Reckon hawks would have loved the fact it's Friday night ...7 day break ....

Hawks will win easily

Toss of coin freo v swans ....freo will come with a fresh Fyfe and rested Mcpharlin.

Buddy will,be rested up.

Can't wait for week 1 even though my boys lucked out still going to be cracker of finals series

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That makes a certain logic, but at the same time, Geelong is the only team in the top 8 to get a six day break first week of the finals. Just seems, strange to me that a team that finished third would be disadvantaged like that.
Who cares really.

Would be rubbing it in if the weather here in Adelaide would be dry on Saturday but wet on Sunday. And we'd better bloody not get more Sunday home games next season, especially given our 4 highest home crowds were on Friday & Saturday (a twilight & 2 night games.

could you please do everyone a favour and ban yourself from the mainboard on port gamedays?

Back in the old days when the Eagles played finals you must have had lots of funny lines about coke and COLA?
Lol we used meth and ketamine not coke

Lol I stiring about cola mate ....

Freo will come with big heat next week ......

I reckon your whole premiership campaign is on the line next week

Win next week and I reckon flag is just about yours ....lose and it's just about gone ...

Going to be a cracker next week I reckon

The qualifying finals are played first, the elimination finals are played afterwards.

With cats-hawks on the Friday, their following-week opponents match was going to play Saturday night as that will be the Friday night semi the following week and ensures the Qualifying loser has a longer break (~24hrs).

With the other qualifying match on the Saturday day, once again, their following-week opponents match was going to play on the Sunday day as that will be the Saturday night semi the following week and ensures the Qualifying loser has a longer break (~24hrs)

Swans set for a Saturday night prelim if we win next week. I do hope the Hawks fans will stop their incessant carping about the 2012 prelims now.

@AFL_PKeane: AFL consulted Swans, as 1st-ranked side, & Swans advised wished for consideration to being scheduled on Saturday, to ensure a 7-day break.

its Port v Tiges on sunday, South Australian footy has been shafted again. New stadium, most fans, lets throw the state the sunday game

It's unfair for the loser of a Qualifying Final to have a Sunday game because they'll be put at a disadvantage in the Semi's despite finishing higher than their opponent because they'll be coming off a 6 day break. The higher you finish the more the system should reward you. So:

• Freo tend to have day finals where possible so they can get back to Perth, so there's your Sat arvo slot filled.
  • Winner of North vs. Ess plays loser of Haw vs. Geel, so if North vs. Ess was played on a Sunday they'd only have a 5 day break vs. Haw/Geel's 7 day break, so that's the other Sat slot filled.
  • Haw vs. Geel on Sunday would give the loser a 5 day break, obviously undermining the advantage of finishing top 4 and seeing them not being rewarded with an adequate finals schedule for the trouble. Plus it'll be the highest drawing match, so for all those reasons Fri night is the logical choice.

Hence Port vs. Richmond on Sunday is the only option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back