Resource Fitzroy Video - Links to moving picture media

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Royboys.

I have salvaged some of my old VHS tapes. They have endured multiple moves and a couple of floods.

It's not a Fitzroy win obviously as I only keep our wins, but I have the Carlton v Fitzroy game Rd 11, 1988. The quality is ordinary but watchable. I've done the DVD conversion and saved to PowerDirector. I hope to have it up on youtube if it lets me upload the whole thing.

Anybody interested, just because there is not many of these around anymore?

Leon Harris, Mick Conlan, Matt Armstrong and Paul Roos had good games. Ross Lyon, Gary Pert, Alastair Lynch, John Blakey all playing.

Okay, the quality of this was ordinary. Have had it cleaned up a bit. Will get it cut up into 15 minutes segments and get it up this weekend ... I hope.

Not sure if this has been posted here:

Unfortunately, it only has highlights of Essendon goals (I'd have posted a more even version if I could find one) but there's still some good footage in there.

Still think this was one of the very best games I've been to. Just a great spectacle of vintage, attacking '90s football.

Not sure if this has been posted here:

Unfortunately, it only has highlights of Essendon goals (I'd have posted a more even version if I could find one) but there's still some good footage in there.

Still think this was one of the very best games I've been to. Just a great spectacle of vintage, attacking '90s football.

Doss, this was certainly one of the great forgotten games. Unfortunately the result has always left a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm sure with a victory the Roys would have gone on to play finals in 93. If only Jason Baldwin, in career best form, was not suspended.

On a side night I'm sure this encounter remains the last ever Friday night game to begin screening on Channel Seven at 9.30pm. In a season of great Friday night matches viewer anger at the late timeslots ultimately created change after this classic was not shown in full.

I wonder if anyone has the last quarter of Round 15, 1988, Fitzroy v Collingwood – at upset thrashing by the twelfth-placed Lions against a Collingwood team weakened by the loss of Shane Morwood, Graeme Wright and Dennis Banks to a “flu” epidemic that swept southern Australia that July. I already have the first three quarters when Fitzroy scored sixteen goals to two but do want the last, though a large reason for that is seeing Magpie defender Michael Gayfer scoring his only goal in 142 League games, something I intended and expected to put up on YouTube when I first got the games as part of a big trade.

Great game.
Dominated by what I initially thought was a wind off the sea, but was actually a northerly (why did it not affect the other matches so much??), that match was a record-setter or nearly so in three respects:
  1. The scoring differential between ends of 31-23 (209) at one end versus 5-12 (42) at the other is the largest on record for any VFL/AFL game
  2. Fitzroy’s 22-19 (151) is the second highest score by a team beginning with a goalless quarter, one point behind North Melbourne’s 23-14 (152) against Hawthorn in the opening round of 1977
    • 1979 also saw:
    1. the highest (by fifteen points) score by a team goalless at half-time (Hawthorn’s 11-24 against the Lions in Round 7)
    2. and the second-highest score by a team goalless at three-quarter time (St. Kilda’s 6-9 against Carlton in Round 19)
  3. Fitzroy’s 12-4 (76) in the second quarter is its second-highest for any quarter, behind 12-6 (78) in its amazing match with St. Kilda in Round 17, 1983.

Last edited:
It was a northerly :confused:

Anyhoo, the other '79 Roys-Dogs affair is also on the yoochoob, courtesy of the same poster...

I was at this one. I was 16 and I took my 9 year old brother to the game. We caught a bus from Lower Templestowe to Box Hill station and then a Ventura bus from there to VFL Park. It took forever. It was dark by the time we got back to Box Hill station after the game. While we were waiting for the bus to Lower Templestowe my brother's footy was 'borrowed' by some drunk Footscray supporters who were probably in their early 20's. They played a bit of good natured street kick to kick, before returning the footy. Got back home very late, but not as late as them if they had to train it to the other side of town. Quite an adventure for two young Royboys. We loved Fitzroy and saw plenty of great wins. Years later, in 1992 the same brother was with me at Princess Park when Roos kicked the winner against Collingwood in the dying seconds. Just to complete the story, my brother became quite good mates with Paul Abbott when he moved to Fremantle.

Last edited:
We caught a bus from Lower Templestowe to Box Hill station and then a Ventura bus from there to VFL Park. It was dark by the time we got back to Box Hill station after the game.
Was that based on the ancestor of today’s route 733 – which by the middle 1980s only went to Monash University and then to Clayton, Oaklegh via Centre Road and Golf Road, and ultimately Chadstone?? A diversion to Waverley from Monash would have been easy to schedule and 733 is the only route in the area apart from the 630 that historically ran on Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

Looking at that earlier game, which occurred during a run of nine wins by the Lions that was their best sequence since 1960 (equal) and not bettered since 1950/1951, one is struck by how unscientific much of the football was. Both Fitzroy and Footscray seemed to be interested in moving the ball in low and long fashion towards goal, with very little pressure put on by either team. Virtually every mark seems to be totally uncontested, and players seemed on the huge expanses of Waverley to try to manouvre into a position where they were closer to the ball than their opponents. Whilst aesthetically – as in cricket – this unscientific method of play is more attractive than scientific man-on-man short-and-high football, it cannot compete on the perfect grounds of today.

This is another Lions versus Bulldogs clash, from 1985 on a wet Victoria Park during a very wet August all through Victoria. Footscray won narrowly thanks to their accurate score of 12-5 (77) – one of six Lion losses by under ten points during that disappointing 1985 season. Despite their poor record of only seven victories, Fitzroy earlier in the year in wetter conditions had been the only visiting team to win at the Western Oval. In contrast, in 1986 when the Lions made the Preliminary they were thrashed there by one of Footscray’s finest team performances in their League history.

Last edited:
mianfei, I have no idea about the bus route but we did go via the cape. I do think that Springvale Rd featured in the journey around Nunawading, but I couldn't be sure. It was the longest suburban bus ride I had ever been on then and still is. Did Ventura rain a "Football Special" originating at Box Hill do you think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is the full last quarter of the memorable Round 13, 1983 annihilation of North Melbourne. Conlan kicked five goals in that quarter after being blanketed for two and a half quarters by Keith Greig. The presence of the full last quarter – which one would hardly expect to have been what a Channel Seven highlights program would show as the match was won so long before that – does smell the possibility someone has the full game and if they do making it publicly available would be a valuable step to preserving a piece of football history – like Footscray’s win over St. Kilda from the same round five years beforehand.

are there any Fitzroy players still playing in the AFL (or any league)
I would doubt it. I forgot who the last former Fitzroy player still playing in the AFL was, then found it was Chris Johnson who played his last AFL match for the Brisbane Lions against Geelong in the final round of 2007 – there is an ABC article ‘AFL’s Last Fitzroy Player Calls It Quits’. He had only ten possessions (six kicks and four handballs) for one goal straight.

I would doubt it. I forgot who the last former Fitzroy player still playing in the AFL was, then found it was Chris Johnson who played his last AFL match for the Brisbane Lions against Geelong in the final round of 2007 – there is an ABC article ‘AFL’s Last Fitzroy Player Calls It Quits’. He had only ten possessions (six kicks and four handballs) for one goal straight.

Yep, Chris Johnson was the last player who was still playing in the AFL that had played for Fitzroy (which also happened to be one of the main reasons behind my user name as CJ was a favourite of mine). Not sure about players playing in other leagues, but there are probably a few.

By the way, apparently Dustin Fletcher was the last player still playing in the AFL that had played against Fitzroy (Boomer Harvey started in 1996 in Fitzroy's last year, but only played one game against Richmond that year).

Here is the full last quarter of the memorable Round 13, 1983 annihilation of North Melbourne. Conlan kicked five goals in that quarter after being blanketed for two and a half quarters by Keith Greig. The presence of the full last quarter – which one would hardly expect to have been what a Channel Seven highlights program would show as the match was won so long before that – does smell the possibility someone has the full game and if they do making it publicly available would be a valuable step to preserving a piece of football history – like Footscray’s win over St. Kilda from the same round five years beforehand.

Great upload. Thanks

are there any Fitzroy players still playing in the AFL (or any league)

Whilst there are no active players remaining there remains a surprisingly large number of Fitzroy people still in the AFL system. For example current coaches comprise Paul Roos, Ross Lyon and Ken Hinkley. A complete list of personel has been documented in greater detail elsewhere.

mianfei, I have no idea about the bus route but we did go via the cape. I do think that Springvale Rd featured in the journey around Nunawading, but I couldn't be sure. It was the longest suburban bus ride I had ever been on then and still is. Did Ventura rain a "Football Special" originating at Box Hill do you think?
I remember two bus routes (Ventura I think) run for VFL Park specifically, one was from Clayton, from memory. Another went north and stopped at Nunawading station but I don't remember if that was it's terminus or if it went further. The 733 was a daily and one I would use from time to time for work.

From the Lions website, another game I was at, a few minutes of Fitzroy vs. Essendon in 1994. Tim Watson's 300th game from memory, Roys won by 13 points with a young Chrissy Johnson, John Barker, Jarrod Molloy and Simon Hawking all in the side along with Brad Boyd who kicked 3 goals and got 37 touches.

Despite what the link says, it is definitely Roys vs. Dons:
http://www.lions.com.au/video/2016-05-12/tbt-bears-vs-carlton-1994

By the way, here are the stats from the match:
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1994/050619940402.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back