Match Discussion Fitzroy win by 104 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Fitzroy produced one of the performances of the round in Premier B when they thrashed Hampton Rovers to the tune of 104 points at Brunswick St Oval. Trailing by two points at the first break, the Roys went on to kick 22 of the next 27 goals to give themselves a well-deserved percentage boost. Sam Baker was named best-on-ground for the Roys, while Rory Angiolella continued his red-hot 2015 form with two goals and a bevy of disposals.

Fitzroy 24.16.160 v Hampton Rovers 8.8.56- Peta’s Providore ,Willingham’s Poli Blancmange, Premier Vintage Redders, Kerry’s burgers and Roysters Natural ice the cake for Jimmy O’Reilly and Val Allpress’ (2nd) inductions to life membership

Arriving late at the BSO for the President’s lunch, due to family business, I spied in the corner of my eye the Pres anxious underneath the arches of the Grandstand stairwell on the ‘dog and bone’ presumably gauging ETA for her special guest speaker Lauren Arnell VWFL Western Bulldogs and Victorian rep and 5 time plus Darebin Falcons premiership superstar. Oh the pressures of being the Pres!

Proceeding down the hallway first greetings came from resurrected Reds Foundation Chairman Peter Hille whom with Richard “Jimmy Olsen” Willingham and Anita & Tom Roper had arranged the second annual Poli fest. Peter has only recently unhooked himself from the saline drip, heart monitor ,blood pressure and assorted other medical machinery (hopefully not including a catheter; ouch!) at the Epworth, just as he did in days of yore when he dodged puny backmen with his ever present genial smile and a wink as he left them in his wake after receiving the ball lace out ,by foot and hand, from his premiership Captain (now Club Director) Michael Smale who now governs Reds Foundation Functions with the iron fist in the velvet glove that Bronny used to gain order with in the House of Reps before she self ‘hell I croppered’ back to the back benches. I assured Peter of my great delight in learning of his well being (after feeble apologies for non visitation) as his chart of health is the bellwether of the health of the Club’s fortunes afield.

About to take my seat in the unexpectedly exalted position next to newly minted FFC media Director Kate Nolan (methought am I facing censure by minder again or a gag order in a dual play soft cop hard cop scenario). Instead I was ushered back past Hille who aghast guffawed “Your’e here last and last to fast”. I rejoined joyfully “So mote it be Monsieur Hille” as I glided to our caterers fare. He need not fear I had more veg on my plate than meat as I had factored a Kerry Winchester bullet burger into my calorific count for the day. What delicious burgers they are; a sentiment later affirmed by non luncheon attending George, Peter, Mark, Cathy, Anthony and all the other “shabby millionaires” who still have their first sixpence (drachma in George’s case) and congregate as a lovable motley crew of Tramconductors behind the goal .I think my first halfpenny is still in my treasury somewhere; I forwent some black and white striped humbugs to keep it. If only you could diet like that now.

Stayed up Friday night watching another well loved team become a motley crew until artificial light exceeded natural light (hoping that hope was not in vain) that we would live to bat another day and by Voges they did. During this swing high swing low horror show I researched the material available on the blabbermouth net to formulate a question for our guest politicians on the morrow. No such luck when Big Richard W exercised the Guillotine and excused ‘Greenland’s’ local members from question time from the floor. Well if you don’t mind. Like my own well meaning and not so well meaning detractors say “what a ‘waist’ (sic)” ; for once however the house was not in uproar.

Where was the fire in the belly of the 1975 thesis, that led to her doctorate, Damned Whores and God’s Police, where Anne Summers set out to describe the way in which Australia's history and culture had limited women's participation in our own society. One Poli could only offer quotas for women, as her party had done, as the solution; another Poli mused that more men should take up house husband roles to support their wife/ partner/ legal parent #2?. Out of left field our Senator bemoaned the loss from parliamentary participation of whole other classes , not just women, but working class people. Train Drivers? (Chifley), storekeepers? dare we say backwoodsmen/persons? (like honest Abe) and regretted the homogeneous nature of members of all persuasions. I presume, but may be wrong, he means tertiary educated , middle class cossetted individuals parachuted into associateships after Service Club international exchanges or joining either Big Capital corporate law firms or fellow traveller Unions as research officers without experience of ground floor participation as the Mums and Dad investor cohorts or workforces of those they supposedly represent before spring boarding to major party preselection. Ah! opportunity lost but like football there is always next year.

The Redders previous Premiership coaches including Graham Burgen of the noughties had been the prequel to the postulated poli polemic and they regaled their former assembled teammates and all others with “tall tales and true of their legendary pasts” which elevated the now incorporated entity of the Reds into C Grade from E grade, as it then was, as part of the rebadged Fitzroy FC which has since moved to Premier B and is presently striving to compete in Premier A asap . The Oldboys flag waving and theme song singing was still going strong well into the evening and their self showered kudos were most deserving.

The final speaker was our fine young guest Lauren Arnell who after interview with President Joan Eddy answered a question summarised as “Can women like Peta Searle work within male power structures to produce quality results as Peta has in her time as coach of the Darebin Falcons , then at St. Kevin’s in Premier B and now in her assistant coaching role at St Kilda FC in the AFL.”.

Lauren’s response was thoughtful, considered, clear and insightful. She must be a very polished quick thinking midfielder and was a superb role model herself to our young Fitzroy ACU young women’s team members in attendance at the luncheon.

Out on the BSO Jack Dalton celebrated his 100th game by kicking the first goal leading to an avalanche after quarter time of many more. Best players this week were Sam Baker, Dan Bisetto, Matt Kyroussis,, Ross Borland, Tom Biscaro, ‘El’ Green, Max Ellis, Dylan ‘Great Restraint’ Patcas and all the other goal kickers, didn’t perform too badly either, which is rare praise for them from this source. Last Week against Mazenod I thought Greg Hesse , Rory ‘Samurai’ Angiolella and Will Johnson were unlucky to be left out of the best but the news for the last number of weeks is the rapid consistent form rise and performance amongst our recent graduated or still Under 19’s getting senior selection namely Luke Edwards, Nathan Ligris, Aiden Lambert and earlier in the year Max Davie. Some may be needed when Wolf, Brownie and Dalts go to warmer climes (than Brighton Beach oval) in NZ this week to ski off piste. Lets hope the club don’t feel reverse off piste if we lose this week. If we win we are back in the hunt for the Brighton Redlegs spot in the final four if we keep winning to the end. Half time this week saw John T Harms, satisfied the Lions had the game in the bag, rush off to Kardinia Park to watch other cats in the Alternative Football League. We did not see a helicopter. All cats big and small last Saturday I’m sure saluted for our cat Biggles who took to the sky eternal after a short unexpected demise last week. Fly high Biggs!

So on to Beach Road Brighton where committed Greenies should bring tents, yak fat, whale oil, kerosene lanterns and heaters and warm themselves as they would have billions in the world do without our blessed 400 year world supply of Australian coal. No doubt such commitment truly ends with the last sip of coal fired electricity warmed flat blacks, cappuccinos and lattes. A half formed wish is like a half warmed fish as Dr. Spooner might say.

Go Roysters

I know that this was a bit of a dead rubber for Hampton and just wondering if I was the only person who thought that they rolled over in the second half once they realised they were out of the contest, because they're not going anywhere this season.
Not the only person. The verbal between some spectators and players at the half time siren promised an interesting second half, but alas, it all went very flat.

I have been watching the replay and a thought crossed my mind after reading Steve's piece. A nick name for young Dillon is forming in my mind. We received several 25 metre penalties in the third quarter but they were all 'off camera' but, once again, young Dillon was in the area of a cheap free kick to us.

What about calling him 'Twenty Five'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back