Finals week 1 tips and crowd expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn vs. Geelong - 1 point (79k)
Sydney vs. Fremantle - 17 points (41k)
North Melbourne vs. Essendon - 22 points (62k)
Port Adelaide vs. Richmond - 51 points (capacity)

Hawthorn vs Geelong 8 points (84,000)

Sydney vs Fremantle 14 points (48,000)

North Melbourne vs Essendon 13 points (81,000)

Port Adelaide vs Richmond 3 points (53,000)
Thanks for tipping us. But as I have blood pressure issues please send a wreath as I suspect I won't make it to another 3 point win.

Hawthorn vs Geelong 38 points (75,000)

Sydney vs Fremantle 26 points (45,000)

North Melbourne vs Essendon 9 points (65,000)

Port Adelaide vs Richmond 20 points (155,000)

I've had a change of mind, i think momentum is an incredible thing in football and i have been reading and listening to some of my Richmond loving friends extol the virtues of their team all morning....so it's the Tigers, Adelaide is about to burst at the seams this week....

Last edited:

So what you're saying is that the Rd 22 Hawthorn V Geelong game will be better attended than the QF because of a few stats from 1970s...?

:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Yes, although I wouldn't word it in the straw-man way you just did.

Plenty of finals games have drawn lower than home and away games.

I remember Essendon v Geelong drawing 87,000 in 1989 in the home and away, and getting 75,000 in the first week of the finals.

The Hawthorn-Sydney crowd of 72,000 was higher than the 59,000 who saw them meet in last years Qualifying Final.

Higher ticket prices often contribute to this.

Yeah, but most finals attendees have pre-bought tickets, so I don't think weather affects the crowd (other than for MCC members)

It is one of the few games the MCC nearly fill to capacity though, the prelim final last year it was completely full and they were putting them in Southern Stand

Hawthorn to beat Geelong by 3 points. 71,000
Fremantle to beat Sydney by 11 points. 38,500
Essendon to beat North by 28 points. 43,000
Richmond to beat Port by 17 points. 50,000

It's just a prediction mate.
I know, don't really care if it's right or wrong. I'm not sure it will get above 80k either, there are usually less Geelong supporters for a Friday night game. Weather will always have an affect on the MCC turnout though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks v Geelong 83,000 hawks by 45 points ...six day break for Geelong. No Stevie j or jabbed Stevie j
Swans v Freo at ANZ 45,000 ...freo by 10'points, anywhere anytime ...
Ess v Roos MCG Roos 25 ....good hard pressure team. Essendon flakey.
Port v Tigers at Ao port by 5 goals ....hoe town crowd makes big difference in finals

The Hawthorn Geelong Qualifying Final in 2011 drew 73,000

Three years on, with some neutrals getting a little tired of the same two teams, I don't think it will crack 70,000.
It was ridiculous to play Hawks v Cats Rnd 22. two games in a fortnight is overkill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back