Opinion First Captain under Walsh?

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree with you re their commitment level.. Sloane has openly committed to re-sign with the club, has bought a house here and his parents have moved here to live to be near their son.

Danger on the other hand repeatedly says he will make his mind up at some later date as to whether he will re-sign or not.

Yes, on a legal contract basis right this minute you are correct. However their level of commitment - which was the criterion as mentioned by Walsh as one of the pre-requisites of being captain - totally differs from each other at present in favour of Sloane.

Personally, I would like to see Dangerfield be our skipper for the next few years, and wish that he would also openly commit to give him that chance. But at the moment, he doesn't qualify under Walsh's criterion.

What if Danger shocks us and signs a new contract in December? Oh with us of course. :p

What if Danger shocks us and signs a new contract in December? Oh with us of course. :p

If that was the case, I would prefer Dangerfield as the captain with Rory as his Vice-captain.

What we don't know of course, is that given all things being equal, and both have re-signed, who Walsh would prefer as his leader. As he clearly said, HE will appoint the captain :)

Believe it or not there is one or two respectable places on Hindley Street.

I've been to quite a few of them! Also I was jesting!

Care to elaborate, NTR?

He was waiting to cross the road with his girlfriend!

What were you doing there?

Getting pizza from Pizza Rev after the United v Victory game, because Aussie Pizza House was lined up outside the door.

I'm far too unemployed to enjoy the livelier distractions available on that most entertaining of city streets.

“I’m very strong that leaders need to be able to get the job done on game day. That’s the thing I’ll be looking for most in my leaders, that on game day they can play their role and take other people with them.”

Get the job done doesn't say be a game changer.

“I’m very strong that leaders need to be able to get the job done on game day. That’s the thing I’ll be looking for most in my leaders, that on game day they can play their role and take other people with them.”

He's also said he needs the Captain to perform and lead by example.

VB needs to be able to vindicate his 1st 22 quality before he is given then capt duties. He doesnt get enough of the ball, doesnt hurt the opposition and isnt a great stopper. He has no weapons at all and the fact that he might be the most level headed player we has doesnt mean he can be carried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VB needs to be able to vindicate his 1st 22 quality before he is given then capt duties. He doesnt get enough of the ball, doesnt hurt the opposition and isnt a great stopper. He has no weapons at all and the fact that he might be the most level headed player we has doesnt mean he can be carried.

Vindicate to whom?

He seems to be pretty entrenched by all his former coaches & teammates.

Vindicate to whom?

He seems to be pretty entrenched by all his former coaches & teammates.
Not this again. You know where he finished in the B&F in 2013, right next to players that had been dropped during the year.

Not this again. You know where he finished in the B&F in 2013, right next to players that had been dropped during the year.

It's a valid "again", given the discussion about the captaincy.

Is 2013 the only year he's played for us?

It's a valid "again", given the discussion about the captaincy.

Is 2013 the only year he's played for us?
It's his most recent form and now he's 2 years older after having a year off with a serious injury. No one knows how he will come back from that.

It's his most recent form and now he's 2 years older after having a year off with a serious injury. No one knows how he will come back from that.

Everyone says Danger has been playing injured for 2 years, but yet he's still okay to be captain.

How about give someone a chance to start pre-season training before writing them off. He could well come back perfectly.

Doesn't sound like Phil's going to announce the captain on Day 1 of pre-season, so let's wait and see.

Everyone says Danger has been playing injured for 2 years, but yet he's still okay to be captain.

How about give someone a chance to start pre-season training before writing them off. He could well come back perfectly.

Doesn't sound like Phil's going to announce the captain on Day 1 of pre-season, so let's wait and see.
You didn't really bring up Danger as a comparison of on field performance did you? An injured Danger is a still a lock and one of our better more important players.

You didn't really bring up Danger as a comparison of on field performance did you? An injured Danger is a still a lock and one of our better more important players.

I didn't. You want to make the comparision, because it helps you feel better in disparaging VB's contribution.
But it's not just about being a superstar.

As everyone can read into things what they want to hear, I'll quote Walsh again, and tell you what I'm hearing.

Given his thoughts on where Adelaide went wrong in 2014, "I want to find out why the Club was inconsistent this year. What is it that stopped them playing the type of footy they could play for long enough. They’ve showed their best footy is good enough", does that sound like he thinks the co-captains last year didn't take the other people with them? It does to me.

“I’m a believer that you don’t actually rise to the occasion in the heat of battle, you sink to your level of training"
"As a team, the only way to do that is through hard work and elite habits.”

VB is widely regarded as one of our hardest trainers, someone who is meticulous with his preparation. That's not to state Danger/Sloane aren't, but it is a big plus for VB's column too.

Pretty sure it does however say 'don't turn the ball over and/or directly contribute to opposition goals', so he's still in trouble I reckon.

"take other people with them."

That's the part that hurts Van Berlo the most imo. Whilst he's not a match winner in his own right, I believe he can play the role that's assigned to him (although that can be questioned as well) but I don't believe he's one that really inspires the rest of our players to stand up during a game and that part seems to be something Walsh will weigh more heavily when making a decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back