Five most memorable racing results last 25 years

Remove this Banner Ad

I know you struggle to read threads properly but might want to look at the subject title.

Pity that at least one other poster mentioned Dulcify's 1979 Cox Plate. Oh the irony !

Don't know about best ever but absolutely amazing. Just broke their hearts.

Find me a better performance. Secretariat won by a mere 31 lengths.

Eyes bulging and fired right up pre race, then they couldn't pull him up and he wanted to go around again post race. Given that he had never put in a performance near that level before you have to wonder if he was given any "assistance" for that race

So like Rocket Racer in the 87 Perth Cup although I dare anyone to say Perth racing in the 1980's was in any way crooked.

the other one I liked which hasn't been mentioned is the 2005 Cox Plate - Maykbe Diva

When they all took aoff around the turn coming 8 and 10 wide..

1. 2005 Melbourne Cup 3 peat for the Diva

2. Lonhro's Australian cup win

3. Yeats (UK) 4 Ascot Gold Cup wins in a row over the 4000m!

4. Choisir's defining win starting the trend of Australian horses invasion of Royal Ascot sprint races

5. A personal one Viewed winning the Melbourne Cup by a bees dick, purely based on my biggest ever collect had $50 e/w on it

Slight derail from thread title but I think some of Vo Rogue's performances were incredible. Many times left high class horses in his wake including Bonecrusher, Super Impose, Campaign King etc. Not sure if any would be top 5, '88 Aus Cup was a cracker but outside time frame (plus a punting blowout).

Used to love watching him roll along in front and break their hearts.

Slight derail from thread title but I think some of Vo Rogue's performances were incredible. Many times left high class horses in his wake including Bonecrusher, Super Impose, Campaign King etc. Not sure if any would be top 5, '88 Aus Cup was a cracker but outside time frame (plus a punting blowout).

Used to love watching him roll along in front and break their hearts.

Some of those Rogue wins in autumn WFA races were just so easy

Reckon its best win was 1990 Aust Cup when beat B loosen Up

Nothing suss about a dozen blokes holding a horse while it walks off the track so it doesn't collapse...right?..

I remember that at the time despite being young.
******* Laurie Connell was a crook, they had him on that much elephant juice. Connell was later convicted of paying a jockey to stay out of Australia and was a shady bastard that counted Brian Burke and Alan Bond as mates.
This was heartbreaking to watch, that son of a bitch shouldn't have been allowed on racetracks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few not mentioned...

Vintage Crop, the hurdler who changed the face of the Melbourne Cup

Schillaci doing the impossible to win his second Lightning and reeling off phenomenal sectionals

Black Caviar's second Lightning, having to pull out all the stops to beat Hay List after dropping back from 1200 the previous week

Great idea for a thread.
Memorable Australian performances of the last 25 years;
  • Better Loosen Up's Japan Cup Win
  • The finish of the 92' Cox Plate
  • Sunline's 2000 Cox Plate
  • Might and Power's 97 Caulfield Cup
  • Diva's 3rd Cup
Memorable performances, all countries;
  • Secretariat's 31 length Belmont win
  • Dubai Millenium's 10 length win in the 2000 Dubai World Cup
  • Rachel Alexandra's win in the 2009 Kentucky Oaks
  • Frankel in the 2012 Juddmonte International
  • Hellissio in the 1996 'Arc

Couple from way back...

Tulloch's Caulfield Cup, winning in a canter in world record time as a 3yo after sitting four wide

Shannon's head defeat in the Epsom after missing the start by 25 lengths

There's video of both of these.

'33 Melbourne Cup. (or whatever Peter Pan was thread title GAGF)
Treve's second Arc
Makybe's third MC
Black Caviar vs Hay List
Bonecrusher CP (does this fit in he only died last year so GAGF also)

A few not mentioned...

Vintage Crop, the hurdler who changed the face of the Melbourne Cup

Schillaci doing the impossible to win his second Lightning and reeling off phenomenal sectionals

Black Caviar's second Lightning, having to pull out all the stops to beat Hay List after dropping back from 1400 the previous week

I believe in something like the previous 5 years - 150 horses had tried dropping back from 1400 to 1000 in the same time frame and only 1 had placed.

#immortal

'33 Melbourne Cup. (or whatever Peter Pan was thread title GAGF)
Treve's second Arc
Makybe's third MC
Black Caviar vs Hay List
Bonecrusher CP (does this fit in he only died last year so GAGF also)

Treve's second Arc was only memorable for the Waller-like horseshit form turnaround - her first was far more stunning and far more memorable (may have been there).

For mine - Frankel's 2000 Guineas win remains the most amazing single performance in living memory (probs Secretariat but it's on dirt and in the states so who GAF).

Think the Diva's third MC is probably THE moment for Australian racing in that time.

Nothing suss about a dozen blokes holding a horse while it walks off the track so it doesn't collapse...right?..

Ah yes, Elephant juice.

Glad that campaigner Connell got what was coming to him.

Makes me sick watching the horse being shoved back to the enclosure.

while the 5L on orfevre (however you spell it) was just stunning. i loved the back story behind the second when she burst through the pack was just more memorable for mine. in my book. win one you're a star, two: you're a champion. the niggles and questioning her ability just was cream on the top.

Now that I've read the thread and realised I'm only rehashing everyone else's, I will just go with iluvparis list

Only one I would change would be So you Think with unposted honourable mentions to retrospectively '99 Guineas TR vs RC and just because of the no ***** given ride, Gold Ships Tenno Sho. Zenyatta being butchered and hay lists Newmarket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back