Finals schedule

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL has always scheduled the two Qualifying Finals first since 2011. Followed by the two Elimination Finals after that. It makes things a lot cleaner that way I reckon.

I also think this might be a good chance for the AFL to try a double header on the Saturday. No doubt Seven would be in favour of that.

WEEK 1
Friday 8:10pm - West Coast v Hawthorn
Saturday 4:10pm - Fremantle v Sydney
Saturday 7:40pm - Richmond v North
Sunday 3:20pm - Western Bulldogs v Adelaide

The thing is I think the guys that run Subi would want about a 24 hr turn around time between games, which is why I think both games will be in the night slots. No big deal for MCG/Etihad when they go from a night game to a day game the next day all the time, but I think the precedent has already been set for the non Vic grounds when it comes to finals (Footy Park in 2003, Subi in 2006).

The finals this year look awesome, Some of the match ups look great.

Freo - Struggling but finals atmosphere in front of that crowd will get em up and going
Eagles - Form team of the comp score for fun
Hawks - Are the Hawthorn football club
Swans - Not in tremendous form but some big ins over the next 2 weeks will help
Tigers - beaten the contenders and in great touch at the right time
Dogs - Fast and hungry kids that want to eat footy's
North - Starting to fire on all cylinders, Teams will want to avoid
Adelaide - Better than Geelong for mine and have some serious stars who love the big stage

No easy games for mine.

Well if Geelong beat the pies (which they will) and we lose to the eagles.. its curtains cos we never win in Geelong.. haven't won there in 12 years. its make or break this weekend.

Whilst unlikely the Pies won't beat the cats you just never know in Footy, i bet most pundits wouldn't have picked the saints against the cats and they drew with them . Eagles will be a very hard match but your playing at home and playing some good footy so i reckon you can get up for a win I'm def picking the crows. As they say its not over to the fat lady picks up her order at Maccas and KFC and starts singing :)

Only three realistic scanarios.

If Richmond win
Fri WCE v Hawks
Sat 4.40 Dogs v Crows Etihad
Sat 8.10 Freo v Swans
Sun 3.10 Tigers v North MCG

North win, Crows win
Fri WCE v Hawks
Sat 4.40 Crows v Tigers
Sat 8.10 Freo v Swans
Sun 3.10 Dogs v North MCG

North win, Crows lose
Fri WCE v Hawks
Sat 4.40 Tigers v North MCG
Sat 8.10 Freo v Swans
Sun 3.10 Dogs v Crows Etihad

So Etihad is a lock for the dogs if they play the Crows?
I would have thought cos there are 2 games in perth that weekend the AFL would want to use the MCG as much as they can?

Expect the two QFs to be:
Freo vs Sydney
WCE vs Hawks

I figured the WC vs Hawks game would be Friday night and Freo vs Sydney would be Sat arvo (allowing Sydney to fly home after the game). The problem is that the last flight from Perth to Sydney leaves at 4ish in the afternoon due to the airport curfew. Maybe that's what you get when you finish fourth...

Sorry I meant Freo v Swans. my mistake
You realise it's being played in Perth, right? There's this little thing called different time zones which enable the away team to fly out on the night after the game in Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WC v Hawks Friday night
6 v 7 Saturday Arvo
Freo v Syd Saturday Night
5 v 8 Sunday Arvo

That works the best for all involved.

Loser WC/Hawks get the Friday night week 2
Loser Freo/Syd get the Sat night week 2.

Maybe it would be dictated based on TV then? Because wouldn't C7 want Richmond-Dogs (or Richmond-North etc) on Sat night for Victorian viewers over Freo-Swans?

Will be interesting if Richmond lose to North, it will give Adelaide ammunition to beat Geelong and get a home final

If Richmond wins then lock them into 5th playing North again, meaning if we beat Brisbane with no disrespect to Brisbane, I'd expect the Dogs to win, we'd play Adelaide. If we beat Adelaide as that would be on a Saturday you'd think, then we would get a Friday night game finally against Hawthorn or WCE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back