Noel Mugavin

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2001
Junction Oval Members. Row H Seat 69
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC the only team.
all our players tried their hardest however to me one player signals the demise of us.

costly, injured, "past it", didn't want to get mud on his shorts.

jeff hogg

surely nobody was worse than that.

post Laurie Serafini wearing the number 10, there was a bloke we imported from WA (from memory) in the late 80s who was reasonably solid, who (from memory) ended up in the 10 guernsey - saw him in a pre-season comp game and thought he might be alright.... turned out that (once again from memory, and it is dimming) he didn't play in the seniors (or at least didn't play well) and was a dud.

can't remember his name.

and am I dreaming or did Jamie Shaw play for us? The big tattooed Preston forward who was a goalkicking machine in the VFA but not much value in the big league.

others ala Hoggy who turned out to be 'duds' (in the sense that they didn't play well for us) who we imported from other AFL/VFL teams:
John Rantall (why did we bother)
Len Thompson (one year)
Max Richardson (did Max play a senior game in the end?)

Brad Edwards is the man you're thinking of Adey. Came in off the square in an Ansett cup match at Waverley against Richmond and cleaned up Dale Weightman I think at the opening centre bounce.

Peter Landy came up with "Not the sort of bloke you'd steal a beer from at the pub" quote. His reputation as a hard man far outweighed reality in this instance.

You can also add John Cassin to the list of players that finished their careers at the Roys for not much value.

Stroops and Guard were semi-useful....

Another to add to the list was Tim Rendell - taller than his brother, but didn't live up to expectations. Injury depleated?

Early 80s - Grant O'Riley #6. I remember him running on out at Waverley one day at the 29 and a half minute mark of the last quarter, for his first run of the day. He got to the square, the siren sounded and he jogged off laughing - all the kids ran up to him to pat him on the back and say "great game" rather sarcastically... I also remember him missing a goal from half a metre out at Princes Park one day as well.

I think we need to set up a "Fitzroy's Crappiest Team Of The Century".

F: __________ Jeff Hogg ________
HF:__________ ________ ________
C: John Rantall _________ John Cassin
HB:________ __________ ________
FB: ________ __________ _______

Fol: Len Thompson ________ _______
I/C:______ ________ ______ ________

Coach: _________

Fill em up.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew Cavedon
Matthew Bourke ('91)
Chris Waterson
Mark Bunn

Bit rough naming Jeremy Guard there Shiva. I thought he was a very handy player in his first few seasons, he did taper off but he couldve been anything in my opinion.

Originally posted by Yippyio
Andrew Cavedon
Matthew Bourke ('91)
Chris Waterson
Mark Bunn

Didn't Mark Bunn come runner up in a B&F in 91 or 92?

How about David Rankin (early 80's)
Graeme Wilkinson (mid 80's)
Murray Browne (from Collingwood)
Grant Thomas.

Michael Roberts, Dean Farnham, Max George...

I have to agree Hogg is the worst though, as he had talent to burn in his early years at Richmond & we really needed him to fire. The team had been designed around a full forward & he seemed the best available, when Lynch flew the coop. He cost us Broderick, Gale & Dundas & basically gave us nothing in return. I think he was trying, but his body was no longer capable. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back