Review First Qualifying Final, 2015: Box Hill Hawks v Footscray Bulldogs, 5 September 2015, 2pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back home now. I think Box Hill played very well except for about the first 15 minutes of the first quarter. Willsmore played probably the best game I've seen him play and Simpkin got a lot of the ball. Shem was good and was involved in a few goals apart from the one he kicked. I thought Schoey was quite good without being outstanding. He started down back but seemed to play more forward for most of the game (maybe on a wing...I'm a bit hopeless at exact positions :$ ). Jed flew for a few marks that would have been speccies if he had of taken them. A fairly even performance and no one played a bad game IMO.

Last edited:
Great game to be at. Willsmore with 5 was a very handy target for half the game.

Footscray started off incredibly well and switched on and signs were very ominous at the beginning of the game. They kicked the first 4, then we went on a very decent run and ended up leading at HT by 20 odd. 3rd quarter was goal for goal and the 2 goals in a minute in the end of the 3rd quarter and the starting goals in Q4 blew the game open and that was it.

#32 Simpkin - Nice day from him. 37 Disposals but didn't kick or handball well so bit deceiving.
#34 Heatherley - Not the best day, did a few little errors but fought hard.
#35 Grimley - Regular expected day for Grimmers. Kicked 2 goals 1 behind, 11 disposals, 5 marks. Not a bad day but not a good day either.
#36 Webster - Got injured early on in the game. Seemed like he tweaked a calf or something.
#37 Anderson - Anderson had a bit of a dog day. Few errors and nothing too flashy and not much of the ball, but fought hard and quite a few hard ball gets.
#38 Willsmore - Had a decent day, kicked very well and played his usual up the ground role and assisted a bit. Finished with 18 disposals and 5 goals 1 behind.
#40 Hartung - Fantastic day for Billy. Really is a step above VFL. 30 disposals in the end and had a heap of tackles.
#42 Miles - Not the best game for him, down on his output of disposals and didn't really have a good matchup in defense.
#43 Pittonet - Struggled against Minson but fought hard. Barely any of the ball. Nothing day really.
#61 Whitecross - Great game. In good form now after a really average season. 26 disposals and played real tough.
#63 O' Rourke - Good game from him as well. Gave away a couple of goals when kicking out of defense and I'm still worried about his kicking accuracy. Anyways heaps of in and under work and pressure acts. Finished with 21 disposals.
#65 Schoenmakers - He can't play defense. It's as simple as that. He struggled in the first quarter and gave away easy goals and poor kicks but then went forward and played well. He's got such a nice kicking action it's a shame there's no brain in his head. Ended up with 22 disposals so good effort
#67 Spangher - About what you would expect from Spang. Fought hard and crashed packs. Not a bad day at all.
#70 Ceglar - Did well against Minson and probably had the upper hand up until the last quarter. Ended with 3 goals as well and took an absolutely fantastic contested mark in Q4 right in front of goal.
#73 - O'Brien - Very good day today. Really fought for the ball and went for all contests and took some good marks. Finished with 16 disposals, above his usual output so good day.
#74 Tatupu - Didn't notice him up until the last quarter. Didn't do much and ended with 1 goal 3 behinds from 12 disposals, basically all shots coming in the last quarter.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back