Fitzroy v Mazenod

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Now, the revolutionaries (the Reds) in France were after the Mazenod family but they escaped, I think, to Italy.. I have forgotten my catholic history but I remember the carnage the Mazenod Football Team inflicted several times out at Central Reserve. We, the Roy Boys, are going to send the Mazenod lot down to C Grade

The Mobbenfreurher will probably delete this rant but I will admit, ' While I hate those @#$%%$#@ Mazenod player, the only thing worse than Mazenod players are their supporters.

Why are Mazenod games the ONLY games where we get opposition supporters coming down to our goals with one objective: to get into an argument with the noble tram conductors.

I am back from Lords, Trent Bridge etc and I will rocking back at the BSO as we cream Mazenod.

Go Roys

I do not understand what 'Hardie Plank' means. It is probably a reference centred on the last twenty years.

I have just realised (been told ) that the Mazenod game is next week, not tomorrow so I am off to Ballarat, to watch hockey, but be warned.

NEXT WEEK DERRINALPHIL WILL NOT BE FULL OF S.... and there is a very good reason why

I started the day with an appointment with a gastroenterologist and the Knox hospital. What I needed to have done isn’t fit for polite conversation and either is yesterday’s match. Ouch, that hurt. The Boys from Old Fitzroy copped a flogging down at Brunswick Street yesterday, as one of Mazenod’s prodigal sons returned. Kavanagh, who I think was up in Sydney for the last few years, came back to kick ten. He may be well past thirty years old but he lead well, marked well, and missed nothing. Mazenod kicked thirteen goals one behind after half time and ran over us in a sensational last quarter.
The highlight of the pre-match wasn’t the ladies lunch but the splendid head wear on show amongst the tram conductors at the Eastern end of the game. Look up the sartorial elegance on display on the Tramconductors Facebook site. There wasn’t much else to smile about at 5.00 pm.
The match started with Mazenod playing intercept footy. They would get the ball and cough it up, allowing easy, uncontested turn overs but we failed to take enough advantage, of our intercepts, and went into quarter time only two goals up.
The second quarter started with Kavanagh starting his goal kicking rampage and Manzenod were several goals up when the game turned ugly. Mazenod gave away several free kicks and twenty five yard penalties. Several of our players were, well let’s just say the incidents were well off the ball. We received two soft goals as a result and, while we were only a point down at half time, the writing was on the wall. The quarter was encapsulated by a passage of play where Rory received a free kick in the centre. He spent ages looking sideways and telegraphed a risky lateral pass that delivered a turn over to Mazenod. How a forward line can function when players refuse to kick the ball forward beats me and Rory’s complete lack of confidence was palpable all over the round.
Our forwards can be criticized for not coming up to the ball, presenting, demanding the ball but sometimes, when under pressure, you just bang the ball forward and hope for the best. The last quarter was a debacle.
We spent some time after the match bemoaning out lack of recruiting. We have a better team this year as our players have got older, but we still lack a ruckman and some more forwards. Phil Carydis, Pickers and Rossie B did not play which meant that Buddy Bakes was up at full forward as a mobile target. This robs us of a big body around the ball but still leaves us too small up forward.
Yesterday we were out muscled all day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back