Competition FIRA 2016 Hub Thread

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I feel like if I tell people to submit me 3 guernseys they'll submit me 3 guernseys because they want to be a part of this league and they appreciate the fact that qualifying is cutthroat and brutal.

Ultimately this league is deliberately difficult and a Care Bears league where everyone wins every week can maybe be floated in the competitions thread if people feel hard done by.
Why not just have home kits tho

(Also chasing up late entries is never fun and I have no interest in doing it)
Yeah so have the qualifiers then have the league proper run like 3 weeks later so everyone will have their kits in. Anyone who gives a s**t will qualify and will be there to put the rest of their entry in (aka 1 kit)

Everyone does their entries like 24 hours before the due date anyway.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Why not just have home kits tho

Because I want people to take some pride in their team and some ownership of their team and it's overall branding, not just bang together a quick kit and chuck it in. 3 kits isn't much by recent standards at all.

Yeah so have the qualifiers then have the league proper run like 3 weeks later so everyone will have their kits in. Anyone who gives a s**t will qualify and will be there to put the rest of their entry in (aka 1 kit)

Everyone does their entries like 24 hours before the due date anyway.

If you'd ever run a competition, you'd laugh at the first sentence here. Someone will always disappear and not put their kits in. Even with months and months of notice I had people scrambling to get kits in, and they only did so because I enforced my hard deadline with an iron fist.

3 kits isn't much. Once you've decided on the overall branding of your team and figured out your home kit, the other 2 never take that long.

Also, I have an outlet for people who don't want to put the time in in the form of cup only entries. The league isn't for people who just want to quickly knock up a kit and submit it, it's for people who put some effort in.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
If you'd ever run a competition, you'd laugh at the first sentence here. Someone will always disappear and not put their kits in. Even with months and months of notice I had people scrambling to get kits in, and they only did so because I enforced my hard deadline with an iron fist.

3 kits isn't much. Once you've decided on the overall branding of your team and figured out your home kit, the other 2 never take that long.

Also, I have an outlet for people who don't want to put the time in in the form of cup only entries. The league isn't for people who just want to quickly knock up a kit and submit it, it's for people who put some effort in.
Yeah dude that was my point. Most people will still wait til as close as possible to the date to make and put in their entries so having months and months or just 3 weeks won't make a difference.

I mean now you got a bunch of people with a set of kits they want to use with nowhere to use them. I mean, tough s**t, but it could be avoided kinda.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Yeah dude that was my point. Most people will still wait til as close as possible to the date to make and put in their entries so having months and months or just 3 weeks won't make a difference.

I mean now you got a bunch of people with a set of kits they want to use with nowhere to use them. I mean, tough s**t, but it could be avoided kinda.

They have used them. As part of their league entry.

If they don't want to make 3 kits they are more than welcome to just enter the cup and everyone is happy.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
south-park-s15e11c11-bro-down-16x9.jpg

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Look i'm not really comfortable with my poster of the year badge being cut off in your photoshops to push your anti-Scorcho agenda

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Everybody knew the deal when they designed for this. Everyone knew there was going to be qualifiers with a low number of final entries in what is an increasingly high standard of competition and you might not make the cut, but everybody made their three kits anyway because they wanted to be part of it. There should be no complaining.

The kits haven't been wasted, either. The home was used in competition, it just wasn't a long competition. The cup is also being used in competition - again, it may not be a long one if you are eliminated early, but you're still in it with a chance to win it. Its only the away that might be seen as "wasted", but it was stated from the start that "your home is everything" so most of the energy should have been directed towards that. Perhaps one minor change I'd make to qualifying for next season is that we vote on all-in-ones to see who makes the league. That way, you're voting on the entire image of the club and maximum effort in all kits is required. And then in the league, it reverts to a normal home-and-away structure.

In any case, if you haven't made the cut and/or are eliminated early in the cup, it should just spur you on to continue pushing the boundaries in developing your design skills.

alex 3549

Team Captain
Apr 15, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As someone who went nowhere near making the FIRA League I feel like I am in a good position to make a comment as to the current structure of the competition.

And.

I love it.

We see the best of the best up against each other each and every week and there is more to learn from not making a league than getting dusted by 10-20 votes every week. The Cup is run like the FFA Cup and I'm hoping that we see a similar sort of system where there is a guarantee of a non-League side make the semis.

My only criticism with these sort of leagues (NAFL etc.) is that the aim of this board should be trying to make every designer better, and I think that shorter competitions are the way to go, so that people can get feedback and change to see how they are progressing with a concept, rather than face getting smoked every week.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Alrighty people, feedback of the failed entries please

Cardiff%20City%20Home%20V2_zpsearxpmai.png
Cardiff%20City%20Away2_zpsdcq2rhoe.png
Probably could have done with a logo or monogram under the yoke where it's somewhat bare.

Oh and you should make a template that would be interesting. Maybe mix up your presentation though I know you're loyal to your own look.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Designwise, there is nothing I can really fault. I really liked your home. If I had to be super critical, i'd say that your home both has too many features while also having no real defining feature. There is too much going on without there really being anything that catches the eye and makes it stand out.

Freshen up your presentation. You've used the same or very similar fonts/backgrounds/whatever for a long time and that staleness has probably cost you a league spot. I know you're probably going for long term consistency, but fresh ideas and presentation are often rewarded in these comps.

ADT50

Senior List
Oct 23, 2014
MILDURA
AFL Club
Collingwood

I reckon they're finished really great. Love the texture in the blue part.
Agree with scorch that it kind of needs something else. Maybe if those stripes weren't on the side panels, but instead had 3 stripes across chest with the C monogram in the middle like your logo, would've been enough to elevate it to not only make the FIRA, but be one of the better ones in the comp.

Back