Opinion First Captain under Walsh?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think they should. Tex for me. (I was once a Dangerfield convert, but not now). VB needs to re-assert himself into the game, needs to concentrate on just that.

I am of a similar opinion. I was all for Danger but part of my thinking also revolved around giving Danger the captaincy in a bid to keep him. VB to me isn't aggressive enough. Sloane is a good option but I believe Tex will be a bit of an enforcer for the players around him. Trouble with Tex however is that he does lose control which is not a good thing so whilst I like him as a captain I am a bit concerned about whether he is ready just yet. The man I believe would make a good captain is Brad Crouch but again its too early for him. So I would give it to either Tex or Sloane.

I am of a similar opinion. I was all for Danger but part of my thinking also revolved around giving Danger the captaincy in a bid to keep him. VB to me isn't aggressive enough. Sloane is a good option but I believe Tex will be a bit of an enforcer for the players around him. Trouble with Tex however is that he does lose control which is not a good thing so whilst I like him as a captain I am a bit concerned about whether he is ready just yet. The man I believe would make a good captain is Brad Crouch but again its too early for him. So I would give it to either Tex or Sloane.
I am in a very similar boat.

Like VB as a captain, but the batteries are dying on that one.

Danger became my favourite, for the same reasons as you Brissy - but is he too much flair - too much individual?

Tex as captain sit well with me, but when you need a lift sometimes it's hard to do from the Forward line. Happy for Tex to just lead.

Sloane is a ready made captain for all the reasons we love him. He can lift the team in many ways. He is team-first always. He is loved and respected.

Dare I change my position again? Maybe Sloane is the man ... cannot think of any good arguments against it.

Danger became my favourite, for the same reasons as you Brissy - but is he too much flair - too much individual?

Tex as captain sit well with me, but when you need a lift sometimes it's hard to do from the Forward line. Happy for Tex to just lead.

Sloane is a ready made captain for all the reasons we love him. He can lift the team in many ways.

To me VB represents the on-field version of our Admin over the last half-dozen years. Despite our actual performance and his own personal ok on-field results, everything is amazing and it's all happening behind the scenes where only those in the know and worthy can see it. I don't care what the admin, players or coaches say publicly because if reality was the exact opposite, we'd still hear exactly the same.

For mine we have a very unique situation. We have 2 absolutely exceptional candidates in Danger & Sloane and 2 more just behind them in Tails and Tex. If it was me I'd be eliminating Tails first. As back-line general, you're always working on positioning and ensuring the rest of the defensive unit are in the right spots as well. I don't think there's going to be much on-ground off time for Tails going forward where he can concentrate on anything other than his backline group. That leaves the 3 of our best half dozen players, the 3 most marketable and inspirational on the field. And ignoring public utterances, childhood dreams and relocating parents, 3 players all out of contract at the end of next season.

I think a captain needs to put team/club first and commit heavily. Captaincy should not be used as a retainment tool, but those that don't commit cannot be captain. I think it may come down to contracts. And if there's no movement there, then we might see VB go around again or Tails jump the other 3, which I wouldn't really like.

expertise

What about the spell checks. Most programmes are set to US spelling and slowly the spelling of words like expertise come up as expertize.
Heh heh. Don't know about your example, but most 'ise' words are correctly spelled 'ize' in English.

Mostly you are right though, too much US spelling in the auto checkers.

Sloane is a ready made captain for all the reasons we love him. He can lift the team in many ways. He is team-first always. He is loved and respected.

Dare I change my position again? Maybe Sloane is the man ... cannot think of any good arguments against it.
Agree with this.

I was initially in the Danger for captain camp, but I'm starting to sway towards Tex.

Dangerfield definitely has the tools to make a great leader, but I think the captaincy clashes too much with his personality. I think he cares way too much about his own performance to really encapsulate the 'team-first' mentality we need from the captain. VC for me.

As for Sloane. He really is our clubs heart on the field. Bleeds for the club and would be first in line to jump under the bus for a teammate. I think his only downfall is possibly his ability to convince his teammates to do the same.

I reckon that's why its Tex. All the players (young and old) look to Tex. He's the go to man, and commands respect from his peers. Always has the team at heart, and wouldn't be afraid to look his teammates in the eye and ask for the same. I honestly think he'd flourish in the role, on field actions can amount to more than possessions gained in the centre.

When I think of good captains I think of players like Hodge and Roo. The type of captains who when they speak, people listen.

I think a captain needs to put team/club first and commit heavily. Captaincy should not be used as a retainment tool, but those that don't commit cannot be captain. I think it may come down to contracts. And if there's no movement there, then we might see VB go around again or Tails jump the other 3, which I wouldn't really like.[/QUOTE]

I like this part of your summary. I just get the feeling that Danger is in limbo with his decision as to where he will play after 2015. This raises some concern for me however if he comes out and commits for the next 5 years then I would see that as the type of commitment that Captain needs to give.

Well I guess any questions on whether VB will make it back based on fitness levels after his injury have been put to rest by his 2km trial results.

Only hurdle left is football form.

Still reckon it will be VB for the next year or two and then Sloaney or Danger or Tex after that.

Why are people so opposed to Talia as captain over the other big 3 may I ask?

I for one, am a big fan of backline generals captaining the club. When everything has gone wrong further up the field and you're relying on your very last line of defence and they pull through, it's such an inspiration/game changer I find. Following soccer closely, I've seen many in this scenario. Being a United fan, Vidic was immense and lets not forget big names like Terry, Puyol, plus the almighty Italians in Maldini and Cannavaro.

I really don't think our sport is that much different. We have already seen great captains from the backline in Glass, Hodge, Maxwell and I could go on. Given that Talia is just so elite in winning his 1v1's and providing an ever strong backbone to our team, I think he would serve as a great captain. His professionalism and good nature would hold him in good stead off the field as well.

In saying that, Sloane would be my next bet. Tex as many have said is the spiritual leader of the club and should be left at that. Cant really argue against Sloane, but I just question his ability to really influence the rest of our team in big games given he has no real standout attribute. Great gun runner and tackler, but is it enough in terms of on the field?

Im not convinced by Danger as captain myself, however if he were to change up his attitude/character a bit then surely he'd be the obvious choice. Right now he comes across as someone that revels being the centre of attention and has a little too much arrogance about him for my liking. In terms of on-field influence though, can you really ask for much more than what Paddy D produces for our team week in and week out?

Well I guess any questions on whether VB will make it back based on fitness levels after his injury have been put to rest by his 2km trial results.

Still reckon it will be VB for the next year or two and then Sloaney or Danger or Tex after that.

My opinion is that 2016 is very unrealistic, however, 2015 isn't too far fetched. Although, if Sloane and Danger follow suit soon, then it might be difficult. Those 3 plus Tails make up 4 of the start up leadership group, add VB and that's 5. I've heard names like Smith, Eddie, Sauce, and B Crouch mentioned. Someone's missing out and I wouldn't be surprised if VB pulls the pin on official leadership in favour of another method. Will be interesting, especially if Sloane and Danger re-sign soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After hearing Walsh on AA I don't think it will be VB.
Or is it making sure that when it is VB, it will be seen that VB has earned it on his merits after a lengthy decision making process rather than us just rolling over the existing structure?

That would be deflating.
Nothing against VB, but all this change is refreshing, keep it going. New era, new CEO, new coach, new captain.
Let VB concentrate on footy.

Bicks from here? Or the contracted Bicks that 'chose' a different career path despite having a year to run? I doubt his opinion will carry a lot of influence with the new regime.

The real Bickley.

I think the fact the senior assistant who dealt with the playing group for 6+ years nominated someone other than the current captain should carry some weight.

Or is it making sure that when it is VB, it will be seen that VB has earned it on his merits after a lengthy decision making process rather than us just rolling over the existing structure?
I don't think Walsh is one for playing silly buggers. That said the way he made a point of saying it will be a board decision and not entirely his was a bit unsettling.

I don't think Walsh is one for playing silly buggers. That said the way he made a point of saying it will be a board decision and not entirely his was a bit unsettling.
He said they'll ratify his suggestion. I highly doubt they'll tell him he can't pick who out of the 6 guys the players nominate into the leadership group

I think the 6 person leadership group selected today was...

1) Dangerfield
2) Sloane
3) Walker
4) Smith
5) Talia
6) Van Berlo

and the captain in 2015 will be Dangerfield

It has to be Sloane.. He is everything a captain should be.. Loved and respected by not only our supporters but also opposition players/ supporters.

The real Bickley.

I think the fact the senior assistant who dealt with the playing group for 6+ years nominated someone other than the current captain should carry some weight.

Would like to agree, but given Bicks' recent stage-managed exit, I'm inclined to ignore his view outright. At least as it pertains to the decision that will be made going forward. He may well be right, but if his opinions were valued in that arena, he'd likely still be there.

I'd be very happy if Sloane was made captain though.

Would like to agree, but given Bicks' recent stage-managed exit, I'm inclined to ignore his view outright. At least as it pertains to the decision that will be made going forward. He may well be right, but if his opinions were valued in that arena, he'd likely still be there.

I'd be very happy if Sloane was made captain though.

His opinion on who should be captain is quite different to how he manages a forward line, which was his main job. He would know the leadership qualities surely, he's a former premiership captain. He's not stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back