Finals Week 1 scheduling

Remove this Banner Ad

The Friday night game is interesting. It's usually one of the QF's to kick off the finals, however with the top 4 all playing on Saturday in round 23, it's unlikely the AFL would send Hawthorn or Sydney to Perth on a Friday night off a 6 day break, right?

So North versus either Richmond (who both play on the Fri night in round 23) or Bulldogs (who play Lions at Gabba on Sat night in round 23) seems the likely scenario for the Friday night.
I reckon Freo v Sydney would be the Friday night. Yes, its a 6 day break but its six days for both, and Freo will be coming off a long trip themselves so the shortened break is evened up a bit.
Depending on results still:
Fremantle v Sydney, Friday night
5th v 8th, Saturday afternoon
West Coast v Hawthorn, Saturday night
6th v 7th, Sunday afternoon

From my understanding, we do not have a contract with stadium Australia. The AFL forced us to sign one that had all finals games plus 3 games a year at stadium Australia. That contract has ended. Therefore we have signed with the SCG to play all home games at the SCG.

As we do not have a forced contract with stadium Australia, I assume it will be our clubs choice where to play finals. (In Melbourne, the AFL has certain contracts with each stadium and has control over finals ground due to contract obligations with the MCG and revenue).

ie. Stadium Australia has no AFL contract anymore. There are no obligations to play a game there, and the AFL cant force us to play away from our home ground for a final.

The AFL can play where they like for a final, they don't need any club to sign a contract.

The AFL can play where they like for a final, they don't need any club to sign a contract.

If the NRL who have a contract with stadium Australia, have a game on the night (Like last year), the AFL cant play at the ground. If it is pre-booked by another sport, the AFL has no power. It is not an AFL stadium, and the NRL play there all year.

So the AFL dont, but they wont be able to get the ground.

The MCG for example, the AFL has exclusive rights during the AFL season. The MCG has to go into discussions with the AFL if the wont to have something there during the season.

Stadium Australia is its own entity, like I have said with an NRL contract but no AFL contract.

Do you want Swans finals games to be chosen by when the can fit in between NRL games, or what is fair for the AFL?

closing sentence, stadium Australia is not an AFL ground in Australia. from 2017 it will have no contract. therefore it would be like the AFL playing a brisbane final at lang park (Suncorp Stadium) because they just feel like it

In terms of Geelong, the AFL have a contract with the MCG. The AFL also has a contract with Docklands. In sydney, from 2017, the AFL has no contract with Stadium Australia. Therefore they do not have rights to the stadium, or for games to be prioritised over the NRL. The NRL have a contract, so they are not going to move around games.

Last year, the AFL stuffed over the hawks because they couldnt get stadium Australia when we were meant to play, and would not let us play at the SCG. If they try and pull that again, it wont fly with the rest of the competition.

Effectively the NRL has rights to Stadium Australia, and I would be surprised if we were forced to play there again.

So the scenarios are completely different from Geelong/MCG as the MCG has an AFL contract.

Theres nothing to prevent the AFL from signing a new contract at Stadium Australia. The point is, the Swans contract doesnt cover finals. Its the province of the league not the clubs.

If the NRL who have a contract with stadium Australia, have a game on the night (Like last year), the AFL cant play at the ground. If it is pre-booked by another sport, the AFL has no power. It is not an AFL stadium, and the NRL play there all year.

The MCG for example, the AFL has exclusive rights during the AFL season. The MCG has to go into discussions with the AFL if the wont to have something there during the season.

Stadium Australia is its own entity, like I have said with an NRL contract but no AFL contract.

Do you want Swans finals games to be chosen by when the can fit in between NRL games, or what is fair for the AFL?

closing sentence, stadium Australia is not an AFL ground in Australia. from 2017 it will have no contract. therefore it would be like the AFL playing a brisbane final at lang park (Suncorp Stadium) because they just feel like it

That's all great, but there's nothing stopping the AFL signing another contract with ANZ stadium if they so wished.

They won't, but it's not because they can't.

The AFL doesnt have exclusive rights to any ground outside of Victoria for finals - and its guarantees in Victoria are either based on a centuriy old tradition that guarantees the sport access to the end of september (and enshrined in its contract) or due to its arrangements at Docklands. See Subiaco and Rugby Tests.

Stadium Australia will still be oval shaped and still AFL capable unless its modified, in which case the whole question is moot.

Unlikely, but Sydney could still finish 2nd.

Does next Fridays Richmond/North game have any significance or will they both potentially rest players?
The winner will claim it has significance (or at least the fans on BF will). The losing fans will claim the opposite. It carries momentum and confidence, especially if one side gets smashed and they face each other the next week.
But really, the losing side is more likely to adjust the game plan, make changes, etc, I don't see it has a lot of significance. Even if one game is one-sided two fairly evenly matched sides would start again with 22 players and 0.0(0) on the board.

Theres nothing to prevent the AFL from signing a new contract at Stadium Australia. The point is, the Swans contract doesnt cover finals. Its the province of the league not the clubs.

But Stadium Australia, has an NRL contract. like in my previous post, like last year should the swans get advantages over every other team in the comp (or who are in finals) because the NRL has the ground booked for when we should play?

I can see the AFL forcing the issue and forcing us to play there, but they will make us even more hated, because they dont have control over when the stadium is available.

With the push into the Sydney market, it would be a fatal flaw to arrange the finals around when the Swans can play there.

In addition, previously stadium Australia knew AFL finals would be played there, guaranteed. so they worked with the NRL to have some availability. with no contract, I reckon that stadium australia would do anything for NRL as they pay the rent.

anyway, this thread is getting off topic. my bad. these are my views so hey.

I reckon Freo v Sydney would be the Friday night. Yes, its a 6 day break but its six days for both, and Freo will be coming off a long trip themselves so the shortened break is evened up a bit.
Depending on results still:
Fremantle v Sydney, Friday night
5th v 8th, Saturday afternoon
West Coast v Hawthorn, Saturday night
6th v 7th, Sunday afternoon

Unfortunately that doesn't work with the need for winner of 1 v 4 to have their Prelim on the Friday night.

So it will be:
Fri: 2v3
Sat: 1v4, 6v7
Sun: 5v8

The AFL doesnt have exclusive rights to any ground outside of Victoria for finals

They do actually. In most states, for the "cricket grounds" the AFL comp form that region (SANFL,WAFL & the AFL teams) have contracts with the stadium. So the AFL in finals can schedule an AFL final game there, on any day of the weekend.

Not the case with stadium australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They do actually. In most states, for the "cricket grounds" the AFL comp form that region (SANFL,WAFL & the AFL teams) have contracts with the stadium. So the AFL in finals can schedule an AFL final game there, on any day of the weekend.

Not the case with stadium australia.

They have a contract to host finals when and if they occur. Its not a fixed contract and can be superseded by the state as has happened in Perth on several occasions. Stadium Australia still has this contract with the AFL until next year. its important to note that in most places except Sydney, there is no other viable location for an AFL final.

Last year Hawks were f'd over because the AFL force us to play finals at stadium Australia. Rugby League had the ground booked for the time the AFL required us to play and they (the AFL) refused to let us use the SCG. From 2017 we will only play at the SCG :)
That was in 2012 when we finished 1st and ended up with a Saturday twilight prelim.

They will back themselves to beat anyone. They could send the Hawks to the prelim v Hawks.

Damn, just when I thought we'd put ourselves in the box seat vs the Hawks they've found a way to engineer an unloseable prelim.

I've figured it out and were ****ed. So if we beat north next week we have to play them again, and we won't beat north two times in a row so we're being plowed in the ass with that set up. Or we lose to north next week and have to play Adelaide in Adelaide which will probably end up with them plowing us in the ass.
I might just end it all, we've been plowed for the 3rd straight year

Freo play in Adelaide this Saturday. As the top team they wont be given a 6 day break into their first final. So they get Saturday afternoon to allow Sydney to fly back that night. Its what the AFL did last year if i recall with the reverse fixture.

That means West Coast vs Hawthorn on the Friday night.
Winner plays 6th vs 7th on the following Friday night who play the Saturday night.

Loser of Freo vs Sydney plays winner of 5th vs 8th who play on the Sunday.

2 V 3 Fri Night
1 V 4 Sat Arvo
6 v 7 Sat Night
5 v 8 Sun Arvo

Freo play in Adelaide this Saturday. As the top team they wont be given a 6 day break into their first final. So they get Saturday afternoon to allow Sydney to fly back that night. Its what the AFL did last year if i recall with the reverse fixture.

That means West Coast vs Hawthorn on the Friday night.
Winner plays 6th vs 7th on the following Friday night who play the Saturday night.

Loser of Freo vs Sydney plays winner of 5th vs 8th who play on the Sunday.

2 V 3 Fri Night
1 V 4 Sat Arvo
6 v 7 Sat Night
5 v 8 Sun Arvo
I think the only question is whether 1 v 4 should be Saturday night in prime time.

If the ladder remains as is:

Friday Night- West Coast v Hawthorn (2 v 3)
Sat Arvo- Bulldogs v Adelaide (6 v 7)
Sat Night- Fremantle v Sydney (1 v 4)
Sunday Arvo- Richmond v North (5 v 8)

-The SF involving the loser of WC/Hawks will be played the following Friday night. Fronting up after a 6 day turnaround and a trip to Perth would be quite physically taxing for the Hawks (in the event they lose), so it makes sense to play their final in the Friday slot.

-Etihad requests their finals to be played at night (Dogs v Crows will be held there). However, the afternoon slot is inconvenient for the Swans due to the Sydney airport curfew (they'd be waiting around in Perth all day), so their final is best held at night. This would then allow the Crows to return to Adelaide that same night, therefore benefiting both teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back