Match Discussion Fitzroy vs St Kevin's Old Boys

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
This weekend the Royboys take on the undefeated St Kevin's Old Boys at the Brunswick Street Oval.

It would be great to see a big crowd in attendance to support the boys, at one of the best suburban grounds in Melbourne. Especially if there are a few of those Brisbane Lions supporters heading to Etihad Stadium to see the Lions take on the Western Bulldogs a couple of hours later.

Brisbane Lions director and Fitzroy champion Ross Thornton will be speaking at the Rotary Luncheon hosted by Fitzroy before the seniors, so will be a great opportunity to get along and not only meet a Fitzroy great, but also find out how the Brisbane Lions and Fitzroy are getting along these days.

From Hampton Reserve to Hallam Fields- Marshalls march all troops to victory

All Fitzroy teams (non gender specific) had victories in last weekend’s games. Big shout out especially to Coaches John Marshall and his Fitzroy- ACU “Heroes” on their first win and Michael Pickering’s “Leanders”.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_and_Leander

The “ boys of old Fitzroy” again performed in a cooperative and “chip away” manner that saw them accumulate, especially in the second half, with superior run and handball to record our fourth score over 100 points all of which, and only, games we have won. The game was tense at the beginning of the third quarter and remained that way with the first 8 free kicks going to Hampton before our players recalibrated their approach to the ball and produced some very entertaining football.

It was remarkable that the five multiple goal scorers did not feature in the best players; which is as it should be in a well performing team. Better that than fawn over all goal kickers when a team totals in the 5-8 goal range which always tells me no one has seriously been watching anyone’s performance throughout the day. Titanic individual performances on such days can go unnoticed and unrecognised for the soft matching selection of best equates to goal kickers by default. The great unnoticed are the cogs, bolts, flywheels, differentials and engines when successive victories finally flow. They have staunched the bleeding in defeat they are the launching pad when the contest is won. They are the players who pride their defensive game highly, usually more so, than their attacking one and are mindful of defence when attacking. Happily we are building a critical mass of these players which is essential to progress through the grades to William Buck Premier.

We must however always have some players perform in an elite manner on the day to make the machine hum and on last Saturday it was Nick ‘I look lackadaisical but I break the lines’ Marshall, “El“ Green again and the Baker boys playing a tune on the Boss James stage.

This week the FFC meet St Kevin’s at the BSO. We don’t yet have the hosting facilities to match the New Age ‘St. Kevin's Bed’ at T.H.King Reserve (a far cry from the Bronze Age man-made cave cut in the rock face very close to the edge of Lugduff mountain, Gleann Dá Loch County Wicklow, Ireland where the original Kevin, as he was then known, lived as a hermit and to which he was reportedly led by an angel.)

Our Director Anita Roper in an uber effort is again running the annual raffle to raise funds( to get matching funds); get a book for yourself and more to sell on Saturday. This will allow the Roys to build a pride of Pride which will match the Uni’s Pavvy, the New Age St Kevin’s Bed and be a men and ‘sheilas’ hut that will no doubt in time be christened the SHEddy!

Can we beat the Salopeks , Steve Gilham (early replacement for Trent Croad in the 2008 AFL Grand Final) and the rest of the Lynch mob this week ? St Kevin’s will not be led to the BSO by angels and we anticipate we will give them some devils to take home.

Go Roys!Go!

Last edited:

I had a really good day on Saturday until about ten to four. Up to three quarter time things were looking hunky dory at the BSO. I had my own teeth checked and cleaned in the morning. Even dentists have to go to the dentist and having your teeth cleaned makes them feel so good. My cricket book dealer, the one and only Roger Page, dropped in the 2015 Wisden, taking my collection to 151.

I went to the lunch where Ross Thorton was the guest speaker. Ross was an entertaining speaker with a deprecating sense of humour. Ross was on the bench for his first game but had to pick up a certain Malcom Blight as he ran on. This was not a successful match up for the Roys and Ross was relived when he moved onto another player. He mentioned that he won the 1984 Best and Fairest despite Bernie kicking over a hundred goals that year. Ross owns two Maccas franchises and is very proud of the wonderful charity: Ronald MacDonald.

I was on a table with Tony Dullard, the ex demon player who is a great supporter of the Roys so drop into his hotel, the Clyde Hotel in Cardigan Street if you are in the area. Tony Wallis, the ex Fitroy player, was also on the table, with Peter Hille and several Fitzroy Rotary members. I did not want to eat anything. It spoils that lovely 'clean teeth feeling'. We had a jug of water on the table and I did observe that it was untouched at the end of the lunch. Wine and beer do not spoil the ‘clean teeth feeling’.

The match started at break neck speed, befitting a game between the undefeated St Kevins and the inform team of B Grade. The last time we played St Kevins we did not get a centre clearance in the first half but the move of Bisetto into the ruck has been the season changing move. Rory and Matty K were out (both will be back next week) and I was worried that the centre square would be a train wreck again.

They scored first. We were competing well but were not scoring but Tommy Cheshire had a person purple patch with two first quarter goals. Tommy has become an ‘A Grader.’ We went in at quarter time a point in front.

The next two quarters were a titanic struggle. We would get out to a two goal lead. They would dominate play, score a goal or two, then we would answer. They had a much bigger team but our run and carry meant we several time swept forward to score. Our smaller players do not miss tackles. Baker Senior deserves special mention. He imposed himself on the game in the third quarter. Baker Senior has to play as a tall forward, given our lack of ‘talls’ but he has the ability to will himself on the run of play. You can see him going hunting for the ball.

The last quarter was a train wreck. St Kevins are the stand out team in this grade and have not been headed at three quarter time this season but we could not sustain the effort. Rory and Matty K might have made a difference.

I then went to watch Brisbane. That was a mistake.

We play Ajax next week, a match we have to win. Rory and Matty K will play and Julian Turner is back from overseas.

Go the Roys

I went to the game until 3 qtr time (had my own sport to play so had to leave), first amateurs match.

Was really impressed with the quality of the footy, decent crowd (maybe 500), a bit of atmosphere, was able to sit on the hill with my dog, very picturesque oval with the city in the background.

Back to the footy as I said really good standard, players seemed to hit their targets as regularly as afl players to be honest just all a bit slower and shorter kicking than the top levels obviously. It did seem to me that fitzroy were playing to their limit through those first 3 qtrs and it wasn't clicking for St Kevs so (unfortunately) wasn't surorised to hear the final score as it seemed they'd get off the leash at some point.

Skevs had a few really big boys who I imagine are difference makers I think it was 11, 19 and maybe 36. Fitzroy seemed to have a lot more lightly built players perhaps a younger team?

Number 10 for fitzroy was a standout for me. Kicked a goal or two and seems to get get involved in most plays either inside or outside.

Will definitely be back my own sport (hockey) fixture willing.

I know in a grade most clubs would have at least 1 ex afl player, are heir any in b grade? They would clearly stand out but I wouldn't be surprised to hear there are a few floating around in b. Grade based on the standard.

Btw. I live near vic park so see a reasonable amount of vfl. There are a few duds at that level who could learn a bit about basic skills and control of their game from some of the players I saw on the weekend. Obviously a lot of guys who would also absolutely dominate at the lower level.

St Kevins have two ex-AFL players: Gilham and Salopek. Fitzroy have a small team but we have a few bigger players to come back. The most important is the coaches son, Will. Will is a BIG full forward and we rarely lose a game when he plays. Julian Turner, Cuzzie and a new full forward Dale Sheedy should all be playing soon and they will add size to the team. Mr Proctor please find us another ruckman can you?

My son Pete, who is a member of the tram conductors also plays hockey. He is the ones goalie for Knox so misses most games.

When you come again, introduce yourself to the worthies, and the unworthies (and you know who you are) behind the goals. None of the tramconductors knew each other before we met behind the goals at the BSO.

Scrubbers scare Skobbers but Coach cares for the young cobbers

The day started with a humble and heart warming interview given by Co Captain Rory Angiolella on 96.5 inner FM Radio. Questioned by Ken Petrucco, John Kanis et al, Rory gave a history of the current composition of the Fitzroy team as being “70-80 % made up of boys that went to Princes Hill Primary and had played since U/11s together when current coach Michael Pickering was assistant coach”. Rory did not reveal that he would not play later in the ‘Match of the Day’ due to injury though the disappointment in him was patent and palpable. Unashamedly Rory, when asked to describe himself, said “nearly six foot, I play in the centre and some of the others say I’m pudgy” which remark was rejoined by (fellow of shared Italian heritage) Ken Petrucco with “that would be the pasta”. Recounting the three recent wins Rory pointed out that they had been as a result of the “playing group meeting and expressing their frustration at the close losses against OMs (7pts), Ajax (3pts) and the resolve to work a bit harder and take it a bit more seriously” and ( by adopting, this ‘Popeye’ response(“Aye’s ains’t goin’ to takes it no more Olive”), “the team had ,luckily, turned it around”.

It was therefore left to our other helmsman Dan Bisetto to steer the ship of victory against the undefeated St Kevin’s. For three and a bit quarters he with the other lieutenants aboard did so. Only a corked thigh and oxygen preventing nose bleed plugs that saw Dan shifted to full forward stopped our Admiral from leading the boilover. Alongside him in the pocket was Will Fenton that no sextant would help following the knocks and whacks he got in the last minute and a half of the third quarter. His disorientated only ever statless quarter indicates what sort of train he was hit by. Our other bandaged brigade of Ross Borland and Nathan Ligris fought gamely as did Tom Cheshire, “El” Green, Max Ellis, Matt Brown and Tom Biscaro against quality opponents. This was a Spartan type resistance- the result was inevitable but the team resolve Rory spoke of shone like a beacon and the sizeable crowd that appreciated their efforts against all odds expressed such sentiments in the gentle heartfelt applause they gave as the boys departed the field.

After match at the coaches post mortem St Kevin’s Daniel Harford in a “thank God for that win; we thankfully won’t be seeing them again (hopefully)“ speech congratulated Fitzroy for living up to the numbers he had run which showed both sides were the current high performers in the competition. No doubt he is aware that of the 7 quarters St Kevin’s have conceded this year 3 are against Fitzroy (including the 1st game) together with their only break even quarter. Fitzroy, so far, is the only team to hold them goalless in a quarter. We will likely not get another chance against St Kevin’s this season but as sore as some of our boys are equally their players would feel the pinch and St Bede’s a skilful run and spread side will not get a better opportunity than this week to atone their 3point loss in round 1 against St Kevin’s.

On to Ajax for the Wolf’s 200th VAFA game.

Go Wolf! Go Roys!

.. Rory gave a history of the current composition of the Fitzroy team as being “70-80 % made up of boys that went to Princes Hill Primary and had played since U/11s together when current coach Michael Pickering was assistant coach”.
Having been associated with this group of kids / parents over the journey, they were not blessed with success until the U17 level. In fact they were regularly thrashed all over the Yarra Valley ( and Bundoora ) but it became clear that the coach was something special. It all came together when they won the VJFL Colts Div 1 and it's great that the spirit that was forged during those years has propelled the club upwards - as well as creating a strong conduit with Fitzroy Juniors, which has become a powerhouse club in the YJFL. All good.

Great commentary people for which there's not much more about the on-field contest I can add. Nonetheless I will contribute some general thoughts:
- The half-time little league/Auskick on Saturday was a winner and adds to the flavour of the day, crowd size, awareness of the club in VAFA competition and ultimately revenue. I'd like to see more of it.
- Even though I personally don't follow Brisbane I appreciated a vibe during Saturday that a number of supporters were enjoying the prospect of watching Fitzroy during the afternoon and Brisbane in the evening. It would be fantastic if future fixturing could take this into account - as logistically difficult as it could be.
- I'd like to see greater use of online communications and social media by the club to engage the community and improve membership/sponsorship numbers. The official Facebook page, as an example, has the potential to reach tremendous numbers in the community and yet postings are only performed on select days. I always get back to the example of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre Facebook Page and their postings which reach huge, huge, huge numbers of people. Nowadays their organisation is a recognised stakeholder in the asylum seeker debate.
- Can the online store on the website please be updated such that consumers can purchase goods fast and easily. Currently the pathway for purchasing is more complex than it needs to be and I hope this is not deterring prospective consumers.

Great commentary people for which there's not much more about the on-field contest I can add. Nonetheless I will contribute some general thoughts:
- The half-time little league/Auskick on Saturday was a winner and adds to the flavour of the day, crowd size, awareness of the club in VAFA competition and ultimately revenue. I'd like to see more of it.
- Even though I personally don't follow Brisbane I appreciated a vibe during Saturday that a number of supporters were enjoying the prospect of watching Fitzroy during the afternoon and Brisbane in the evening. It would be fantastic if future fixturing could take this into account - as logistically difficult as it could be.
- I'd like to see greater use of online communications and social media by the club to engage the community and improve membership/sponsorship numbers. The official Facebook page, as an example, has the potential to reach tremendous numbers in the community and yet postings are only performed on select days. I always get back to the example of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre Facebook Page and their postings which reach huge, huge, huge numbers of people. Nowadays their organisation is a recognised stakeholder in the asylum seeker debate.
- Can the online store on the website please be updated such that consumers can purchase goods fast and easily. Currently the pathway for purchasing is more complex than it needs to be and I hope this is not deterring prospective consumers.

It should also be mentioned that your women's side scored their second win in a row.

At the half-way point of the season, they sit 5th in VWFL Division 4, one win (and percentage) outside the top 4.

Not bad going in their first year!

It should also be mentioned that your women's side scored their second win in a row.

At the half-way point of the season, they sit 5th in VWFL Division 4, one win (and percentage) outside the top 4.

Not bad going in their first year!

Bloody oath, they girls are going great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back