Tim the Toolman

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules
Talking about Last Man Standing on another thread. Can anybody remember things Fitzroy bobbing up in film or TV?

I remember in the very forgettable film Garbo one of the garbo's wore his Fitzroy jumper whilst doing the rounds.

I get the movie mixed up; its either "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" or "Heaven Tonight", two movies about John Waters (the moody and enigmatic Australian one) being a washed up rock star.

In one of the above, his wife is sitting, pregnant, on the couch. John Waters' character leans over to touch her belly, places his head close to unborn baby, and whispers : "C'arn the Roys".

Train 'em early.

Just found a new candidate!

Was at the Collins Place cinema last night, watching Argentinian flick Bombon.

Carefully tracking the subtitles throughout, I suddenly noticed them say that someone or something came from or went to or was at Fitz Roy.

I didn't realise that it was about our own beloved Roys until the next line which was approximately Things aren't so good down there these days.

Mark it down. :thumbsu:

Mobbenfuhrer said:
Just found a new candidate!

Was at the Collins Place cinema last night, watching Argentinian flick Bombon.

Carefully tracking the subtitles throughout, I suddenly noticed them say that someone or something came from or went to or was at Fitz Roy.

I didn't realise that it was about our own beloved Roys until the next line which was approximately Things aren't so good down there these days.

Mark it down. :thumbsu:

I made the trek down to Argentina to visit Fitzroy in January 2005. It looked pretty good to me. :thumbsu:

Argentina's always 'down' to anywhere where you're coming from (except Antartica I suppose?). Just like Tassie!

Fat Pizza said:
Yes. We were also in The Great McCarthy.

There is a fair bit of footage of a Fitzroy-South Melbourne game at the Junction Oval from 1974 in this film. An interesting point to note is that in a scene in the game that is not live action, the film extras/players are wearing Fitzroy jumpers with a CFC monogram.....not good!

As I have mentioned on a previous post, the Fitzroy uniform is the one-off outfit of 1974, the year before we changed to the lighter maroon & yellow shorts for colour TV. The outfit in the film is maroon, blue and yellow, black shorts and hooped socks.

Another reference for this post is Gil Tucker, who was on a post-Cop Shop program on channel 2. Can't recall the name of the show, but Gil Tucker was forever getting around in a Fitzroy jumper.

Actor - filmography
(2000s) (1990s) (1980s) (1970s)

The Extra (2005)

"Neighbours" (1985) TV Series .... Martin Chester (1999)
"Kelly" (1991) TV Series .... Frank Patterson
"Golden Fiddles" (1991) (mini) TV Series .... Sam Briggs
All the Rivers Run 2 (1990) (TV) .... Hopkins

"House Rules" (1988) TV Series
"The Flying Doctors" (1986) TV Series .... Joe Forrest (1986)
"The Flying Doctors" (1985) (mini) TV Series .... Joe Forrest

Mad Max (1979) .... People's Observer
"Cop Shop" (1977) TV Series .... Const. Roy Baker
High Rolling (1977) .... Second Shooter
... aka High Rolling in a Hot Corvette
"Power Without Glory" (1976) (mini) TV Series .... Lou Darby

Filmography as: Actor, Notable TV Guest Appearances

Notable TV Guest Appearances

"Stingers" playing "Robert Ballard" in episode: "In Plain View" (episode # 5.10) 9 April 2002
"The Games" playing "Gil" (episode # 2.2) 26 June 2000
"Blue Heelers" playing "Ian Radley" in episode: "Welcome Back" (episode # 7.12) 26 April 2000
"Blue Heelers" playing "George Stanford" in episode: "Pillow Talk" (episode # 6.7) 24 March 1999
"Good Guys Bad Guys" playing "Handy Andy" in episode: "You Light Up My Wife" (episode # 2.13) 23 October 1998
"Bluey" playing "Tim" in episode: "The First Bloody Day" (episode # 1.1) 16 July 1976
"The Last of the Australians" playing "Ambrose" in episode: "The Big Noise" (episode # 1.13) 2 September 1975
"Matlock Police" playing "Garbo Spencer" in episode: "The Son" (episode # 1.199) 1 August 1975
"Cash and Company" playing "Luke" in episode: "The Intruders" (episode # 1.6) 3 July 1975
"Division 4" playing "Nicky McQueen" in episode: "Nicky" (episode # 1.270) 24 April 1975
"Boney" playing "Pilot" in episode: "Boney and the Silent Order" (episode # 2.12) 9 April 1973

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mobbenfuhrer said:
FR mentioned that a post-Cop Shop show had references, I didn't realise Cop Shop itself did.

The guy who played the young constable was a 'roy boy and the rest of the cast kind of adopted Fitzroy and did a few publicity things. Thats how I remember it anyway.

localyokel said:
The guy who played the young constable was a 'roy boy and the rest of the cast kind of adopted Fitzroy and did a few publicity things. Thats how I remember it anyway.

A-ha ok well yeah, add it to the list!

1. Boulevarde Of Broken Dreams
2. The Club
3. The Great McCarthy
4. Garbo

1. Don Lane Show
2. Cop Shop

I remember the Gil Tucker post-Cop Shop show, it was House Rules on the ABC with Jacqui Weaver.

Weaver was a housewife who became a state MP and Tucker was her long-suffering husband, as I recall, frequently seen lounging around on the couch with a Roys sleeveless jumper on over his shirt.

BrainOfMorbius said:
I remember the Gil Tucker post-Cop Shop show, it was House Rules on the ABC with Jacqui Weaver.

Weaver was a housewife who became a state MP and Tucker was her long-suffering husband, as I recall, frequently seen lounging around on the couch with a Roys sleeveless jumper on over his shirt.

I remember that show. 6.30 on a sunday night. She got the seat because her opponent failed to nominate on time and she was elected unopposed.

Pardon the unfortunate thread necromancy but I thought I'd share some Fitzroy-related movie clips that have been mentioned here, albeit a very long time ago.

First up, here's some footage from the 1980 film adaptation of David Williamson's play, The Club. This clip features game footage of Collingwood and Fitzroy filmed during the 1979 First Semi Final on Saturday, 15th September at the MCG. This game footage was intercut with additional scenes featuring actors John Howard and Harold Hopkins alongside players from Collingwood and Fitzroy. These scenes were filmed at Victoria Park and choreographed by Tom Hafey (seen briefly in this clip at 1:15). Who doesn't like seeing Fitzroy in the Grand Final? :)

The Club - Collingwood Magpies vs Fitzroy Lions

Next we have scenes from the 1975 film, The Great Macarthy. This clip features game footage of South Melbourne and Fitzroy filmed at the Lake Oval, probably during Round 5 on Saturday, 4th May 1974. The John Jarratt look-alike playing for South Melbourne (number 39) is Gary Scott, who didn't play a senior game in 1974. Scott's scenes could only have been filmed during the Reserves game.

Also notable are the costumes used during John Jarratt's on-field scenes. As FitzroyRamone noted, the Fitzroy jumpers are a strange hybrid of Carlton design and Fitzroy colour.

tgm1.jpg

The Great Macarthy - South Melbourne Swans vs Fitzroy Lions

And finally here's a scene from the 1988 film, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, uploaded by Mobbenfuhrer and featuring John Waters' benediction to his unborn Royboy or Roygirl.

"C'arn the mighty roys"

When I find a copy of Garbo I'll upload the Fitzroy scenes here. I've got Jack Irish in the works and when time permits I'll upload the Royness to this thread.

Enjoy! :footy::):footy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back