Opinion First Captain under Walsh?

Remove this Banner Ad

Both Sloane and Dangerfield are on record praising him as a person and a leader who they both look up to, he must be doing something right if these guys are speaking so fondly of him.

Good post champ.:thumbsu:

No problems at all mate, healthy strong vigorous debates are fine. There is about a handful of posters that are sad and miserable and enjoy having arguments, I dont at all even in the slightest consider you to be like that. My life at times can be depressing but I actually enjoy coming in here for a laugh and a banter with posters that love the Club.

I sometimes can come across harshly, that wasnt at all my intention with you. We disagree with each other which is fine, your sticking to your guns and me to mine. I do respect your thoughts and I dont entirely disagree with all the valid points you make either. To be honest, I did feel a bit sad for Sando being sacked because I was still living in 2012 dream time and did initially disagree with the Club's decision.

It will be interesting to see which direction the Club takes for the captain in 2015. Dont rule out Talia as a smokey to be captain.

I suspect these 'drastic changes at the club' are a convenient way of you extracting yourself from the increasingly untenable position you got yourself into in support of vB's captaincy.

amiright?

I suspect that given your performances over the years (I blame this person, despite having not watched the game) I'll pay no mind as to whether you suspect something or not.

So what happens if VB is not good enough to make it into the 22 or his form drops off during the year having been out of the game for 16-18 months and at the age of 28-29? I think Kedge has VB covered as a tagger easily too.
I've heard that Walsh is not a fan of the tagging role. Does anyone know what his reasons are? Both vb and kedge may need to tweak their games to suit

That's something that will be identified during pre season training. If he's not capable, then you don't give him the captaincy, which I also wrote in my comment and was not included in what you quoted me as saying. I'm cut from the cloth that doesn't dismiss someone when they're cut down during their prime from something out of their control. He hasn't become less of a leader over the last year, you don't replace that unless you have to.

I have no problems with the captaincy being given to someone else, but if they do it because Van Berlo missed a year of footy, I would be gutted because that would be doing it for entirely the wrong reasons. I think back to my football days and the captain I used to look up to as an inspiration. His abilities declined over the years when he was on the wrong side of 35, but his ability to inspire didn't stop, we won more games of football from him being out there with us, even though he wasn't making much of an impact anymore, plus, we would sometimes lose games we shouldn't have when he was on the sideline injured. His ability to lead superseded his ability as a player . It's for that reason that I don't dismiss our current captain so quickly and I definitely don't think we should change captains because we have the 'chance' to do so.

What happens if it all goes to s**t and he can't make the team?, then you put your vice captain(s) in charge. They did the job this year and will do the job next year if it happens. But I would never make a decision of changing captains based on such a speculative scenario of 'what if'. Van Berlo would have to be showing he's not up to scratch on the training track for me to give the captaincy off to someone else.

Again, as I said in my original quote, this is my 2 cents, I'm not trying to convince people to change their perspective. I'm just saying this is what I would do.
interesting points here. I wonder what exactly Walsh is referring to when he says the captain must make an impact on the ground. People have forgotten the work that vb would do to protect our more talented onballers . We sorely missed that this year. I have a feeling that Walsh may rate vbs one per centers highly.vb may get one more year I think.

VB isn't good enough to get a game in our defence

Dangerfield, Sloane, thompson, douglas, crouch, mackay and smith are ahead of him for midfield, so he is fighting for a spot with wright, m Crouch, kerridge, grigg, lyons for 2 or 3 spots, and he isn't a certain best 22 based on that

Should be a leader, but not the captain in 2015

Douglas will captain this team next year with Sloane and Danger vice... pencil it in
Only eraser mark might rub out Danger on the vice
Maybe when Neil Craig was around. He loved Richard Craig. Sando loved Sloane (with good reason). I wonder who Walsh will love? Talia?

Walsh's criteria are that the captain has to be someone who can get the job done on the field, and is totally committed to the team. Also Walsh will pick the captain although the players will pick the leadership group.

On that criteria, there is no hope of VB being re-elected as captain, because there is no way he can demonstrate prior to the season proper that he can get the job done on the field. I'm a VB fan and think that he has been an A grade skipper, but he doesn't meet the standards as laid down by Walsh - although through no fault of his own.

To me the logical choice is Dangerfield, as he is undoubtedly our best player. However it would seem to me that unless Patrick commits to the club prior to the choice of captain, then he is making it impossible for Walsh to appoint him as captain as he has not unreservedly committed to the team while his future with us still has question marks over it.

On that basis the one man that currently meets all the criteria in lumps is Rory Sloane, although if Dangerfield has signed by then he becomes the man to lead us.

Patrick unsigned - Rory Sloane captain

Patrick signed - Patrick Dangerfield captain
If danger is made captain he won't leave. He is no griffen!

Danger will stay imo.

Let Sloane & danger go 1:1 for 21 hard ball contests - winner takes the spoils...

I've heard that Walsh is not a fan of the tagging role. Does anyone know what his reasons are? Both vb and kedge may need to tweak their games to suit
Not a fan of pure tagging but will have run-with players.

VB isn't good enough to get a game in our defence

Dangerfield, Sloane, thompson, douglas, crouch, mackay and smith are ahead of him for midfield, so he is fighting for a spot with wright, m Crouch, kerridge, grigg, lyons for 2 or 3 spots, and he isn't a certain best 22 based on that

Should be a leader, but not the captain in 2015
Going to plenty of posts from you when vb is settled in the backline.

Good news is lynchy is due for an injury-free year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sold you can tell right from left, let alone wrong.

I mean, you're actually contesting that there have been drastic changes at the club. :D
You're reaching now, aren't you? It's unusual to see you scrambling like this.

It's OK. Go with it. I genuinely admire your persistence to the cause. If it were me in your position, I'd be clinging to the recent changes at the club as an escape clause from your previous position also.

I understand completely.

You're reaching now, aren't you? It's unusual to see you scrambling like this.

It's OK. Go with it. I genuinely admire your persistence to the cause. If it were me in your position, I'd be clinging to the recent changes at the club as an escape clause from your previous position also.

I understand completely.

Which of my previous positions has changed?

That you can even bring yourself to entertain the notion that vB might not captain represents a significant change in your stance.

I think you've known for a while that vB is not our best option for Captain, but you're pride and /or blind devotion to the man has precluded you from acknowledging this.

Recent events at the club probably represent the best opportunity you're going to have to extricate yourself from this position that you've found yourself in, and you're running with it.
Again, don't feel bad. I completely understand.

Going to plenty of posts from you when vb is settled in the backline.

Good news is lynchy is due for an injury-free year

"Going to plenty of posts"?

Jaensch Talia Brown/laird
Smith Hartigan Henderson

add cheney/shaw/reily/

VB will not see any backline time, he can't defend, isn't a good kick and cannot run and carry

Is lynch injuries relevant to VB?

Last edited:
I think VB's Captaincy hangs on what the club's prognosis is after his leg injury last year. I think it's just about universally acknowledged by everyone at the club - players, coaches, management - that he's the best leader that the club has. He's got that side of things squared away easily. 2013 was the worst season (performance-wise) of his career, having been ruined by Sando getting the pre-season horribly, horribly wrong. 2014 was a complete non-event. His performances up to & including 2012 were just fine - he was a solid contributor to the team as a player, as his results in the B&F voting attests.

The big question is whether the club thinks he can return to the form he showed from 2005-2012, or whether they think that his 2014 leg injury will eventually mean curtains for his career. There really isn't any middle ground here. Either he's playing to his potential, as Captain, or he's out of the team.

I don't have any answers to those questions. We haven't seen him play at any level since the training accident and we don't know what the prognosis is (though we do know he was initially expected to start playing in August - and didn't). I think the club will get a better idea of where he's at once the pre-season starts in earnest, particularly the intra-club and MMC matches. I suspect they'll give him as long as possible to prove his fitness, given that he's the club's #1 leader by the length of the Flemington Straight.

If VB doesn't get the nod, then my vote goes to Sloane, regardless of Dangerfield's contract situation.

the one man that currently meets all the criteria in lumps is Rory Sloane, although if Dangerfield has signed by then he becomes the man to lead us.

Patrick unsigned - Rory Sloane captain

Patrick signed - Patrick Dangerfield captain

Makes no sense. Sloane and Danger have exactly the same contract status.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Makes no sense. Sloane and Danger have exactly the same contract status.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

I disagree with you re their commitment level.. Sloane has openly committed to re-sign with the club, has bought a house here and his parents have moved here to live to be near their son.

Danger on the other hand repeatedly says he will make his mind up at some later date as to whether he will re-sign or not.

Yes, on a legal contract basis right this minute you are correct. However their level of commitment - which was the criterion as mentioned by Walsh as one of the pre-requisites of being captain - totally differs from each other at present in favour of Sloane.

Personally, I would like to see Dangerfield be our skipper for the next few years, and wish that he would also openly commit to give him that chance. But at the moment, he doesn't qualify under Walsh's criterion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back