Fitzroy player in the long shorts

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys does anyone remember the Fitzroy player who wore long shorts to the knee. They were designed so that they had the v with footy in the stripes down the sides the same as the shorts but extended.

Why did he wear them? Scarring or something else?

Always thought it was cool as he was the only player I had ever seen wear something so different I was just a fascinated kid starting to watch the games who loved the ffc logo as I had no idea what it meant but it looked pleasing to the eye.

They were my second team for a while back then thanks to Conlan, Quinlan, Osbourne, Roos those kinds of players always troubling my beloved Swans especially in that final grrrrrrrrrr :)

Michael Reeves. He was a haemophiliac, so was susceptible to internal bleeding, especially if he was knocked on the legs, while playing in the ruck. The padded shorts gave him a bit of extra protection.

Michael Reeves. He was a haemophiliac, so was susceptible to internal bleeding, especially if he was knocked on the legs, while playing in the ruck. The padded shorts gave him a bit of extra protection.

Hey FP didn't Richard Osbourne wear some at one stage?

Thanks for that very interesting. I wonder why they made him wear custom shorts with extended stripes rather than just something underneath the shorts. I guess they didn't have those kind of items at the ready back then though.

Thanks for answering this question FP, i was wondering this when i was watching the 86 elimination final highlights on the AFL site.

Great win that day :thumbsu::D

Hi guys does anyone remember the Fitzroy player who wore long shorts to the knee. They were designed so that they had the v with footy in the stripes down the sides the same as the shorts but extended.

Why did he wear them? Scarring or something else?

Always thought it was cool as he was the only player I had ever seen wear something so different I was just a fascinated kid starting to watch the games who loved the ffc logo as I had no idea what it meant but it looked pleasing to the eye.

They were my second team for a while back then thanks to Conlan, Quinlan, Osbourne, Roos those kinds of players always troubling my beloved Swans especially in that final grrrrrrrrrr :)

It's an urban myth that Michael Reeves is a haemophiliac

He was interviewed on SEN. He has a low-clotting factor, so he was susceptible to severe corkies that could put him out for several weeks. In fact, I don't think he even knew he had an issue until David Parkin suggested he get tested for his bad corkies.

As he said in the interview, there's no way haemophiliacs could play a contact sport like footy. He felt bad when kids with haemophilia would write him to ask how they could also play footy, because he had to give them the bad news that they couldn't.

The main reason he first wore the padding was because he started playing a lot in the ruck against much bigger guys

Last edited:
Plenty, just go back to the days of Percy Parratt and Tom Banks and Geoff Moriaty in our glory days. Long pants were the fashion of the times.

Last edited:
Warning: old thread :D

It's an urban myth that Michael Reeves is a haemophiliac

He was interviewed on SEN a few weeks ago (good interview). He has a low-clotting factor, so he was susceptible to severe corkies that could put him out for several weeks. As he said in the interview, there's no way haemophiliacs could play a contact sport like footy.

He felt bad when kids with haemophilia would write him to ask how they could also play footy, because he had to give them the bad news.

In fact, I don't think he even knew he had an issue until David Parkin suggested he get tested for his bad corkies.

He also said that the main reason he first wore the padding was because he started playing a lot in the ruck against much bigger guys

Thanks for clearing that up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found this thread after watching Front Bar and then Googling him. I needed to find out what those shorts were all about. What a great story!
I haven't seen the Front Bar or listened to the JYB interview, so not sure if this was mentioned, but apparently Reeves played in a Premiership with his son at Hepburn, before finally hanging up his boots.

I haven't seen the Front Bar or listened to the JYB interview, so not sure if this was mentioned, but apparently Reeves played in a Premiership with his son at Hepburn, before finally hanging up his boots.
Hepburn won a couple of flags while he was still at Fitzroy, the next flag they won was in 1989 v Springbank. They didn't win another flag until the 2000s (2004 & 2005).

Michael's interview on the Front Bar was a cracker. Funny dry bloke who delivered the one liners beautifully. Famous for four things I reckon - the Long Shorts, The Dipper raised form arm, the Umpire spray when he played on from full back, and a cracking pack mark on a highlights reel. Pity the Front Bar guys didn't talk about the long shorts or the pack mark.

Hepburn won a couple of flags while he was still at Fitzroy, the next flag they won was in 1989 v Springbank. They didn't win another flag until the 2000s (2004 & 2005).
I reckon it was in about 2004. I'm not sure whether it was in the seniors or reserves, but Michael was about 45yo.

Michael's interview on the Front Bar was a cracker. Funny dry bloke who delivered the one liners beautifully. Famous for four things I reckon - the Long Shorts, The Dipper raised form arm, the Umpire spray when he played on from full back, and a cracking pack mark on a highlights reel. Pity the Front Bar guys didn't talk about the long shorts or the pack mark.
A smashing guy - extremely funny and tells it well. Love his yarn about using capsicum spray as a salad dressing @ Police Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back