Resource Fitzroy Video - Links to moving picture media

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: the 1978 Night Grand Final

Ohhh bugger!!

Guess this means we'll have to keep looking for a supporter who has a copy instead mate...
I may be receiving a copy of the 1978 night grand final in a few weeks - depending on how long games I will trade for it take to return.

I will soon be receiving copies of:

1. Round 5, 1986, Fitzroy v Hawthorn
  2. Round 17, 1986, Hawthorn v Fitzroy
and also Round 10, 1986, Sydney v Fitzroy which probably will not be of so much interest to you. I do not know what quality these games will be of, but I still wish to inform the full games of Fitzroy’s two wins over the eventual 1986 premiers exist.

Finally got around to uploading some more Fitzroy footage.

Round 24, 1991 - Fitzroy vs West Coast at Optus Sandpit Oval.

It's Last versus First in Matt Rendell's final game. Fitzroy must win to be any chance of avoiding the wooden spoon. But minor premiers and flag favourites, the Eagles have other ideas...

Without spoiling the outcome, the first half is, shall we say, of historical interest only. Things get more exciting after half time! All the Fitzroy goals have been bookmarked in the description on each YouTube video page. Click on the timestamp to jump straight to the action!

Enjoy! :thumbsu:

First Quarter - download with KeepVid

Second Quarter - download with Keepvid

Third Quarter - download with KeepVid

Fourth Quarter - download with KeepVid

:footy::):footy:

It's Last versus First in Matt Rendell's final game. Fitzroy must win to be any chance of avoiding the wooden spoon.
Already have that in full on DVD. I was impressed much more by Fitzroy’s tactics than their actual play, which was not of a really high quality with quite a lot of errors. However, by playing a second big man on the ball, they found a way of targeting the Eagles’ only real weakness - the ruck - which was copied quite a bit in later years.

Rendell actually played for Brisbane in 1992, and was the fourth last surviving player born in the 1950s when he retired (behind Neville Bruns, Neil Cordy and Dale Weightman)

Am I correct in saying its the famous game where Shaw told the players to go out to his opponent before the game, shake his hand, and say "its a pity you won't be playing in the finals next week because I've been informed that you're not allowed to leave the ground uninjured...."

Or words to those effect.

Tim the Toolman will know the story?

Mighty Roar, you are a bloody legend for posting this on youtube. I found it by accident last night and watched the last half. What a ripper.

I have this match on video and it's indeed one of the favourites. I particularly love watching the crowd's overwhelming joy at witnessing the famous victory. Keep a eye out for final quarter moments such as:
- The two guys with the tinnies seemingly gobsmacked by every goal.
- The penetrating voice from the John Elliott stand insisting 'You can do it! You can do it!' in the lead up to Harding's long goal.
- The mother so excited by the Harding goal she is inadvertently shaking her baby.

Righto, very glad people liked the Fitzroy / West Coast game. More Roy Boy vids coming soon!

For now, here's a couple of short clips with Fitzroy flavour taken from Brisbane 2001 - The Final Story.

Kevin Murray - download with KeepVid

Chris Johnson - download with KeepVid

Okey Dokey, I'm guessing most of us have seen this already, but I thought I'd stick it on the 'Tube just in case. Sound is a bit dodgy as it was ripped from a third generation VHS copy, but it is watchable. Without further ado, let's join Bernie Quinlan as he evaluates one of our most successful seasons.

Enjoy!:thumbsu:

Fitzroy Lions - At Their Best: 1986 Season Highlights - Part 1 - download with KeepVid

Fitzroy Lions - At Their Best: 1986 Season Highlights - Part 2 - download with KeepVid

:):footy::)

The AFL releasing footage from the 1909 Grand Final between South Melbourne and Carlton has got me interested in whether there is any old footage of Fitzroy floating about on the internet or anywhere else.

This thread really peaked my interest:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...th-melbourne-vs-carlton-footage.974913/page-6

It has basically shown that the Marvellous Melbourne 1910 video, which has a few seconds of football, contains what I gather is the earliest footage featuring Fitzroy Football Club (and of Collingwood feral supporters!). The match is Collingwood vs. Fitzroy at Victoria Park. Fitzroy are wearing all maroon jumpers although a few of our players are still wearing the older jumpers with yellow canvass down the middle (as happened a bit in those days, not everyone on the same team wore the exact same jumper).

Anyway, don't get too excited as it literally only goes for a few seconds. But it made me wonder if there was any other old Fitzroy footage - say anything pre 1970?

I just re-watched some of the Fitzroy First 100 Years videos on youtube and in them I found:
- some footage from a game in the late 1920's or early 1930's at Brunswick St Oval
- footage from a game in 1954
- and some pretty good footage from the 1960 preliminary final vs. Collingwood that we lost by 5 points in a mud heap at the MCG

I also know the Fitzroy Football Club does / or used to sell copies of a DVD containing some short footage from a few Fitzroy games from 1958, which I have.

Does anyone know of anything else that is on the internet?

[God I wonder if the holy grail of the 1944 Grand Final isn't lost in storage somewhere given the 1945 Grand Final newsreel is on youtube (although that was the Bloodbath grand final, so that made it particularly newsworthy).]

At long last! Time for more Fitzroy videos!

Apparently I can't embed more than five videos in a single post, so I'll split this batch in two.

First a couple of quick snippets from the "AFL Memorable Moments" DVD.

Greatest Winning Margin

Haydn Bunton

:footy: More below :footy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...And now a special treat - the Complete 1986 Home & Away Season Highlights video!

Almost 3 hours of classic RoyBoy footage from the days of Pro Football VHS cassettes. This one took some doing because the source tape was a bit grotty, but I think the digital restoration effort has been worthwhile.

Lou Richards, Bob Skilton, Peter Landy, Don Scott - they're all here delivering their unique brand of commentary for Channel 7. Every round has been bookmarked in the description on each YouTube video page, so you can skip forward or back by clicking on the timestamp. If you're watching here on BigFooty, you can drag the finder on the YouTube progress bar to the times shown below.

Part 1 - Rounds 1 to 5 - download with KeepVid
Round 1 vs Geelong - 00:39
Round 2 vs Footscray - 06:30
Round 3 vs Melbourne - 17:55
Round 4 vs Carlton - 25:49
Round 5 vs Hawthorn - 30:03

Part 2 - Rounds 6 to 10 - download with KeepVid
Round 6 vs Richmond - 00:00
Round 7 vs St. Kilda - 10:08
Round 8 vs North Melbourne - 15:50
Round 9 vs Essendon - 23:34
Round 10 vs Sydney - 35:27

Part 3 - Rounds 11 to 15 - download with KeepVid
Round 11 vs Collingwood - 00:00
Round 12 vs Geelong - 06:44
Round 13 vs Footscray - 17:57
Round 14 vs Melbourne - 21:20
Round 15 vs Carlton - 30:23

Part 4: Rounds 16 to 22 - download with KeepVid
Round 16 vs Collingwood - 00:00
Round 17 vs Hawthorn- 10:13
Round 18 vs Richmond - 17:24
Round 19 vs St. Kilda - 24:14
Round 20 vs North Melbourne - 33:19
Round 21 vs Essendon - 39:16
Round 22 vs Sydney - 48:50

Regarding the Carlton and Footscray games from 1986, I am eager to ask if you or anyone has the full games of those from ProFootball.

Although they were very bad thrashings for the Lions that showed obvious weakness in the 1986 team and gave them a very bad percentage to boot, they are nonetheless of interest to me. The Footscray game was almost certainly the Bulldogs’ best performance of the 1980s and from what I have read it would be great to show today’s football fans as a display of roving old-style that one does not see in the days of Docklands. Royal kicked seven and McGuiness, McLean and Petraglia were also brilliant.

I found this on Youtube today, thought it was a ripper

Robbed of this splendid clip by the BF upgrade!

But here it is again, restored to its rightful place...

Am I correct in saying its the famous game where Shaw told the players to go out to his opponent before the game, shake his hand, and say "its a pity you won't be playing in the finals next week because I've been informed that you're not allowed to leave the ground uninjured...."

Or words to those effect.

Tim the Toolman will know the story?

Mighty Roar, you are a bloody legend for posting this on youtube. I found it by accident last night and watched the last half. What a ripper.

I wasn't on the ground in those days until after the siren sounded which was the case that day. My flatmate and I had kept some streamers from the run through banner which stayed at my flat for the next few years until I moved out as a memorial from that unbelievable game!

The story wouldn't surprise me though. Shawy would injure his own players at training to prove a point so I wouldn't doubt that he'd be more then willing to target an opposition player for damage?

Ripper Mr Ripper.

1983? I see Nettlefold playing, Rendell in the ruck, Billy Lokan in the Centre - so thinking it is 1983?

Bloody ripper Crowstricolours. I always loved listening to Bruce declaring the Roys into the grand final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back