Opinion First Captain under Walsh?

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading through this thread, still don't know what the gripe is with how the captaincy thing has been handled.

I guess some are so used to polished scripted rubbish from the old guard that they are confused when they see genuine leadership.

Just for the record, my gripe is with VB not the club. Just my opinion based on pure speculation and my own little conspiracy theory.

That's one way to look at it. The other way is that VB has little awareness as to where he's at as a footballer. Whether you like it or not, this is a very rare event, most ex-captains have the good sense to see the writing on the wall and accept it's time to stand aside. That's the team first thing to do and VB failed in that regard.

We won't agree, you think this is a normal event that just requires a bit of concrete. I reckon VB's a selfish turd and should have given the new captain the clear air that they deserve.

What an absolute load of bullshit calling VB a selfish turd.

The guy is a brilliant leader and is very highly regarded within the player group. He would be filthy with losing the captaincy and has every right to be upset about it. He was the best choice for the role in 2011 when he took over the captaincy and would do a great job of the role if he kept the captaincy in 2014.

Why would it be the team first thing to stand aside? What if the playing group and coaches wanted him to keep going?

I'm a conspiracy theorist, not moon landing/martin Bryant stuff, but I like to read into things a bit. There's a chance, however small, that VB isn't the perfect team first person that he is described as. He may have been told that it's highly likely he wouldn't be captaining in 2015 and offered the opportunity to resign citing quite reasonable factors - returning from injury, 2013 not the best year so concentrating on own game, generational change with outstanding candidates, still a leader etc. Those factors are not 'spin', they are real and relevant to VB's ability to captain the team, potentially from the 2's. Maybe VB refused to resign the position forcing the issue to be handled in the way it was. I would find it hard to believe that it wasn't clear to Walsh etc that VB wasn't going to captain in 2015 and wasn't afforded the opportunity to step down sometime before Xmas.

And what in the world is wrong for wanting to fight for the captaincy. In fact thats the #1 trait a captain should have. They should believe in themselves and want to be the man in charge.

I think it's unfathomable that if vB had been given the message that he would not have fallen on his sword. Consummate club man.

Notwithstanding whether it was the correct choice, you'd be hard pressed to suggest that we couldn't have handled the decision better. 'Man conversation' or not.

The decision was handled perfectly for what the club wanted to achieve.

What an absolute load of bullshit calling VB a selfish turd.

The guy is a brilliant leader and is very highly regarded within the player group. He would be filthy with losing the captaincy and has every right to be upset about it. He was the best choice for the role in 2011 when he took over the captaincy and would do a great job of the role if he kept the captaincy in 2014.

Why would it be the team first thing to stand aside? What if the playing group and coaches wanted him to keep going?

Well, the coaches didn't. How many other captains have hung on to the role until being forcibly removed. How many of them would have ignored the nudge or mis-judged their position as a footballer. He hasn't been removed because he wasn't a decent captain, he's been removed because there's risk surrounding his ability to be guaranteed a spit if fit. No different to nearly every other captain that stands aside in their 30's. Because he's never been a brilliant footballer combined with his injury, it's hit him about a year or 2 earlier than most.

Regarding the player regard, big deal. They also highly regarded the other blokes in the leadership group. Trigg was highly regarded by our board, but none of them had seen the best end of the spectrum, so they're not really the best judges. His time was up and he ignored the opportunity to do the team thing and stand aside.

No one likes to see their mates sacked or demoted, that's one of the primary reasons why Tex's ascension hasn't purely been a joyous occasion. VB could have spared all of those feelings by being a little more realistic about where he sits in a football sense.

But you're right, forcing the club to demote you is the strong and team-orientated way to go. I wonder why the past premiership captains have all done it differently. Oh, that's right, they're weak and put self before team.

And what in the world is wrong for wanting to fight for the captaincy. In fact thats the #1 trait a captain should have. They should believe in themselves and want to be the man in charge.

They should also have the common sense to know when their time is nearing the end. Not as a leader, but as a footballer. You don't stop leading, but as captain you must acknowledge where you are at as a certain best 21 footballer and the critical importance of your spot in the team being beyond doubt. All ageing captains over the last couple of decades have realised this, VB hasn't, he's the isolated incident, the outlier. He's different to all the other captains in this regard. Is it likely that VB bucking decades long tradition somehow elevates him above his peers. I doubt it, but at Adelaide we've always been able to rationalise best practice standards against lack of achievement somehow. So why would this be any different.

Well, the coaches didn't. How many other captains have hung on to the role until being forcibly removed. How many of them would have ignored the nudge or mis-judged their position as a footballer. He hasn't been removed because he wasn't a decent captain, he's been removed because there's risk surrounding his ability to be guaranteed a spit if fit. No different to nearly every other captain that stands aside in their 30's. Because he's never been a brilliant footballer combined with his injury, it's hit him about a year or 2 earlier than most.

We both agree with why he has been removed.

I just think its ridiculous to expect a 28 year old guy who had played 160 of the last 173 before a freak accident ruled him out of a season to doubt his footballing ability and the ability to lead his team mates. He has the confidence back in his body (he is tearing down the training track as per usual) and has not lost the respect of the group.

Regarding the player regard, big deal. They also highly regarded the other blokes in the leadership group. Trigg was highly regarded by our board, but none of them had seen the best end of the spectrum, so they're not really the best judges. His time was up and he ignored the opportunity to do the team thing and stand aside.

I would say how a player group rates the leaders that they voted is a huge deal. Massive deal.

No one likes to see their mates sacked or demoted, that's one of the primary reasons why Tex's ascension hasn't purely been a joyous occasion. VB could have spared all of those feelings by being a little more realistic about where he sits in a football sense.

Whose feelings? The only one with any real right to be pissed off about him not being Captain is Nathan Van Berlo. Some might disagree with who should be Captain - but that would happen regardless of whether he stepped down or was forced out.

But you're right, forcing the club to demote you is the strong and team-orientated way to go. I wonder why the past premiership captains have all done it differently. Oh, that's right, they're weak and put self before team.

I am not sure which premiership captains you are talking about? Since 2001 there have been 10 AFL premiership captains. 1 of these is still playing as Captain (Hodge). 2 are part of the rotating Sydney captaincy (McVeigh/Hall). 4 of these gave up the captaincy due to retirement (Voss,Harley, Maxwell, Ling). Mitchell gave up his captaincy because there was inhouse and public talk that he wasn't a good captain and Hodge was much more suited.

The only 2 premiership captains who did what you wanted Van Berlo to do were Warren Tredrea and Chris Judd.

Also - I think the way it went down is 100% the way the club wanted it to go down. This was another chance for Fagan to illustrate another example of the changing culture down at west lakes.

They should also have the common sense to know when their time is nearing the end. Not as a leader, but as a footballer. You don't stop leading, but as captain you must acknowledge where you are at as a certain best 21 footballer and the critical importance of your spot in the team being beyond doubt. All ageing captains over the last couple of decades have realised this, VB hasn't, he's the isolated incident, the outlier. He's different to all the other captains in this regard. Is it likely that VB bucking decades long tradition somehow elevates him above his peers. I doubt it, but at Adelaide we've always been able to rationalise best practice standards against lack of achievement somehow. So why would this be any different.

VB has been in our best 22 since 2006 - missing only 13 games out of a possible 173 before his freak injury.

If he is fit (which it appears he is) he is an absolute walk up starter. If in doubt that VB is a walk up starter - remember - Brodie Martin played 17 games for us last year.

VB has been in our best 22 since 2006 - missing only 13 games out of a possible 173 before his freak injury.

If he is fit (which it appears he is) he is an absolute walk up starter. If in doubt that VB is a walk up starter - remember - Brodie Martin played 17 games for us last year.

At this point VB will start in our best 22 however the gold pass luxury has been removed and another season where his performances has him positiined 16th in our B&F will put his position at risk

AFC979810 , yeh meant including. Including our flags in chrono. Order - Bicks, hird, tredders, Mitchell, maxwell. So in about 20 years, over a quarter have stood aside and kept playing. 2 retired after winning a gf and Judd went along a different path. But maybe Judd can be counted, because he is a premiership captain and he did have the good sense to stand aside for Murphy.

Look, I agree with what the club has done, whether it was tex, danger or sloane. But are you suggesting this is the preferred way for a captain to finish their tenure. Or just a once off at our club due to our re-birth as what seems to be a football club.

At this point VB will start in our best 22 however the gold pass luxury has been removed and another season where his performances has him positiined 16th in our B&F will put his position at risk

Gold pass? C'mon man - you really don't believe that do you.

Just curious though. How can his gold pass have been removed if he is playing rd 1? The guy hasn't kicked a football in anger in about 18 months.

Unless of course you think that Phil Walsh rates him an automatic best 22 player even though the last information he has to go by is his dismal form of 2013. If he was that bad in 2013 combined with missing an entire year of football in 2014 - surely he would be forced to work his way back into the side through the SANFL (no excuses now he isn't the captain).

AFC979810
Look, I agree with what the club has done, whether it was tex, danger or sloane. But are you suggesting this is the preferred way for a captain to finish their tenure. Or just a once off at our club due to our re-birth as what seems to be a football club.

Its absolutely a one off.

Its the preferred way for the AFC because it is part of our spin.

Those captains you mentioned gave it up on their terms. I would expect VB to do the same if he thought the time was right. I just agree with VB's decision to fight for the captaincy. I think VB still has another year or two of very good football in him.

Reading through this thread, still don't know what the gripe is with how the captaincy thing has been handled.

I guess some are so used to polished scripted rubbish from the old guard that they are confused when they see genuine leadership.

I don't get it either.

VB missed the entire season, we had other Captains.

Walsh made it very clear that he was leaning towards a new Captain - it was obvious to us, it would've been obvious to VB as well (and I've got no doubt it was discussed).

I dont rate VB hugely as a footballer, but he's a class act as an individual - I think the people suggesting he was dumped or treated poorly need to get a grip; and are severely underestimating VB to think he'd be so petulant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did we ever hear anything much about his recovery? Was he back fully running, jumping and kicking by the end of the season?

Also was surprised we didn't hear more from him throughout the year in the media. He speaks better than pretty much any player in the league. He would have owned those guest commentary stints compared to blokes like Montagna. Missed a chance to raise his profile (and ours).

Was he in the box on game days?
Pretty sure he was in the box on home gamedays and went to all/most of the reserves games as well. I saw him at the few I went to last year.

This thing was handled well by all
involved. New captain, old captain, new coach.

The fact that it was more overdue than a Davoren Park electricity bill is neither here nor there. That's not really the fault of any of the parties involved now.
When re route the power it's hard to work out who's using what.;)

Gold pass? C'mon man - you really don't believe that do you.

Just curious though. How can his gold pass have been removed if he is playing rd 1? The guy hasn't kicked a football in anger in about 18 months.

Unless of course you think that Phil Walsh rates him an automatic best 22 player even though the last information he has to go by is his dismal form of 2013. If he was that bad in 2013 combined with missing an entire year of football in 2014 - surely he would be forced to work his way back into the side through the SANFL (no excuses now he isn't the captain).
Would like to think he'd be close to having to work his way back through the SANFL side first if everyone on our list remains uninjured. That said, we've also got the pre season games to determine how the like of Van Berlo and some of those other guys that will be fighting for a spot in the side look (Martin, Kerridge, Grigg, Lyons, Atkins, Laird, M.Crouch etc).

It's quite hard for us to make a make a call on that given how locked down we've been this pre season, very little information is getting out on how any of these guys are looking.

Personally, I don't think aussie rules is a sport that even requires a captain. Not at the top level, with so many coaches and runners, the captain really has no special role on the field.

Hence I don't mind who it is. As we can see from the posts in this thread, it seems to have more negatives than positives. Dealing with egos, treating with respect, etc -- none of which has any consistency with a team-first culture.

Grant Thomas would agree with your sentiment, but also came to understand why he was having trouble getting his point across ...

http://wwos.9msn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=319434&showcomments=true

Remove this Banner Ad

Back