Opinion Finals - Who Do You Want To Play and Where

GFrost

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
If we do play Hawthorn week one of finals, and in the event that we lose, can someone volunteer to gather all posts from Hawks supporters from the last six years that stated our Qualifying Final victory in 2011 didn't count as a "game that matters" because it wasn't a "knockout final".... Just in case they are needed :p

I'm having difficulty imagining past week one... I haven't even contemplated which team from the bottom half of the eight I'd prefer to play if we had to play a semi.

Aug 17, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
If we do play Hawthorn week one of finals, and in the event that we lose, can someone volunteer to gather all posts from Hawks supporters from the last six years that stated our Qualifying Final victory in 2011 didn't count as a "game that matters" because it wasn't a "knockout final".... Just in case they are needed :p

I'm having difficulty imagining past week one... I haven't even contemplated which team from the bottom half of the eight I'd prefer to play if we had to play a semi.
Pretty confident we can take care of any of the teams in the bottom half of the 8 if it came to it. However, this would be meaningless, because unless we can win the QF and earn an MCG PF, then it's all over red rover.

I'm pretty sure you'll find these posts dont even exist in the first place. I've found that that game has been conveniently wiped from all Hawthorn supporter's memories. :rolleyes:

walhawk

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2007
Box Hill
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill, Storm
Wouldn't it be extraordinary if we finished 1st with our percentage :D

Jumped on the predictor, was really tempted to give the Tigers the win in Sydney but decided against it. Here's how I see the first week of finals
Friday Night - Geelong (2nd) V Hawthorn (3rd)
Saturday arvo - North Melbourne (5th) V West Coast (8th)
Saturday night - Sydney (1st) v Freo (4th)
Sunday - Port Adelaide (6th) V Essendon (7th)

Is it possible that if the above matches are correct we could play on a Sunday since at least one team in every other game has to travel, in order to give that team as much as rest as possible between week 1 and 2 of finals? Did something like that happening in 07 when we played North on a Sunday arvo?
Switch the North and Port games and you have the likely Week 1 fixture.

Jun 9, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
I see a lot of people putting Freo in their preferred finals set up. Personally I'd prefer Freo to go out in straight sets and play whoever upsets them in the semi. Maybe someone like North or Essendon. I'm still not convinced we can beat Freo in a final or at least not as confident as against others.

You could say we need to beat the best in finals, but after a few years of earlier finals exits I'll take the easiest run thanks.

speedybundy

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I see a lot of people putting Freo in their preferred finals set up. Personally I'd prefer Freo to go out in straight sets and play whoever upsets them in the semi. Maybe someone like North or Essendon. I'm still not convinced we can beat Freo in a final or at least not as confident as against others.

You could say we need to beat the best in finals, but after a few years of earlier finals exits I'll take the easiest run thanks.
Aside from playing Port first week of finals (which is still I'd say a 15% chance) the team I'd currently most like to play is Hawthorn. Not Freo for the reasons above and can't see us playing Sydney in anywhere but Sydney which I'll pass on. This weekend will obviously tell us a lot more about Hawthorn and how we match up, but I'm hoping they've spent a few too many petrol tickets covering injuries throughout the year and may not hit finals at peak fitness like Sydney and Freo are and we certainly should be.

The best case scenario I see is we get Port first week of finals, Hawthorn lose to Sydney and then lose to North the following week. We get North in the prelim and hopefully continue on from there. That's absolute best case scenario, can't really see it happening but you never know.

Cheshire Cat

Cancelled
May 31, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, Red Sox, Celtics
Pretty confident we can take care of any of the teams in the bottom half of the 8 if it came to it. However, this would be meaningless, because unless we can win the QF and earn an MCG PF, then it's all over red rover.

Lose week 1 and we are in real danger of straight sets exit - our 2013 team was superior to this one and they were nearly knocked out 2 sets.
I'm worried our luck will run out at the wrong time.

bigfarter

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Given Round 23 sees Hawthorn play on Friday night and Geelong play on Saturday night, I'd be hoping our final isn't scheduled for the following Friday. Should be the Saturday arvo or evening, to ensure Geelong don't have a six-day break versus a seven-day break for the Hawks. I know Chris Scott says six-day breaks are overrated but I still think it would be a little unfair, especially if we finish above them on the ladder. That being said, there's no way they'll put us on in the afternoon, due to TV ratings. They could play Sydney vs. Freo on Friday night with both teams on six-day breaks. So they're equally disadvantaged.

As for week two if we lose, who cares? No way we're winning a premiership if we have to play an interstate prelim against a rested Sydney/Fremantle.

Lose week 1 and we are in real danger of straight sets exit - our 2013 team was superior to this one and they were nearly knocked out 2 sets.

Open to debate I think.

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers

I'd suggest not to be worried and just enjoy it :p The Cats being a top 4 team again is ridiculous and they should be envied. Since the Sydney loss this team has won 9 of it's last 10. They are sitting second on the ladder an in it up to their eyeballs. They have beaten both Hawthorn and Fremantle this year and haven't dropped a game in Victoria. Worst case scenario is a bunch of kids get at least 2 games finals experience. I pretty much would have taken that at the start of the year as I didn't expect them to be a premiership chance. Fact is, they are.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey guys.

I was curious as to which match-up Geelong fans would prefer.
- Sydney @ ANZ: you've matched up well on us historically and I see 110 as a bit of an anomaly.
- Hawthorn @ MCG: recent rivals who you know you have good games against, but is at the MCG

thanks.

Hey guys.

- Sydney @ ANZ: you've matched up well on us historically and I see 110 as a bit of an anomaly.
- Hawthorn @ MCG: recent rivals who you know you have good games against, but is at the MCG

thanks.

With all due respect, that is not even question. I get what you are asking but Hawks @ MCG by a mile. Or a 100.

No travel and we are a better match up against Hawks. We still, well at least I do, have a bitter tang after the SCG mess but 2 x 6 day breaks and travel did not help us. It was a smashing regardless of circumstance for sure.

I could even see it being a Cats /Swans Gf potentially. Would be belter too but I am getting a bit far ahead….

Much to so before then.

GO CAtters

Hey guys.

thanks.

Hey vonn. :)

Bolded bit- I bloody hope so!

And yeah MCG >>>> interstate travel any day.

Good luck in September -but not too much :mad::p-

Pleeeease dont ever say those words again- the SS- major flashbacks to 1997. If that happens I will be in the foetal position for the remainder of September. :(

Cheshire Cat

Cancelled
May 31, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Alternatively, we've just won more. I'd take four 5-point wins over three 50-point wins any day.

We haven't won more (yet) - if we win our remaining games we'll have the same winning record (albeit with inferior %)

If we make it past a prelim I'll happily eat my words

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
We haven't won more (yet) - if we win our remaining games we'll have the same winning record (albeit with inferior %)

If we make it past a prelim I'll happily eat my words

Wouldn't count on it :). I think they'll match it. But did you really plan on top 4 let alone winning the flag back at the start of the year?

Cheshire Cat

Cancelled
May 31, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Wouldn't count on it :). I think they'll match it. But did you really plan on top 4 let alone winning the flag back at the start of the year?

Nothing to do with expectations (they have been exceeded definitely) my point is we are more vulnerable in finals this year than last (based on form). If we win a final I'll be happy to be honest. Anything else is a bonus

Cheshire Cat

Cancelled
May 31, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Don't disagree entirely. I thought we looked a little shaky last year as well to be honest. After the bye they had a few losses and a couple of scrappy wins. I see more upside this year with great experience for younger guys. I don't see Hawks or Freo as any stronger than last year. Sydney are.

Sydney would be favourite but only just - Hawthorn or Freo could easily take them. We'd have a bit of work to do to reverse '110' but its possible

Back