Fitzroy Entities prior to establishment of Fitzroy FC

Remove this Banner Ad

Rich (BB code):
Pre-1883 Fitzroy entities, discovered to date :
============================================================================
Team             64 <8yr gap> 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 | 84 85 86 87 88
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fitzroy prior    F1    ...                F1 F1 F1 F1    F1 F1 |                Go 
Normanby/Fitzroy       ...                               N1 N1 | F2 F2 F2 F2    Go 
Fitzroy Standard       ...    FS FS                            |                Go 
Fitzroy Union          ...    FU    FU FU                      |                Go 
North Fitzroy          ...             NF NF       NF    NF    |       NF       Go 
South Fitzroy          ...             SF                      |                Go 
Fitzroy Alma           ...                   A1 A1 A1          |                Go 
Fitzroy Imperial       ...                   FI FI             | FI FI FI FI FI Go 
Fitzroy Juniors        ...                         FJ FJ FJ    | FJ             Go 
King's College Fitzroy ...                         KC          |                Go 
Fitzroy Alberts        ...                            A2 A2 A2 | A2             Go 
Normanby subseq        ...                                     | N2 N2 N2       Go 
Fitzroy Bohemians      ...                                     | FB             Go 
Fitzroy Excelsior      ...                                     | FE             Go 
Rose of St Marks       ...                                     |             SM Go 
Star of Fitzroy        ...                                     |    SF          Go 
Fitzroy Trades         ...                                     |          FT    Go 
============================================================================

Edited to show only the initial table as an index. Data for each team is now shown in individual threads.

Need to slide the bottom scroll bar to find the links at the right, sorry. Will look into a better format soon.

Last edited:
Re: Football in Fitzroy prior to 1883

Just made the obvious vote there... couldn't think of any other way to go ;)

Yeah fair enough, just take into account though that it is likely none of these clubs were actually the forerunner of the Fitzroy FC that competes today. I could have added Beaumont in there but I'm starting to wonder if I dreamt that bit of info. No amount of research seems to bear it out.

I'm sure I remember hearing of a club (not sure if it was beaumont or not) who was the forerunner to Fitzroy and Fitzroy FC was formed when the other club couldn't obtain 'senior' status from the VFA.

I'm sure Fat Pizza knows the answer

Yep it was ringing a bell for me, but I ignored it until then.

Also there is mention of Brittania FC which was one of Collingwood's earlier forms ... but I think there was some overlap between Collingwood and Fitzroy with that club.

I've come across a "Belmont" in the 1880s, but not a "Beaumont".

We played Rupertswood in the cricket :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sensational thread Mobbs...

Wonder what the jumpers looked like or if it was just rock up in what u got and play...
Well they had colours from the start of VFA 1884 (magenta!) ... I do know that in some early matches players simply wore their colours on an armband. On other occasions it was the colour of the cap.

Just found another Fitzroy team - Star of Fitzroy, played a match in 1885 v one of the many Hawthorn area clubs.

Normanby, because, if it were not for them, we wouldnt have had Fitzroy!

Well, that is the source,... other then that... I have nothing! :D

I'm figuring that a lot of these teams were representative of the various pubs around Fitzroy and North Fitzroy. A few of them have similar names. So, that may also account for some of them having only played a small number of games.

Definitely most likely correct, Stocka. Other clubs in other suburbs offer more evidence for same : Clyde FC played out of Carlton, not down past Cranny. There was a Clyde Hotel in Carlton, in fact, Carlton FC had some of its meetings there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brittania (related to Collingwood) and Normanby (our forefather) were probably pubs, too.

A lot of clubs had "Standard" as part of their name, and I am in two minds as to whether they were based on pubs or newspapers. Sound odd to have a club based on a newspaper? C/f Box Hill Reporter FL ... that's a league based on a newspaper!

So I have quickly scanned through my books on Fitzroy Football Club (I think I have every one that has been published) - anyway, I will note a few interesting things here and in the Normanby thread.

In the book The First One Hundred Seasons - Fitzroy Football Club 1883-1996 (which was put out by the Club itself) they note that football had always been popular in Fitzroy, the area boasted several junior football clubs.

(What they mean by junior though is not what we think - because the book refers to the only senior clubs as being those 6 in the VFA at the time, so junior really meant not in the VFA. That is why I think Normanby is sometimes referred to as Normanby Junior Football Club)

According to the book Fitzroy by Jim Main: Fitzroy was proclaimed a town in 1870, and a city in 1878 (it is noted in some of the other books as being thought of as Melbourne's first suburb). The book also notes there were a number of junior football clubs in Fitzroy prior to the senior Fitzroy Football Club, including:

- Fitzroy Napiers
- Fitzroy Standard
- Rose of Denmark
- and Normanby, which was by far the strongest

Fitzroy Napier and Rose of Denmark are interesting!
Stuff like this intrigues me. Fitzroy Town Hall opened in 1873 and sits right on Napier Street, so you'd assume the club's named after that, as opposed to 'Napier' somehow having a Fitzroy connection in a few ways (ie, some towns'll refer to explorers in street names, building names, and suburbs even though none are related: they're all just in remembrance, separately). I wonder about Rose though. Napier sits right in that quadrant between Brunswick Street and Smith Street, and intersecting Gertrude Street – really old lanes of Melbs. I wonder what all these words refer to.

As a resident and someone into Australian history, this thread and the establishment of the inner north really intrigues me. The fact that there was ever a South and North club is bizarre too, especially even in 2014: with shops, houses, residents, and a bit more of a sprawl, it still is a postage stamp postcode. In fact, even a distinction and rivalry with parts of Collingwood and Carlton, places so close and blurred in my "this is here, that's there" mapping is a bit hard to grasp for a country WA boy.

Gibbsy might find this thread vaguely novel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back